Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Abramovic UK visa not renewed!!

Comments

• It is really a question of morals but one of the existing law in respect of money laundering - handling the proceeds of crime, wherever and whenever it occurred, is against our laws.
  • sm said:

It is really a question of morals but one of the existing law in respect of money laundering - handling the proceeds of crime, wherever and whenever it occurred, is against our laws.

We're on the same page in principal.

I would just observe the following. When I moved an amount of cash (the limit is 10k, to give you an idea of how much) from my HSBC current account to Charter Savings Bank by internet banking , in order to benefit from the princely interest rate of 1.3% on the latter I immediately got a call from HSBC's anti-fraud dept. And it is not the first time they did that. I asked them whether I should have asked their permission first before having the temerity to move my money out of their clutches.

Now, if we Google "HSBC" and "money laundering" then what do we find ?

So this may explain my cynicism. And it's a reason why I maintain threads like this. The British politicians (especially Tories) will only get tough, if they feel the British public are generally interested. Many are still happy to look away. The "victimless crime"....
  • You are right to be cynical, but the law is there if the Govt wishes to enforce it. Putin makes a big thing about the rule of law in Russia - and Russians are even more cynical.
  • He'll get his visa - they just want to send a message.

You may be right - but the real point to note here is that Putin has more than enough on Abramovitch to go after him if he doesn't continue to do what Putin wants. So guess who calls the tune.
  • edited May 2018
    sm said:

He'll get his visa - they just want to send a message.

You may be right - but the real point to note here is that Putin has more than enough on Abramovitch to go after him if he doesn't continue to do what Putin wants. So guess who calls the tune.
    vice versa though. We've long passed the point where the oligarchs and putin's fate are intrinsically linked. Mutual benefit and mutual destruction.
  • Even if they don't renew it, which is highly unlikely, the notion that Chelsea will in some way collapse without him is a bit far fetched. Their player farming approach means they now turn a profit and in world football only Porto have made more money from player sales in the last 5-6 years.

There would be quite a few buyers interested if he was somehow forced to put them up for sale.
  • Granted Israeli citizenship and will now live in Tel Aviv. Exempt from taxes and declaring income for 10 years under Israeli law.
  • Sponsored links:

• Even if they don't renew it, which is highly unlikely, the notion that Chelsea will in some way collapse without him is a bit far fetched. Their player farming approach means they now turn a profit and in world football only Porto have made more money from player sales in the last 5-6 years.

There would be quite a few buyers interested if he was somehow forced to put them up for sale.

Duchatalet for starters.
  • Likelihood of him walking away from Chelsea now? Might do it just to make a point to the UK government. I guess his own affinity with Chelsea makes that unlikely but I would be a bit worried if I was a fan.
  • Apparently as part of the process to fast-track Oligarch's residency to the UK, the Home Office advise them to hold their wealth overseas to minimise their tax liability.

You couldn't make it up.
  • Likelihood of him walking away from Chelsea now? Might do it just to make a point to the UK government. I guess his own affinity with Chelsea makes that unlikely but I would be a bit worried if I was a fan.

Let's hope so & Chelsea get relegated.
  • edited May 2018

Of course it is intentional. But I suspect they will give it to him. They are just firing a shot across the bow of Putin's friends as a warning of what might be to come. I doubt May will do anything to permanently upset voters in one of the richest parts of England.

you’re assuming Chelsea fans know how to put an ‘x’ on a peice of paper
  • Granted Israeli citizenship and will now live in Tel Aviv. Exempt from taxes and declaring income for 10 years under Israeli law.

More pertinent is that you don’t need a Visa if coming to the U.K. on an Israeli passport.

More pertinent is that you don’t need a Visa if coming to the U.K. on an Israeli passport.
    True - but just because he doesn't need a Visa on an Israeli passport doesn't mean the UK has to let him in the country.

Of more interest is the fact that all Israeli citizens - even immigrants - must perform three years national service in the armed forces unless they can find a genuine exemption.

Can't really see Roman taking on Hamas in Gaza myself but would be fun to watch.

True - but just because he doesn't need a Visa on an Israeli passport doesn't mean the UK has to let him in the country.

Of more interest is the fact that all Israeli citizens - even immigrants - must perform three years national service in the armed forces unless they can find a genuine exemption.

Can't really see Roman taking on Hamas in Gaza myself but would be fun to watch.
    Any holder of an Israeli passport may enter the UK unopposed (subject to normal legal conditions ie convicted murderer etc). However this only entitles them to a "short stay" each time. He is Jewish so maybe he'll look to Jeremy Corbyn to help him...
  • Riviera said:

Granted Israeli citizenship and will now live in Tel Aviv. Exempt from taxes and declaring income for 10 years under Israeli law.

Any holder of an Israeli passport may enter the UK unopposed (subject to normal legal conditions ie convicted murderer etc). However this only entitles them to a "short stay" each time. He is Jewish so maybe he'll look to Jeremy Corbyn to help him...
    Well, he did murder our chances of getting into Europe when he bought Parker, so there is that at least....

What message? If they have no intention of refusing it long term, then this whole thing is fking pointless
  • Sponsored links:

• And now, Bill Browder is arrested in Spain - Spain! - on a dodgy Russian Red Notice. Which of course is the name of his book, which I highly recommend, even if it won't improve your general mood.

Bill Browder has more financail resources than all of us on here put together, but it doesn't make him any less brave. Anyone worried about Putin, get on social media and tell those idiots in Spain to release him forthwith.
  • so he has an Israeli passport---maybe he should have read the small print ---two years National Service ,next stop Golan Heights ---enjoy
  • And now, Bill Browder is arrested in Spain - Spain! - on a dodgy Russian Red Notice. Which of course is the name of his book, which I highly recommend, even if it won't improve your general mood.

Bill Browder has more financail resources than all of us on here put together, but it doesn't make him any less brave. Anyone worried about Putin, get on social media and tell those idiots in Spain to release him forthwith.

already out, it was an expired warrant

Israelis will find a genuine exemption located in some large suitcases Roman is providing.
  • edited May 2018

Riviera said:

Granted Israeli citizenship and will now live in Tel Aviv. Exempt from taxes and declaring income for 10 years under Israeli law.

Well, he did murder our chances of getting into Europe when he bought Parker, so there is that at least....
    Reading The Nowhere Men at the moment and scouts within the game widely acknowledge Chelsea stockpile players at every level with no intention of ever playing them to stop other clubs getting them. Not anything we didn't already know but something has to be done about it.

Israelis will find a genuine exemption located in some large suitcases Roman is providing.
    No army in their right mind (and I agree that the IDF might well not be) is going to draft a 51 year old into service. In fact, single men who are "new arrivals" are exempt if they are older than 28. Shame really.

Of course, we can't expect the Spanish police to check the date on a warrant they have just received for the arrest of a very high profile British citizen, can we?

Still at least its before our Foreign Secretary has "intervened"; Browder would be half way to Moscow if that had happened.

Tha man himself asserts that this is bullshit, btw

• Surreal. Not sure what to think about this stunt. They had better have got some decent intelligence from it, because Putin's trolls will always refer to it whenever some serious shit news breaks.