Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Do you want Bowyer as manager?

Comments

• Options
    Question marks as in never bought players etc but has Steve Gallan to advise him. We all saw the uprise in form and new found hunger in the team. Wouldn’t underestimate Jackson’s influence either! Who ever comes in there are some critical positions to strengthen. Has to get it right!
  • Options

If Bow wasn’t as ex player would you want him?

It’s becuse he was an ex-player that we do want him. The support for him and the team that was generated in the last part of the season was phenomenal. We know from SCP’s days in charge that even when things arent always going right on the pitch that the charlton fans will still get behind the manager. That’s probably worth a good ten points at least.
    Had Bowyer not done as well as he did getting us back into the playoff spots I doubt he'd have had anything like as much support. Abilities as a manager first for me, if he's an ex-player, then that a big bonus.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

If Bow wasn’t as ex player would you want him?

It’s becuse he was an ex-player that we do want him. The support for him and the team that was generated in the last part of the season was phenomenal. We know from SCP’s days in charge that even when things arent always going right on the pitch that the charlton fans will still get behind the manager. That’s probably worth a good ten points at least.
    Had Bowyer not done as well as he did getting us back into the playoff spots I doubt he'd have had anything like as much support. Abilities as a manager first for me, if he's an ex-player, then that a big bonus.
    I think the reason he did as well as he did was because of the support of the fans. The step up in noise and support on a match day must have given a lot of self belief to the players. If it’s not Bowyer as manager then another ex-player should be given the Job
  • Options
    edited May 2018
  • Options
    edited May 2018

The major issue, whoever gets the job is that Powell had part of the previous season to identify what was needed and then the Summer to put things in place. He started early and got most of it done in good time. We don't even have a manager yet.

The less time we have, the more important we get a manager in who knows what is needed. One that doesn't need time to find out.

That’s why moving heaven and earth to get Powell makes even more sense. He will have already identified players for a promotion push with the shrimpers and he knows the better players in all three divisions outside the Prem.
    I really hope the rumours of sounding him out are true. Makes sense on so many levels and it’s not like going back to the scene of past glories. Powell has unfinished business with us.
  • Options
    100% Bowyer and JJ for me
  • Options
    Bowyer, JJ , SCP all have such a bond with the club so hard to choose, all could do well given the chance and they would certainly have he backing of the fans. All I would say is that whoever is appointed - either from within or without - must take on board all the positive things that our cub stand for and our approach to the game.
    I really don't want someone like the Shrewsbury manager who seems to enthuse his players with what shall I say - an 'overenthusiastic' approach when it comes to the use of elbows and dodgy challenges? I don't think I've ever seen a montage of bad tackles shown at half time on a televised game such as our second leg play-off.
    Anyway, it's all in the hands of the new owners, let's pray they make the right decision!
  • Options
    My view is this. If we are to appoint SCP, (and I'm very sceptical that we have approached him, or he has agreed to it) it means, in effect, Bowyer has been sacked, without even being given the opportunity to see what he can do with his own team.

And Bowyer did well enough, for me, to not deserve the tin tax before a ball has been kicked.

So, it's Bowyer and JJ for me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

My view is this. If we are to appoint SCP, (and I'm very sceptical that we have approached him, or he has agreed to it) it means, in effect, Bowyer has been sacked, without even being given the opportunity to see what he can do with his own team.

And Bowyer did well enough, for me, to not deserve the tin tax before a ball has been kicked.

I imagine the day after the sale is completed the new manager will be announced.

Bowyer if the board are brave, Mick McCarthy if they go for experience.

I think McCarthy would be offered enough to drop a division, coupled with the fact he's based in the Bromley area.

• Options

I imagine the day after the sale is completed the new manager will be announced.

Bowyer if the board are brave, Mick McCarthy if they go for experience.

I think McCarthy would be offered enough to drop a division, coupled with the fact he's based in the Bromley area.

Bloody hell, they would have to conduct the interviews quicker than Meire :smile:
  • Options
    SCP is a red herring - if he was available, yes it would be likely, but there is no way he is going to leave Southend after just joining them.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Mick McCarthy would take the job if offered a wage commensurate with the ambition of being a championship side within a short timeframe.
    MM already lives in the CAFC catchment area of Chiselhurst/Bickley where past managers/head coaches have resided: Bailey and Peeters to name two off the top of my head.
    Johnnie Jackson to learn the ropes off the Yorkshire Irish veteran manager who needs a new challenge and is a decade younger than Neil Warnock.
    JJ has been the conduit for Cafc over these last few years and the way he helped to tighten the defence at the end of season was impressive and must be part of the future.

