Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Top five comics / graphic novels

I could fill this out with Alan Moore's V for Vendetta, Watchmen, From Hell, Marvelman and League of Extraordinary Gentleman but there's loads of other good stuff so I'll restrict myself to just one of his.

I'm going to ignore runs of certain issues in a title, e.g. Claremont and Byrne on Uncanny X-Men, Lee and Kirby on practically everything they collaborated on, O'Neill and Adams on Green Arrow, Moore, Bissette and Totleben on Swamp Thing, and choose only books where one writer did the whole thing.

So, here goes.

1=. Strangers in Paradise, Terry Moore; Sandman, Neil Gaiman with various artists
3. Cerebus the Aardvark, Dave Sim and Gerhard
4. V for Vendetta, Alan Moore and David Lloyd with Terry Weare
5. The Dark Knight Returns, Frank Miller and Lynn Varley

I could re-read any of those at the drop of a hat, and frequently have except for Cerebus which at 301 issues is something for when I've retired.

Comments

• Options
    Apart from the top one, this is tough.

1. The Sandman
    2. Fables
    3. Maus
    4. = From Hell / V for Vendetta
    5. = Transmetropolitan / Bone

• Options
    1. Watchmen - Alan Moore
    2. Sandman - Neil Gaiman
    3. Daredevil: Born Again - Frank Miller
    4. The Invisibles - Grant Morrison
    5. Thor - Walt Simonsen's entire run
  • Options
    Will watch this thread with interest

Over the last few weeks have been looking to get into Marvel and DC Comics (what with the films of late) yet dont know where to start
  • Options
    Tough to choose. Here's 5 best Batman to be going on with anyway

The Dark Knight Returns - Frank Miller, Klaus Janson, Lynn Varley
    Arkham Asylum - Grant Morrison, Dave McKean
    Killing Joke - Alan Moore, Brian Bolland
    Batman: Year One - Frank Miller, Dave Mazzuchelli
    White Knight - Sean Murphy
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    stonemuse said:

Apart from the top one, this is tough.

1. The Sandman
    2. Fables
    3. Maus
    4. = From Hell / V for Vendetta
    5. = Transmetropolitan / Bone

Another vote for Maus

The rest are going to be Tintin and asterix
  • Options
    Maus
  • Options
    Here's 5 that occur to me today. It'd probably be a different 5 tomorrow

Akira – Katsuhiro Otomo, sci-fi manga classic
    Blacksad – Juan Diaz Canales & Juanjo Guarnido, black cat detective stories, gorgeous artwork
    Locke & Key – Joe Hill & Gabriel Rodriguez, magical horror with beautifully detailed artwork
    Nextwave: Agents of Hate – Warren Ellis & Stuart Immonen, nutty, irreverent superhero parody
    Calvin & Hobbes – Bill Watterson, hilarious & utterly charming newspaper comic strips about a boy and his stuffed tiger
  • Options
    1. Maus
    2. The one with the badger who beats up the enemies of England.

Only two I've ever read.
  • Options
    Oh watchmen, without doubt
    Miller daredevil
    Usagi Yojimbo - any of it!
    Batman Hush
    Swamp Thing (Moore)
  • Options
    Uboat said:

1. Maus
    2. The one with the badger who beats up the enemies of England.

Only two I've ever read.

#2 sure does have a snappy title
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Missed It said:

Here's 5 that occur to me today. It'd probably be a different 5 tomorrow

Akira – Katsuhiro Otomo, sci-fi manga classic
    Blacksad – Juan Diaz Canales & Juanjo Guarnido, black cat detective stories, gorgeous artwork
    Locke & Key – Joe Hill & Gabriel Rodriguez, magical horror with beautifully detailed artwork
    Nextwave: Agents of Hate – Warren Ellis & Stuart Immonen, nutty, irreverent superhero parody
    Calvin & Hobbes – Bill Watterson, hilarious & utterly charming newspaper comic strips about a boy and his stuffed tiger

