Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Your England 23 man squad

Comments

• Disappointed as well by the inclusion of Cahill and Jones, feel there have been better / fitter CBs than them

World Cup isnt long but cant afford players to get injured
  • Lewis Cook is on the Standby list
  • England's standby list: Tom Heaton, James Tarkowski, Lewis Cook, Jake Livermore and Adam Lallana.

Joe Hart and Jack Wilshere not even back-up.
  • Tarkowski for Cahill
    Shelvey for Delph
    Anyone for Welbeck

That aside it’s probably as good as it could be
  • Feel for Tarkowski, he's had a blinding season.
  • is lallana not fit or something?
  • More disappointed that the midfield lacks creativity in the middle apart Loftus-Cheek. The rest of them are hard workers and i really cant see LC starting the game.

Another on Standby
  • Sponsored links:

• Disappointed as well by the inclusion of Cahill and Jones, feel there have been better / fitter CBs than them

World Cup isnt long but cant afford players to get injured

As always, when it comes down to it, the England manager bottles it and sticks with the same old names.
  • I reckon it'll be a three-man defence with Walker on its right-hand side, which Southgate did recently. I appreciate this is very, very attacking, but I can see:

GK: Pickford (I'd have Pope though)
    CB: Stones
    CB: Maguire
    CB: Walker
    RWB: Trippier
    LWB: Young
    CDM: Dier
    CAM: Alli
    RW: Sterling
    LW: Rashford
    ST: Kane

Given the defensive duties of the wing-backs, as well as Dier, I'm happy with Alli, Sterling, Rashford, and Kane all being in the same side.

However, in the squad I'd have had Tarkowski over Cahill, Ward-Prowse or Cook over Loftus-Cheek, and Shelvey for Welbeck (not like for like I know).
  • PaddyP17 said:

I reckon it'll be a three-man defence with Walker on its right-hand side, which Southgate did recently. I appreciate this is very, very attacking, but I can see:

GK: Pickford (I'd have Pope though)
    CB: Stones
    CB: Maguire
    CB: Walker
    RWB: Trippier
    LWB: Young
    CDM: Dier
    CAM: Alli
    RW: Sterling
    LW: Rashford
    ST: Kane

Given the defensive duties of the wing-backs, as well as Dier, I'm happy with Alli, Sterling, Rashford, and Kane all being in the same side.

However, in the squad I'd have had Tarkowski over Cahill, Ward-Prowse or Cook over Loftus-Cheek, and Shelvey for Welbeck (not like for like I know).

That should be the minimum attacking side against Panama and Tunisia. Absolutely no reason to have two holding players in Dire and Henderson starting.
  • Ross said:

Surprised that Ryan Bertrand isn't in there.

Too many CBs, not enough creativity in the midfield.

4 centre backs which isn't that many if Southgate is going to play 352.

Genuinely don't see how Wilshere isn't even on the standby list. I get there's always a fitness issue with him, but he's played more than Delph this season who's been selected.
  • Ross said:

Surprised that Ryan Bertrand isn't in there.

Too many CBs, not enough creativity in the midfield.

4 centre backs which isn't that many if Southgate is going to play 352.

Genuinely don't see how Wilshere isn't even on the standby list. I get there's always a fitness issue with him, but he's played more than Delph this season who's been selected.
    4 true CBs yes, but Walker will probably play there too on the right of the 3, as can Dier. That's 6 players for 3 positions. Bit of overkill imo.

Pleased he has stuck to his guns and not picked a player who has not been playing. Surprised there was not room for Shelvey.
  • Gareth Southgate on his England squad:

“I believe this is a squad which we can be excited about,“ he said.

“It is a young group, but with some really important senior players so I feel the balance of the squad is good, both in terms of its experience, its character and also the positional balance.

“We have a lot of energy and athleticism in the team, but players that are equally comfortable in possession of the ball and I think people can see the style of play we’ve been looking to develop.

“The selection process has been over months really, it’s not just been the last few weeks. We feel the team are improving and we want to continue that momentum."

Welbeck, no goals, Cahill played limited games at Chelsea and Jones a carthorse.

After saying a balanced squad in terms of experience and character Southagate should work as a double glazing salesman.
  • What Shelvey gives you is something different - seems like a bit of a no brainer having options, especially as he is in form but Southgate is the manager and will live or die on the back of his decisions. If he has a decent tournament, good luck to him, but if he doesn't I am going to get angry if he makes excuses.
  • Sponsored links:

• IT_Andy said:

Gareth Southgate on his England squad:

I believe this is a squad which we can be excited about,“ he said.

“It is a young group, but with some really important senior players so I feel the balance of the squad is good, both in terms of its experience, its character and also the positional balance.

“We have a lot of energy and athleticism in the team, but players that are equally comfortable in possession of the ball and I think people can see the style of play we’ve been looking to develop.

“The selection process has been over months really, it’s not just been the last few weeks. We feel the team are improving and we want to continue that momentum."

Welbeck, no goals, Cahill played limited games at Chelsea and Jones a carthorse.

After saying a balanced squad in terms of experience and character Southagate should work as a double glazing salesman.

I've been more excited about a weekend trip to ikea.
  • Smalling can feel slightly hard done by, with Jones and Cahill being called up and not him. I imagine it's because they're better with the ball

That might have counted against Tarkowski too, a great "stopper" but not so comfortable in possession, and Burnley don't play in that style anyway

Picking players like Delph and Young suggests Southgate has gone for versatility. I'm certainly rather have Delph in midfield (even if he hasn't played there much this season) than Livermore
  • Ashley Young? God help us.
  • edited May 2018
    Am I the only one who likes it? My only change, I would've probably swapped out one of the centre backs for a creative type like Lallana.

Other than that, it's pretty much exactly what was expected.
  • Delph & L- Cheek ahead of Shelvey?
    Southgate's an FA man: fearful of the creative maverick, and a slave to the labourer.
  • edited May 2018
    Southgate is the manager and good luck to him - he needs to pick the squad he thinks will do the job. We might disagree but it is on him. I think we have to realistically get through the group stages and the next game and he would have reached par and should keep his job. If he does less than that he ought to walk if he isn't sacked. I hope of course he succeeds. What we don't want is three tournaments of failure like we had with Hodgson.
  • Laugh all you want but I guarantee you Germany, Spain, Brazil, Belgium et all are shiteing themselves at the amount of athleticism our squad has.