Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton fans pepper sprayed? (Ed. Police statement page 3)

Comments

• Options
    West Ham started it with their chicken run.
    See, Millwall are right, it’s always West Ham’s fault
  • Options
    E-cafc said:

They used to go in the side terrace at their old ground as well if I remember rightly.

It adds to the ambience (said in my best Micky Flanagan voice).
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

_MrDick said:

I wasn't there yesterday but out of interest, is anyone going to make an official complaint? All of this pepper spray malarkey looked totally unnecessary to me.

The West Mercia force are investigating the use of force. Might be advisable to await the outcome of that investigation before lodging any complaints. If they find it was, in their opinion, a proportionate and correct use of pepper spray then that's the time to lodge a complaint (I would suggest the Trust and/or the Club).
    I think we probably all know the outcome of that investigation, if in fact one even takes place.
  • Options
    Now. IF we had been pepper pigged...
  • Options
    leave off chief these days the sprays are defo halal its an inclusive plod 2018
  • Options

bobmunro said:

_MrDick said:

I wasn't there yesterday but out of interest, is anyone going to make an official complaint? All of this pepper spray malarkey looked totally unnecessary to me.

The West Mercia force are investigating the use of force. Might be advisable to await the outcome of that investigation before lodging any complaints. If they find it was, in their opinion, a proportionate and correct use of pepper spray then that's the time to lodge a complaint (I would suggest the Trust and/or the Club).
    I think we probably all know the outcome of that investigation, if in fact one even takes place.
    Yes most likely - but the right thing is to wait until they almost certainly say something like - "The action of West Mercia Police in quelling aggressive crowd behaviour at the recent Shrewsbury v Charlton game was both proportionate and correctly administered, and every care was taken to avoid innocent bystanders suffering from the entirely appropriate use of pepper spray."
  • Options
    edited May 2018

Posts like this make me realise I'm old. Thank god for the urban dictionary :-)
  • Options

If you want to act like a proper twat, then you deserve to be treated like one.

That’s the thing, the Shrewsbury fans weren’t treated like one at all despite being the main antagonists
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Well to me it removed the angry baying mob away from that corner , so the old bill will call it justified in the result it produced , even though some non aggressors suffered in the aftermath

Very valid point oohaah.

I've looked at the footage from other angles and it's pretty clear that the 'instant, on the ground' decision, using the limited resources available, was to contain the minority aggressor group. In this case, the minority aggressor group was deemed to be the Charlton 'fans' who, by now, had already caused a collapse of the advertising hoardings.

Due to the limited police manpower available at that time, and taking into account the potential escalation and risk to safety, the police would have deemed that the only instant option they had at the time was the use of the spray.

That's how I see it and by virtue of that, in law, it will probably be deemed as appropriate use of minimum force to achieve their objective for the greater good of public safety.

Over zealous policing is going somewhere like Madrid as an English fan, and getting assualted by a copper using a baton for no reason whatsoever. Trust me.
  • Options

That’s the thing, the Shrewsbury fans weren’t treated like one at all despite being the main antagonists .
  • Options

Taxi_Lad said:

What we need to consider is that Shrewsbury is almost in Wales. The welsh love a scrap!

Yeah, there was a massive Welshman (Charlton "supporter"), right at the front of the scrap. I hope you're taking note Richard Murray !
    Any need for that?
  • Options

Well to me it removed the angry baying mob away from that corner , so the old bill will call it justified in the result it produced , even though some non aggressors suffered in the aftermath

Very valid point oohaah.

I've looked at the footage from other angles and it's pretty clear that the 'instant, on the ground' decision, using the limited resources available, was to contain the minority aggressor group. In this case, the minority aggressor group was deemed to be the Charlton 'fans' who, by now, had already caused a collapse of the advertising hoardings.

Due to the limited police manpower available at that time, and taking into account the potential escalation and risk to safety, the police would have deemed that the only instant option they had at the time was the use of the spray.