I feel Lee Bowyer did well with an injury racked squad and a blunt attack. Bowyer won't stay if he's not number 1.

The 3 best options for me in no particular order:
    McCarthy/JJ
    Bowyer/JJ
    Powell/JJ

You can see who I believe is the important part of cafc moving forward.
  • Options
    Would like Paul Lambert but we cant afford him. Dont have the Man Love for Chris Powell that most lifers have. Suspect it may be Mick McCarthy and he will want to bring along Terry Connor as Assistant Manager so dont know where that leaves JJ. I think the Aussie connections will be backroom on the fitness / nutrition / analytics side of things as thats something they do better than us. Heard Mark Schwartzer say he was throwing his CV around for various coaching positions. Long shots for Manager could be Gus Poyet or Gianfranco Zola who both live fairly local.
  • Options

Would like Paul Lambert but we cant afford him. Dont have the Man Love for Chris Powell that most lifers have. Suspect it may be Mick McCarthy and he will want to bring along Terry Connor as Assistant Manager so dont know where that leaves JJ. I think the Aussie connections will be backroom on the fitness / nutrition / analytics side of things as thats something they do better than us. Heard Mark Schwartzer say he was throwing his CV around for various coaching positions. Long shots for Manager could be Gus Poyet or Gianfranco Zola who both live fairly local.

Chris Powell was a course and distance winner in league 1 when allowed to bring his own players in.(I had the audacity to question certain decisions made in championship)

Zola was a great player but a poor manager as proved at Birmingham when they replaced the successful Gary Rowett.

Gus Poyet's Brighton played fantastic football in the 3rd tier plus the shit hits the showers when they play Palace.

• Options
    edited May 2018
    If new owners come in and immediately dispense with Jackson I think they will at a stroke have alienated half the fan base. Not a good idea and therefore it won’t happen. Jackson will be coaching first team next season of that I have no doubt.
  • Options
    Bowyer and JJ for me
  • Options
    McCarthy didn't really do much at Ipswich the last few years did he? I don't really fancy being bored to tears in mid-table either.
  • Options

Re JJ, he is 1st team coach so could retain that position under McCarthy.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I am not entirely sure who I want in the role, Powell did quite well with his own squad, less well with others.

Bowyer did okay - our football increased pace, however our player confidence still felt a new manager temporary boost.

Any other well seasoned pro would be welcome so long as they're a clear improvement on the above.
  • Options
    Read on SSN that Tisdale isnt sure about his future at Exeter...thoughts on him?

Personally wouldnt mind this appointment if it was to come about obviously.
  • Options

Read on SSN that Tisdale isnt sure about his future at Exeter...thoughts on him?

Reckon he'll be off to Milton Keynes
  • Options
    edited May 2018

I think Tisdale already has another job lined up judging by his recent comments and on the back of a very good season at Exeter. Would very much doubt it’s us.

Has a track record of promotions but all below Charltons current status.

• Options
    I'm afraid McCarthy would not be my choice and hasn't he always had Terry Connor as his right hand man?
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

I'm afraid McCarthy would not be my choice and hasn't he always had Terry Connor as his right hand man?

You are correct on Connor.

I had Powell/JJ to be your dream partnership, RedChaser.
  • Options
    Bowyer and Jackson deserve a shot at this. I don’t care if they only have 10 games of managerial experience, they have hundreds of games as players and have worked up and down the leagues with some decent managers - Jonnie even thanked some of them in his leaving speech ha!
  • Options

I think Tisdale already has another job lined up judging by his recent comments and on the back of a very good season at Exeter. Would very much doubt it’s us.

Has a track record of promotions but all below Charltons current status.

Tis would be a great appointment for Charlton. He knows the game inside out, plays lovely football and brings through the youth. He’s rebuilt that club, along with Steve Perryman, and the fan ownership. It’s actually pretty inspiring, although he’s rarely mentioned when bigger jobs come up. But...he’s been a success because he has been given years to do it. I very much doubt that he would be afforded such a luxury at Charlton, as much as I’d like to see him given the chance.

• Options

RedChaser said:

You are correct on Connor.

I had Powell/JJ to be your dream partnership, RedChaser.
    I'd be happy for Bowyer & JJ to continue as well.