Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2018 FIFA World Cup Thread

Comments

• Options

dizzee said:

France have so much depth they have left out:

-Benzema
    -Martial
    -Payet
    -Rabiot
    -Lacazette
    -Laporte
    -Coman
    -Yedder
    -Bakayoko
    -Kondogbia

Unbelievable.

Whether they click and play well together we will have to wait and see.. but in terms of individual talent they have such a talented pool of players.

Bakayoko has been terrible to be fair.
    He has been awful but obviously still talented. Even if you take him out that list you can replace him with Gignac. Ridiculous depth.
  • Options
    dizzee said:

dizzee said:

-Benzema
    -Martial
    -Payet
    -Rabiot
    -Lacazette
    -Laporte
    -Coman
    -Yedder
    -Bakayoko
    -Kondogbia

Unbelievable.

Whether they click and play well together we will have to wait and see.. but in terms of individual talent they have such a talented pool of players.

He has been awful but obviously still talented. Even if you take him out that list you can replace him with Gignac. Ridiculous depth.
    Unless I'm confusing him with another Gignac... Why would you do a swap with him and Bakayoko?

One is a Striker, the other is a Defensive Midfielder?
  • Options

dizzee said:

dizzee said:

-Benzema
    -Martial
    -Payet
    -Rabiot
    -Lacazette
    -Laporte
    -Coman
    -Yedder
    -Bakayoko
    -Kondogbia

Unbelievable.

Unless I'm confusing him with another Gignac... Why would you do a swap with him and Bakayoko?

One is a Striker, the other is a Defensive Midfielder?
    Its just a list of good players left out, dont think position really matters....
  • Options

that squad looks very good. I see them crashing out at the group stage to mass bewilderment and embarrassment.

Tee-hee
  • Options
    France's 23 man squad NOT going is better than Englands going(apart from GK)

• Options
    No it isn't.
  • Options
    Let’s see where France are come first week in July. We all know they ain’t keen on a bit of pressure.
  • Options
    France always end up having massive arguments which derail their World Cup plans.

Out of all the sides in Russia this year the only two that I think are guaranteed to get out of their Group are Germany and Brazil
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

On paper you’d say that looks better but I doubt you’ve watched many of these players. Quite a few have had dreadful seasons

If that French 23 was English it’d be getting ripped apart for containing players on terrible form ffs
  • Options

France always end up having massive arguments which derail their World Cup plans.

Out of all the sides in Russia this year the only two that I think are guaranteed to get out of their Group are Germany and Brazil

Really??
    Spain will finish in top 2 with Portugual, Morocco and Iran in there group

France will finish in top 2 with Denmark, Peru and Australia

Cant see England or Belgium failing to qualify with Tunisia and Panama
  • Options
    edited May 2018

Not the entire squad but there's names there - Payet, Lacazette, Benzema, Martial and Laporte - that would walk into an England squad, if not the first XI for most of them.
  • Options

Really??
    Spain will finish in top 2 with Portugual, Morocco and Iran in there group

France will finish in top 2 with Denmark, Peru and Australia

Cant see England or Belgium failing to qualify with Tunisia and Panama
    Belgium I'd agree. Could easily see us stuffing it up, though I think we'll be OK.
  • Options
    Based on the responses I've had... How many expected Costa Rica to get out of their Group?

France have a piss easy Group yet eight years ago got a point from Uruguay | Mexico | South Africa

When I said that Germany / Brazil are the only sides guaranteed to get out of their Groups, they're the only two sides you'd never expect to struggle regardless of the other three teams that they're put with
  • Options
    edited May 2018

well I think your being a bit inconsiderate to Panama there
  • Options
    edited May 2018

Based on the responses I've had... How many expected Costa Rica to get out of their Group?

France have a piss easy Group yet eight years ago got a point from Uruguay | Mexico | South Africa

When I said that Germany / Brazil are the only sides guaranteed to get out of their Groups, they're the only two sides you'd never expect to struggle regardless of the other three teams that they're put with

Absolutely. If football has taught me anything the last few years its how unpredictable it is (especially when I’ve had a bet).
  • Options

Absolutely. If football has taught me anything the last few years its how unpredictable it is (especially when I’ve had a bet).
    I wont bet on it as will probably back fire yet wont be surprised if one from the below fails to get to the 2nd Round

England | Belgium | France | Spain | Argentina | Portugal
  • Options
    Can see Portugual struggling.

