Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Shrewsbury v Charlton - Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    The players third touch was excellent.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

I got slated earlier in the season for saying we didn’t have a top three squad. Does anyone want to argue again that we had?

Yes, but not on this thread
  • Options

Narrow margins

Must have had a dozen texts from mates watching on telly about the pen and we score that it’s game on

They were bullying us all game and maybe Josh and Pearcey aside we don’t have those sort of players to get involved

Yet another disappointing day in the life of a Charlton fan

And that diversion on the M54 on the way home helped :(

To be honest the margins weren't that fine, we were beaten in both legs of the playoff semi finals and couldn't score a single goal in either match.

Better team won, major investment needed if we're to get out of this pub league next season.
  • Options
    Really hope we manage to keep hold of Amos next season, top top keeper.
  • Options
    cs1986 said:

Disappointed but we are definitely not good enough for the league above at present. I would love Bowyer and Jacokson to stay. Amos needs to stay. Am I the only one who doesn't understand the praise and prem clubs looking at Konsa ?

They are looking at potential and with good coaching/development he could develop into a fine defender (for relatively little financial outlay).
  • Options
    Crap end to a crap season.
    We had a nice little run under our latest manager, (of how many now under this idiot?), but I feel we are grasping at straws. Its plain to see we are a shell of what we were once, long before the Belgium insect rolled into town with his pet.
    The saddest thing for me is, we now judge ourselves against the likes of Shrewsbury, Rochdale, Rotherham, Scunthorpe, Plymouth and a rake of other eternal third/forth division teams.
    Nothing wrong with these teams but struggling in the third tier of English football with these teams is not my clubs natural level. I know we have no right to be anywhere other than where our team can perform but these past few years and probably a few more have highlighted how poorly run Charlton is and has been run, not just under the latest mastermind.
    Hopefully we can draw a line under yesterdays league 3's footballing lesson and look to a brighter future with a new owner who respects football and those who support it.
  • Options
    if some idiots willing to pay a few million for konsa id bite there hand off assemble a league 1 squad with the cash, a few proven players at this level and think we have a decent chance of autos next season, apart from Sunderland the other 2 aren't exactly loaded Barnsley and Burton.
  • Options

Sadly, we were miles away. We need three touches to control the ball – our opponents take just the one. And not only today – apart from a bright start last August and a steeliness under Bowyer, we have been piss-poor all season. We lack basic technical skills.

Amos has been excellent, and made a fantastic save near the end today. Pearce and Bauer have been tough and solid throughout the run-in – but their clearances drop to the yawning emptiness of our midfield. When in possession, our advancing moves are grindingly slow and transparently obvious – dithering around on the wing, then a hospital pass to a man in trouble. Meanwhile, our opponents are all back and ready to defend. We have no fire, no spark, no danger – nothing to surprise or shock the opposition.

Case in point today – Shrews’ goal: acute, quick, incisive. We never even got close. This flaccid weakness has dogged us all season. A team from a small country town has beaten us three times in the last few weeks. Gillingham did the double over us; Wimbledon dumped us out of the Cup – and then beat us again at their crappy little ground in the league. Mid-season, we won just five league games in five months. We can’t score.

We need tackling and creative midfield players who command possession and feed instinctive, ruthless strikers. We need a clear-out. This should be Muir’s urgent priority.

In a nutshell. Spot on assessment/summary.
    In short, over two-legs we had nobody who could beat a man....apart from the merest glimmer from Mavididi and Fosu. We had no-one with enough pace to trouble their back-line. Our forwards aren't slow but the Shrews back-line were quicker.
  • Options

if some idiots willing to pay a few million for konsa id bite there hand off assemble a league 1 squad with the cash, a few proven players at this level and think we have a decent chance of autos next season, apart from Sunderland the other 2 aren't exactly loaded Barnsley and Burton.

I'd be pleasantly surprised if we got more than £2m for him. That might be enough to sign Ben Amos and pay a bit of his wages.....
  • Options
    If the striker wasn’t booked for the elbow, can he get into trouble retrospectively? Be nice if he misses Wembley.....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Drexy said:

I’m looking forward to the Accrington Stanley game

So am I actually... Same with the Burton Albion game

Pissed off that we're still in League One but be nice (to an extent) to face some new sides next season!!

Especially Accrington as I've kept an eye on their progress since they returned to the Conference
  • Options

Have we ever played Accrington Stanley in any competition?.

Twice... Yet presume that'll have been when they were called Accrington...

http://www.soccerbase.com/teams/head_to_head.sd?team_id=527&team2_id=42
  • Options

Drexy said:

Pissed off that we're still in League One but be nice (to an extent) to face some new sides next season!!

Especially Accrington as I've kept an eye on their progress since they returned to the Conference
    I imagine tickets for those games will be hard to get, new ground syndrome and tiny away sections

Sunderland is a slight contrast!
  • Options

Drexy said:

I imagine tickets for those games will be hard to get, new ground syndrome and tiny away sections

Sunderland is a slight contrast!
    Charlton v Sunderland play-off final 2019? :wink:
    Michael Gray’s son steps up to take the crucial penalty....
  • Options
    Seeing as Carlton Morris didn’t get booked for that assault on Bauer will the officials retrospectively look at that and do anything?
  • Options
    If Bauer had broken something that might of happened, but it will just be forgotten now!
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    1StevieG said:

Seeing as Carlton Morris didn’t get booked for that assault on Bauer will the officials retrospectively look at that and do anything?