Agree about Locke and Key ... wonderful artwork
  • Options
    Not into this myself but my other half’s brother used to manage avalon comic shop in Clapham, now sadly closed.
    His knowledge is absolutely astounding.
    Countless times he’d order a new title for the shop, take 2 copies for himself, one to read and one to keep mint. Now these mint copies are worth silly money.
    He really is “comic shop guy” from the simpsons, only more knowledgable and he won’t mind me saying, geeky.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    ‘ Y: The last man’ is pretty good
  • Options

Not into this myself but my other half’s brother used to manage avalon comic shop in Clapham, now sadly closed.
    Countless times he’d order a new title for the shop, take 2 copies for himself, one to read and one to keep mint. Now these mint copies are worth silly money.
    He really is “comic shop guy” from the simpsons, only more knowledgable and he won’t mind me saying, geeky.

@paulbaconsarnie was he the owner or the younger guy?
  • Options
    Many decades ago, I worked for Marvel comics in the UK, or 'Transworld publishing' as it was in those days, in Holborn at the top of Chancery Lane. It was a 'casual job', and I took it in-between leaving art college, and going to do postgraduate teachers training college, I think that I got the job through an ad in 'Campaign'. The job was actually quite boring , inking in by 'rotoring' pen , changing a few words, the original artwork. The artist of the 'Hulk', liked to have the females in a 'distressed' state so, I used to fill in the ladies exposed cleavage. I left one Friday, and they paid a week in arrears, and the cheeky bastards bounced my cheque - from the bank of Boston, which I was a bit pissed off with, but it was a temp job. Good job I had helped myself to a few bits of artwork, which I flogged to a couple of comic shops in Soho a few months later.
    Besides creating a few adverts, it was rather boring, but better than filling the shelves of the local supermarket. Still, I never went onto teach, but did work in publishing, and once met Georges Remi, (Tin Tin, creator) who I photographed on a visit to London, who's work I adored as a child.
  • Options
    Also watching with interest.

Only ever been a massive Marvel fanboy from about 6 years old when buying one of the British re-prints by mistake, fell out of love with them around 17 as to me they starting getting a bit too 'serious'. The Marvel comicbook universe has changed far too much for me, but hear good things about a lot of short run graphic novels etc. So looking for ideas! (And not just Marvel)
  • Options

@AddicksAddict
    The younger fella Mark.
    Bruce owned it but moved to Eastleigh and basically left mark to run it.
    They had some loyal customers but not enough to compete with shops like the forbidden planet and people ordering online. They went mail order for a while but in the end Bruce retired and Mark has a health issue so they let it go.
  • Options
    A thread about graphic novels is not something I ever thought I'd see on charlton life. I'm a.marvel fan so other then number 1 marvel fills the list.
    1. Dark knight returns-a superb story the batman v superman as it should be not what we got on the big screen.
    2. Secret Wars (the original)- okay the story is ridiculous but I loves it the ultimate marvel good guy v bad guy story
    3. Ultimate War - set in marvels now defunct Ultimate Universe this was all out war between the X men and the ultimate (the avengers)
    4. Death of Captain Marvel even superheroes can die and remain dead cancer beating the great man
    5. Marvels- the tale of superheroes though the ages from a bystanders point of view.
  • Options

Over the last few weeks have been looking to get into Marvel and DC Comics (what with the films of late) yet dont know where to start

@ForeverAddickted Getting hold of originals of some of the early stuff is hideously expensive so your best bet is to get some collections from the library or borrow them from someone (I've got a few).

Apart from anything mentioned on this thread, e.g. Dark Knight Returns, Simonson's Thor, these are my suggestions
    the first eighteen issues of X-Men from the '60s.
    the first fifty-odd issues of Fantastic Four from the '60s.

Batman by Denny O'Neill ('70s I think)

Chris Claremont and Frank Miller's Wolverine - four issues and not a wasted panel

Frank Miller's first Daredevil run from issue 158

Alan Moore's Superman and Action issues

See what you like and then try more of the same characters. Just a word of warning: if you get into X-Men, there are an near Infinite number of titles to wade through.
  • Options

@AddicksAddict
    The younger fella Mark.
    Bruce owned it but moved to Eastleigh and basically left mark to run it.
    They had some loyal customers but not enough to compete with shops like the forbidden planet and people ordering online. They went mail order for a while but in the end Bruce retired and Mark has a health issue so they let it go.

