Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Man City linked with Sarmiento

13»

Comments

• Seem to recall McGinty had an apparent attitude issue. Sure I read somewhere that one of the last things Fergie did as manager was release him and give him a public bollocking!
  • Wasn't he done for drink drive and involved in a couple of other incidents that got into the press?

Remember speaking to one of the Academy managers at Charlton just after he had gone to Utd (now about 9 years ago) and he was surprised that he had been selected to go there. Said at the time that he would absolutely welcome him back, but didn't feel he was good enough to be going there.
  • Rate of physical development must come into it I would have thought.

Some boys are nearly men at 11 whereas others are 15,16 or sometimes even older before their growth spurt.

I know nothing about how players are selected by clubs for contracts but if I was doing it I wouldn't necessarily bin a small lad with ability because a year on he could be very different physically.
  • LenGlover said:

Rate of physical development must come into it I would have thought.

Some boys are nearly men at 11 whereas others are 15,16 or sometimes even older before their growth spurt.

I know nothing about how players are selected by clubs for contracts but if I was doing it I wouldn't necessarily bin a small lad with ability because a year on he could be very different physically.

Once they finish growing then they can begin to bulk, players can turn from being weak but technically gifted at 18 to absolute beasts by the time they’re 22-23. Look at Harry Kane as a prime example.
  • Islam Feruz
    LenGlover said:

Rate of physical development must come into it I would have thought.

I'm sure I read that Scott McTominay was miles behind other youngsters at united then last year he shot up and is now very much part of the first team squad
  • Sounds like he made a really good impression against Eastbourne today and ended up scoring the winning goal.

How good will he end up being I wonder? And how long can we hang on to him?
  • Sounds like he made a really good impression against Eastbourne today and ended up scoring the winning goal.

Careful Callumfc, don't take too much notice of what I wrote at Eastbourne. I'm no Tutt-Tutt. If there were grades for footballing knowledge, I'd only scrape a C at GCSE. But I will be looking out for him to see how he progresses.
  • edited July 2018
    As I said on the other thread I heard he’d already left so seeing his name is bloody great news.
    Reliably informed he’s “the dobermans undercarriage”

Only recently (June) turned 16 - can we get him on a contract now?
  • Another 11 months I believe.
  • Sponsored links:

• Unless rules have recently changed then no, players can’t sign pro until they’re 17.
  • He came on for the 2nd half and dominated proceedings. He was head and shoulders above the other outfield players.

It would be nice to see him played in the rest of the first team pre-seasons.

The guy was mustard.
  • Hope I’m wrong but I suspect he’ll be gone long before he’s anywhere near our first team.
  • I thought at 16 you could sign some form of pre contract agreement ?
  • Really dont know what the rush is for young players to go and stagnate with big clubs.Surely a few years learning the game in the lower regions is far superior to rotting in someones 5th team then going on loan for 10 years then being forgotten.
  • All about money I suppose.

Say you're 16 and a club offers you £10,000 to £20,000 a week on a three year contract, yippee doo fill yer boots.

But as mentioned above you stagnate in the reserves or get farmed out to another club. Maybe in that time you realise that you were only bought by Club A to stop Clubs B, C and D from getting you.

At the end of your contract you've not played many games so no one knows you and you're now 19 and probably past it in some clubs eyes. you then struggle you get any sort of contract but hey you've made a few bob in the last few years.

• Dont agree with it yet s'pose its also easy money for a few years

Sarmiento could stay with Charlton on say £500 per week yet then pick up an injury that ends his career before its began or even be released by Charlton because we dont think he's good enough - Archie Edwards is a perfect example of both those scenarios combined really

By going to Man City he'll basically win the lottery and wont matter if he doesnt make it there because its likely another Football League side will snap him up, worst case scenario is he'll also get a career ending injury at Man City yet will be more comfortable because of the wage hike.
  • Bang on. Just ask Diego Poyet.
  • Sponsored links: