Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2018 FIFA World Cup Thread

Comments

• Options
    Belgian home kit certainly has to be up there as one of the worst

I know its a nod to one of their 80s kits but still looks like an 80s kit rather than a modern day version of it
  • Options

Belgian home kit certainly has to be up there as one of the worst

I know its a nod to one of their 80s kits but still looks like an 80s kit rather than a modern day version of it

It's the same with Germany and Spain's kit. I don't think they're quite as bad but it feels like a lay nod to retro kits with a weird squiggly line running through it.
  • Options
    The Adidas kits are a bit more imaginative than usual, with a nod to each country’s ‘classic’ designs. Nike’s ones are pretty generic, as always, but the Croatian shirts are superb! Not sure about Nigeria’s one, it’s a bit too mental.
  • Options
    always loved the colours of the Argentina home kit, probably my favourite one of all
  • Options
    Just seen the Nigeria one. I don't really understand what's happening there, but I also kinda like it. Part of me is just like "yeah, sod it, why not?"

I like the Iceland away shirt. I don't think the sleeve effect works as well with the home kit, I prefer their home kit from the Euros which was absolutely ace.

• Options
    Terrible world 11 selection
  • Options
    England kits have always been a bit boring since the two great Admiral ones! I keep changing my mind what is the best of those!
  • Options
    Egypt with no Salah are looking dodgy

1-0 down against Kuwait ranked 160th
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Also i'm sure it can't be true but there are reports online that Nike received just over 3 MILLION pre-orders for the Nigeria shirt.

Wouldnt be surprised... I'll probably get it
  • Options

Uruguay and Egypt
    Spain and Iran
    France and Denmark
    Argentina and Croatia
    Brazil and Switzerland
    Germany and Mexico
    England and Belgium
    Colombia and Poland

No Salah
    Make the Uruguay and Russia
  • Options
    Uruguay 1st
    Egypt 2nd

Spain 1st
    Portugal 2nd

Egypt v Spain in round of 16. Egyptian revenge?
  • Options
    Obviously no Ronaldo for Portugal but Tunisia have come from 2-0 behind to draw level in a friendly
  • Options

A : Uruguay, Egypt, Russia, Saudi Arabia

B : Spain, Portugal, Morocco, Iran

C : France, Denmark, Peru, Australia

D : Argentina, Croatia, Nigeria, Iceland

E : Brazil, Switzerland, Serbia, Costa Rica

F : Germany, Mexico, South Korea, Sweden

G : Belgium, England, Tunisia, Panama

H : Poland, Colombia, Japan, Senegal

Wow an underdog in all groups bar ours & France. bold prediction
    I picked an underdog in our group, too - England.
    And it's Russia instead of Egypt if Salah's not there.
  • Options
    Has anyone found one of those calendar apps that updates your calendar (google, apple etc) with the latest results and fixtures? I'm sure I had one for the last Euros or WC and it was really useful
  • Options

JaShea99 said:

I don’t understand all the comments saying ‘First time in ages there’s no expectations from England’. I’ve felt like that for years. 2006 was probably the last time I thought we had a real chance. And even that was immature naivety.

We had a decent side in 2006, and in a way it was the "golden opportunity" with Spain not yet at their amazing peak and the other teams beatable. Italy were pretty mediocre winners really.

Other than Robinson in goal, the team that lost to Portugal on penalties (after Rooney was sent off) looks a very good side, especially when you look at some of the players picked since them. In 2005 Lampard and Gerrard were runners up to Ronaldinho in the Ballon D'Or, that's a sign of how good they were.

Robinson
    G Neville
    Ferdinand
    Terry
    A Cole
    Beckham
    Gerrard
    Hargreaves
    Lampard
    J Cole
    Rooney
    Five midfielders and a sort-of striker. Do you think Robinson was watching that World Cup?
  • Options
    Anyone know of a website where you can set up a World Cup fantasy football league against mates and play for money? ie you all pay to enter the league and the winner takes the cash.
  • Options

Anyone know of a website where you can set up a World Cup fantasy football league against mates and play for money? ie you all pay to enter the league and the winner takes the cash.