@paulbaconsarnie Sorry to hear Mark's not been well, next time you see him, tell him Marlon says hello and wishes him all the best.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

@ForeverAddickted Getting hold of originals of some of the early stuff is hideously expensive so your best bet is to get some collections from the library or borrow them from someone (I've got a few).

Apart from anything mentioned on this thread, e.g. Dark Knight Returns, Simonson's Thor, these are my suggestions
    the first eighteen issues of X-Men from the '60s.
    the first fifty-odd issues of Fantastic Four from the '60s.

Batman by Denny O'Neill ('70s I think)

Chris Claremont and Frank Miller's Wolverine - four issues and not a wasted panel

Frank Miller's first Daredevil run from issue 158

Alan Moore's Superman and Action issues

See what you like and then try more of the same characters. Just a word of warning: if you get into X-Men, there are an near Infinite number of titles to wade through.

Comixology.com is excellent for getting hold of the old and out of print stuff without having to go hunting for back issues of forking out a fortune, if you don't mind reading on a screen, or giving your money to Amazon.

Be careful though, I ended up spending far more on comics than I ever would if I had to call in to a real comic shop every week.
  • Options
    Considering the sarcastic comments that get made on far less anoraky/geeky subject than this, I am truly astounded that everyone seems to be taking it seriously!

Where are the usual suspects with "Beano" and "Whizzer & Chips" as suggestions? :lol:
  • Options

Considering the sarcastic comments that get made on far less anoraky/geeky subject than this, I am truly astounded that everyone seems to be taking it seriously!

Where are the usual suspects with "Beano" and "Whizzer & Chips" as suggestions? :lol:

Nothing wrong with the Beano, it does a very good job of what it sets out to do. However, UK comics until 2000AD, Warrior, and Deadline, unless you consider the underground stuff like Oz, where almost universally aimed at young kids whereas on the continent, in the Far East, and in the US, they were aimed at all age groups.
  • Options
    Arm Fall Off Boy
    Dog Welder
    Blue Snowman
    Fiddler
    Brother Power The Geek

• Options

Arm Fall Off Boy
    Dog Welder
    Blue Snowman
    Fiddler
    Brother Power The Geek

Arm Fall Off Boy - best super-hero name ever, closely followed by The Shoveler from Mystery Men.
  • Options

Arm Fall Off Boy
    Dog Welder
    Blue Snowman
    Fiddler
    Brother Power The Geek

Arm Fall Off Boy - best super-hero name ever, closely followed by The Shoveler from Mystery Men.
    Personally I also like "Matter Eater Lad" (with the power to eat things)
  • Options

Arm Fall Off Boy
    Dog Welder
    Blue Snowman
    Fiddler
    Brother Power The Geek

I'd pay good money to see the Adventures of Arm Fall Off Boy!

One Punch Man has some quality superheroes too.

Armoured Chief Clerk
    Gasmask Cowboy
    Smell Master
  • Options
    edited May 2018

Also watching with interest.

Only ever been a massive Marvel fanboy from about 6 years old when buying one of the British re-prints by mistake, fell out of love with them around 17 as to me they starting getting a bit too 'serious'. The Marvel comicbook universe has changed far too much for me, but hear good things about a lot of short run graphic novels etc. So looking for ideas! (And not just Marvel)

@CL_Phantom
    Things that don't go to more than twelve issues: Watchmen, From Hell, Wolverine (Claremont and Miller), Ronin, The Dark Knight Returns, V for Vendetta, Sin City, Killing Joke, Marvels.

Longer stuff: Sandman - only the Neil Gaiman issues; Strangers in Paradise and, indeed, anything by Terry Moor, Preacher; Bone; Akira. Most of these can be got as reprinted collections of about eight to twelve issues at a time.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:

Arm Fall Off Boy
    Dog Welder
    Blue Snowman
    Fiddler
    Brother Power The Geek

Personally I also like "Matter Eater Lad" (with the power to eat things)
    The Legion has got more quality names than any other comic, mainly because they had more characters than any other comic!