I'd say it depends if its in the Referee's report

If its in there, then the referee is acknowledging that he saw what happened and so felt that no action was needed... I was under the impression that retrospective action can only be taken against a player if its not covered off by that report?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yes, they had players who were comfortable enough on the ball - but Wimbledon beat us recently with a team of genuine cloggers! We have to address this weakness for next season!
  • Options

At the game, they really are a scummy club.

Ball boys , goalkeeper and all wasting time right from the start, ref didn't have a clue and bottled it on a number of occasions.

Having said that they were far more organised and physical than us.

Our front two are so slow and immobile it doesn't give chance to create anything.

Onwards and upwards let's hope for a successful takeover soon to give a chance to plan next seasons campaign.

Ajose is anything but slow or immobile. I'd hold onto him for next year. He definitely has more about him than we've seen from him. (8 goals 41 games, 2 assists) only one not afraid to shoot too.
  • Options
    It is quite hard to put your finger on the issue - Is it the attack, is it the midfield or a mixture of both?
  • Options

Flew up there and back 2.5 hrs both waze ....
    Gotta get that app it’s a must for all car drivers and the more people that use it the better it’ll become .

Tame as ever the smaller club wanted it more and we were weak .
    I’m not too concerned about them having a mental loop and giving it to us when they scored , that’s part of the banter , if you can’t take it don’t give it , the aggro bollox can fuck off .
    They pushed their game plan to the limits and mingey clubs have to do that , they can’t compete with the big boys and play free flowing footy ,as already mentioned almost wimbledonesque in their approach .

We need ownership sorted quickly and a plan in place for next season , which clearly isn’t happening atm and we are falling behind the curve , the wankiness of our club continues .

10% top two ........ 50% play offs. ......... 40% 7th-12th

100% Roland Out

What App amigo ?
  • Options

all right, which one of you posted this little message on the shrewsbury forum?

"First of all I would like to say that the majority of us accept we were cr@p. Your team pretty much just bullied ours, 25+ fouls or something before the first booking? Blatant penalty waved off? Elbow ignored for a red? Basically it was a cr@p game of football and the team that was a bit less cr@p won.

I'll be straight up I am bitter. All season when I've seen Blackburn and Wigan fans mock you about bottling it I've felt bad for you and thought they came across a bit weird. You're a small club with limited resources challenging two big clubs with a lot of money how can anyone go against an underdog story? However after today though I can honestly say I'm glad you bottled it and hope you do so at Wembley as well. That whole section of your fans on the right hand side corner (facing away from away end) are creatures and I assume probably won't be at another game in their life if you fail to go up. Not saying all Charlton fans are innocent cause we do have some plebs but for how little your fan base is I am amazed at the cunt to non cunt ratio.

On the drive back a group of about 30 of your inbred fans who all looked 30+ and had a combined weight of at least 700 stone were starting on 4 young lads minding their own business on the way back to the car? Proper cowards. This was outside the Ugly Pig, relevant you know cause that's what 99% of your scummy little fans look like. And then when I'm in traffic trying to get out your fans are all around my car calling these lads scum despite goading them and punching them? Genuinely still can't believe how classless your s**t little club is. Obviously none of you said much to me cause I have a bit of facial hair and look over 21.

Basically, I hope you get slaughtered at Wembley, then your manager gets swooped up, your best players get raided, your scummy little Day trippers go back to supporting Man U or whoever else they usually watch down the little ugly pig pub with their little ugly pig friends and then who knows depending on the fixtures and if all what I hope happens, happens we get the chance to send you down.

s**te little club"

Read more: http://blueandamber.proboards.com/thread/97361/all-charlton-fans?page=1#ixzz5FT1ZpbTB

My money's on @oohaahmortimer as there's a % in the post....
  • Options
    Read most of the posts beforehand... my thoughts are :

We didn't deserve to win as we didn't create many or anywhere near enough chances.

We were the poorer of two poor sides. Like it or loathe it they countered our skill by brute strength, gamesmanship and not to mention, the odd foul or two. (is there any footage on the alleged elbow as I didn't see it whilst at the game nor a clear view of the pen)

Jury is out on Bowyer. He produced some incredible results mixed in with some not so. He certainly got the effect that new managers get but as Blucher stated, the last goal being off of Pearces' backside against Rovers, 4 games ago says it all.

Mixed feelings about yesterday, the defeat surely means RD can't ask for more money, so that's a positive. Some new grounds for me and my son to tick off and hopefully with investment, a successful campaign. Will be good to buy a Season Ticket when the deal is confirmed.

On an aside, having been to many football matches, for many years, I get the tribal rivalry and banter. I was on the left hand side of the stand so unaware if we were "giving it" beforehand. But those neanderthals that came on to celebrate and the goad went well beyond what is acceptable. To then hear that our fans on the receiving end of the Police treatment even tho I think only 1 actually made the pitch is a joke.

Onwards and upwards, I can go and enjoy my cricket now.
  • Options
    Kicked off the park first half, played off it second half (for about 25 mins).

Good luck to Shrewsbury, they earned it. They pressed and disrupted us and we couldn't handle it. And when they came at us early in the 2nd, we couldn't handle that either.

They'd better go up or Paul Hurst will be snapped up sharpish.
  • Options

Ledge said:

Shrewsbury had the beating of us simple as that . Morris up
    Front is quality , aggressive , combative and scores goals kinda what magennis should do and gave Pearce and Bauer a torrid time in both games .

As for us frustrating is an understatement . Cannot fault the players effort those boys ran their bits off but just couldn’t cope with Shrewsbury physically

No, no, no - that cant be right.
    The bloke behind us said they didn't show any effort or fight.

Well I didn’t touch a drop of alcohol all day and watched sober from where I was standing the effort was definitely there , quality wasn’t .