That's how I see it and by virtue of that, in law, it will probably be deemed as appropriate use of minimum force to achieve their objective for the greater good of public safety.

Over zealous policing is going somewhere like Madrid as an English fan, and getting assualted by a copper using a baton for no reason whatsoever. Trust me.
    Spot on. If our lot had got through to theirs there would have been carnage. If you got sprayed while trying to get at them, man up and move on. If you got sprayed and weren't doing anything put it down as an experience.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Had no idea pepper spray had been used until we got back to the pub post match and saw this thread.

A few skirmishes post match, but the West Mercia Police were hilarious. Provincial plod at their finest. Used to dealing with sheep rustling and controlling foot and mouth, most were unfit, overweight and about slowest responding law enforcement agency I've ever seen.

The handbags during the game, didn't deserve the unwarranted response and over reaction by them. They'd last 5 minutes in the Met before being slung out.

Thought you had 'no idea' and didnt see it?
  • Options
    Godfrey was taunting the fans in the East Stand after they scored at The Valley. Not once but full on for about 30 seconds. You can understand briefly, but the way he did it was provocative in the extreme.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I spent last half term looking after my 3 year old grandaughter. After watching Pepper Pig on tv and doing Pepper Pig puzzles all week it scarred me for life. You go to some dark places with this sort of shit!
  • Options

I spent last half term looking after my 3 year old grandaughter. After watching Pepper Pig on tv and doing Pepper Pig puzzles all week it scarred me for life. You go to some dark places with this sort of shit!
    Scottish peppa pig can brighten a dull day.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Had no idea pepper spray had been used until we got back to the pub post match and saw this thread.

A few skirmishes post match, but the West Mercia Police were hilarious. Provincial plod at their finest. Used to dealing with sheep rustling and controlling foot and mouth, most were unfit, overweight and about slowest responding law enforcement agency I've ever seen.

The handbags during the game, didn't deserve the unwarranted response and over reaction by them. They'd last 5 minutes in the Met before being slung out.

Awaiting the minutes of the next SAG meeting @Addickted
  • Options

Addickted said:

Thought you had 'no idea' and didnt see it?
    I've seen the video clips.

Pepper spraying indiscriminately, because you cannot do your job properly, is, in my opinion, an unwarranted response and over reaction.

Not sure what's got into you recently Stu.

• Options

What about the other supporters whose seats were in that section, and got sprayed as well?
  • Options

Very valid point oohaah.

Quite agree. As I said in my earlier post I was sat 4 rows from the front at the very end of the block so I had a very good view of it all. Although the Shrews fans started it they had all got back into their stand when our "baying mob" were in full flow. 20 years ago I would have expected batons to be used but I think the pepper spray has a much better effect.
  • Options
    PeterGage said:

I was at the game and here is my perspective.

Long before the incident, there was a Charlton supporter in front of me give rude hand gestures constantly to the away supporters. How mature is that?

When Shrewsbury scored, I was not aware that some of their supporters entered the pitch and goaded ours. That though is no reason for dozens and dozens our our supporters to leave their seats, one falling over me whilst I was sitting down, to charge in mob-like form and try to attent to engage the home supporters. The stewards and the police had no option but to keep them apart, and if the solution was the use of pepper spray, then so be it. I am of course extremely sorry if innocent supporters sitting nearby were affected but the incident did look as though drastic action was needed to keep OUR fabs from entering the Shrewsbury stand, hence the use of spay on our so called fans only.

Thereafter a number of Charlton supporters stood at the barriers close to the pitch and in doing so, blocked the view of the supporters sitting down in the front rows; they refused to move when politely asked to do so. One supporter on the barriers was spitting at the opposing goalkeeper.

Overall, I was not proud on the night to be a Charlton supporter and thus I was supportive of the police action to attempt to keep our thugs in order.

Typical ref against Charlton