Not exactly full of talent and can see that group finishing

Spain 9 points
    Portugual 4 points
    Iran 4 points
    Morocco 0 points

And it goes down to GD for 2nd
  • Options
    What makes the World Cup even better than the Euros now is the fact that you cant get through if you finish third... Every Group game @ Euro 2016 was poor because it was about ensuring a draw so you stood a chance to progress.

At the World Cup though, if you lose the first game you're putting yourself at risk of instant elimination

i.e. Germany v Portugal was the first game of their Group in Brazil; Germany won 4-0 which meant that Portugal missed out qualifying for the 2nd Round on Goal Difference (United States pipped them to it)

Portugal v Spain is the first game this year too so the losers of that will have a lot of catching up to do - Its one reason why I'm relieved that England v Belgium is the last game as fully see that as a draw, with both teams trying to avoid what might be a potential Second Round clash against Colombia
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    France squad looks very good , but 3 strikers doesn't really leave them much Giroud, Mbappe and Greizeman. Seems a bit flawed to me and will need a bit of luck.

Still cant believe Wilshere is in there, makes no sense at all and Delph getting in even as a utility player i dont get he has been injured for half the season.
  • Options
    And the England squad of top internationals is Kane,.Sterling, Alli and err..that other bloke and what's his name who used to play for Chelsea..etc etc.

Weakest England defence in world cup history and most boring midfield.

And most underqualified manager.
  • Options
    dizzee said:

dizzee said:

-Benzema
    -Martial
    -Payet
    -Rabiot
    -Lacazette
    -Laporte
    -Coman
    -Yedder
    -Bakayoko
    -Kondogbia

Unbelievable.

Bakayoko is one of the worse players in premier league history, would not even put him in the Charlton side.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    I believe people were pretty uninspired about our squad pre Italia 90 and Euro 96 and we suprised a few people along with having a bit of luck. Pre Japan 02 we had the golden generation and were in the main a disappointment along with every tournament since. Young squad + lack of expectation could = a good tournament for us.
  • Options

And the England squad of top internationals is Kane,.Sterling, Alli and err..that other bloke and what's his name who used to play for Chelsea..etc etc.

Have you ever seen how poor Joachim Low was when he was in club Football?

He was sacked @ Karlsruhe (basically relegated them), won the German Cup once and was Runner-Up in the Cup Winners Cup (Nearly 20-years before he won the World Cup with Germany) - Oh he also won the Austrian League.

Southgate hasnt won anything himself, but other International Managers havent exactly set the world alight in Club Football
  • Options

He was sacked @ Karlsruhe (basically relegated them), won the German Cup once and was Runner-Up in the Cup Winners Cup (Nearly 20-years before he won the World Cup with Germany) - Oh he also won the Austrian League.

Southgate hasnt won anything himself, but other International Managers havent exactly set the world alight in Club Football
    Plus the experience Southgate had with the under 21s(and managing a number of the current 1st team squad)
  • Options
    Just pulled out Russia and Mexico in the sweep at work. FFS.
  • Options

Plus the experience Southgate had with the under 21s(and managing a number of the current 1st team squad)
    I guess the advantage Low has had in that respect is the fact he was Assistant Coach to Klinsmann originally so was well known the playing staff etc. Yet look at our youth sides and those that are managing them at the moment:

Aide Boothroyd: You wouldnt want him anywhere near your team yet doing well with the U21s

Keith Downing: He's now in charge of the U20s continuing the good work from Paul Simpson who won the World Cup at that age group last year, yet flopped with Cheltenham

Paul Simpson: As mentioned yet his CV has Preston | Stockport | Shrewsbury | Carlisle on it

None of them have great looking CVs but at the moment it seems to be working for England which is the main thing...

Read a good article today which says that Southgate is no longer banning chips (Players will just smuggle them in) or phones (get players showing each other vidoes during dinner etc.), certainly seems less disciplined than Capello etc. which'll hopefully be a good thing
  • Options
    Laddick01 said:

On paper you’d say that looks better but I doubt you’ve watched many of these players. Quite a few have had dreadful seasons

If that French 23 was English it’d be getting ripped apart for containing players on terrible form ffs
    A lot of them have not had bad seasons at all. Kondogbia has been brilliant along with Rabiot and many more.