Could you not just set up a normal World Cup fantasy League and hold to money yourself and give it to the winner
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

JaShea99 said:

I don’t understand all the comments saying ‘First time in ages there’s no expectations from England’. I’ve felt like that for years. 2006 was probably the last time I thought we had a real chance. And even that was immature naivety.

We had a decent side in 2006, and in a way it was the "golden opportunity" with Spain not yet at their amazing peak and the other teams beatable. Italy were pretty mediocre winners really.

Other than Robinson in goal, the team that lost to Portugal on penalties (after Rooney was sent off) looks a very good side, especially when you look at some of the players picked since them. In 2005 Lampard and Gerrard were runners up to Ronaldinho in the Ballon D'Or, that's a sign of how good they were.

Robinson
    G Neville
    Ferdinand
    Terry
    A Cole
    Beckham
    Gerrard
    Hargreaves
    Lampard
    J Cole
    Rooney
    Five midfielders and a sort-of striker. Do you think Robinson was watching that World Cup?
    Whether Gobinson was watching or not, hardly stopped Spain winning everything in sight for four years - they had one striker in their squad
  • Options
    Pulled Portugal out in the work sweepstake.

Probably haven't got a chance of winning, but we're doing up to 4th place, so quite happy with that.
  • Options

Could you not just set up a normal World Cup fantasy League and hold to money yourself and give it to the winner
    I know that makes sense, but you haven’t met my friends :neutral:
  • Options
    edited May 2018

JaShea99 said:

Robinson
    G Neville
    Ferdinand
    Terry
    A Cole
    Beckham
    Gerrard
    Hargreaves
    Lampard
    J Cole
    Rooney
    he was in Goal.
  • Options

Have a look at the Telegraph. We use theirs for PL fantasy football in the seasons and you can all pay to enter a private league and set the payout percentage for the places. I assume they will do the same for the WC but haven't checked.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

Have a look at the Telegraph. We use theirs for PL fantasy football in the seasons and you can all pay to enter a private league and set the payout percentage for the places. I assume they will do the same for the WC but haven't checked.
    I've used the Metro's in the past and it was good. But that was probably a while ago now so don't know if they still do it.
  • Options

JaShea99 said:

Robinson
    G Neville
    Ferdinand
    Terry
    A Cole
    Beckham
    Gerrard
    Hargreaves
    Lampard
    J Cole
    Rooney
    Whether Gobinson was watching or not, hardly stopped Spain winning everything in sight for four years - they had one striker in their squad
    And England only played that team once at the tournament, in their final game I believe. I think it was the first knockout tie against Ecuador was it where Sven played Michael Carrick behind Lampard and Gerrard as if he'd suddenly learned that playing a holding midfielder behind those two, Gerrard who was woefully undisciplined and Lampard who drifted in and out of games, was the way to get the best out of them. Then did it with Hargreaves, obviously we'll never know how well it would have worked because of the Rooney red card.

But yeah, Spain won all and sundry using just one center forward by and large. They actually started Euro 2008 with Villa and Torres up front together and they looked impeccable in a 4-1-3-2. But as the tournament went on Villa got hurt and they switched to Torres up front on his own and never really looked back from there.
  • Options
    If you are going to be optimistic and say "what might be different this time"

Is that i think the England squad we have now in comparison to say, 2006, has more energy/modern day athleticism, and they are maybe a little bit better off the ball and maybe less predictable in a sense.

In 2006 we had a giant bag of "special players"...but they didn't really get on well and egos were through the roof. Plus fans and the media were always calling them out.

You can't get much much lower then losing to Iceland.

The only is up.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

Cheers mate, that’s the kind of thing I was looking for. Hopefully they do it for the World Cup.