Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Shrewsbury v Charlton - Post Match Views

Comments

• cafc4life said:

Jokes aside , I will fucking drive Konsa to Everton or wherever he wants to mince about at. The guy is the most overrated player we have ever produced. Total nonsense from him again today at times.

Kashi should of been on that pitch today . Would of showed more fight than any of our other supposed midfielders . Would love to keep Amos and Dasilva but that won't happen . Please please please let us be bought now

Weird I watched him closely today and I thought he played well and covered well at the back! Mind you he's not a midfielder or full back really!
  • They skirt close to the line in terms of fouling with every challenge! But it works for them and good luck to them - tehy finished third so we can't begrudge them the victory. We need to sort ourselves out and give it a proper go next season.
  • Diabysmal
  • cafc122 said:

Charlton Athletic vs Accrington Stanley who are they?...

They are a football team in the London Borough of Greenwich, were good for a few years but have been mostly shit.... Why you ask?
  • Didn't get to watch the game due to my parents visiting to watch the Spanish GP and being on social family duties. I spent ages trying to find a bar showing the game with no success, it was for the best apparently.

I'm not sure what it is but I'm no where near as gutted as I was back when Swindon knocked us out all those years back. Maybe it's being a little older, maybe it's being abroad and not being able to see as many games and it's definitely because of you all know who.

But.. We can be hopeful now the terrible reign of the 'SMT' looks to finally be over, every day he is still here it makes next season all the more difficult.

A monumental task faces the new owners and whoever the new manager is, the takeover can't come soon enough.

Here's to brighter days and hopefully the beginnings of making things right.

So, when does next season start then? See you all there.
  • pilchard said:

All in all rather embarrassing. No shots worthy of the name. No real fight. Nothing to set the pulse racing, a poor second best over two games and as lacklustre a performance as you will ever see in the playoffs.
    Desperately weak. Shrewsbury did a thoroughly professional job on us and deserve to go to Wembley. Since I don't give a shit about Rotherham or Scunthorpe I say all the best in the final to them.

We didn't get the luck that you sometimes need on these occasions. With the red card and/or penalty it could have been quite different.

Shrewsbury sort of deserved it overall, but largely because they were better at the physical stuff and bending the rules than we were. I don't particularly want to be like that. Wigan and Blackburn managed to get promoted without being dicks.

I've said all along that our squad wasn't quite good enough - lots of technical players, no goalscorers, no midfield enforcer, etc etc - lets hope new owners can address that.
  • Konsa is barely league one level let alone Prem. Do not see it at all.

Totally agree . Can’t remember the last player we had that passed the ball backwards as much as he does.
    That is a good point! By the way did Shrewsbury never over the two fame past the ball backwards! If they did I don't remember it!
  • I feel technically we have the better players, however tactically we were certainly outplayed over these two legs. Fair play to Shrewsbury who seem to have a very good manager in Paul Hurst, and to the players who did very well executing his game plan.

Bowyer came in with nothing to lose, and him and Jackson together have at least made us very hard to beat. Not sure if they together are the answer going forwards, however I think they deserve the chance.

The last couple of months the coaching staff and players have finally given us something to shout about as Charlton fans. Onto next year now, bigger, better and hopefully without RD anywhere near the club.

COYR

Technical schmechnical.
  • Need to sign Amos for next season.

Best keeper I've seen play for Charlton in a long time.

Me too. Since Pope.
  • Sponsored links:

• I realise Bowyer's got to put some spin on the defeat but to say we were better than Shrewsbury is stretching it a bit far.

We were definitely second best over the 2 legs, Shrewsbury weren't that much better but better they were.
  • We never gave it a real go today.
    Magennis was pants as usual.
    MOM for me was JFC but his FK's and corners were poor.
  • I was at the game and despite some fantastic support for the team, it was all a bit disappointing in the end. No complaints about the results in both legs, I thought Shrewsbury deserved to go through. It feels a bit like a missed opportunity, but ultimately my fears at the start of the season became a reality - we just didn't have the strikers or the creativity to score the goals we would need to get promoted. Two legs of football and barely a chance created and no goals scored tells it's own story.

Bowyer and Jackson did an amazing job of giving us hope, so full credit to them, but this squad needs freshening up. We need someone who is going to score regularly. We need players that are able to unlock some tight defences or have the ability to create something from nothing. We need some tougher, more physical players to stand up to many of the teams in this division. In Bowyer we have a manager that the fans want to get behind, and he has managed to get a lot more out of the players than Robinson could manage, so it would be great to get him signed up permanently, but I have a feeling that somehow that's not going to happen.

We can still end this season on a high. With luck we will see new owners very soon and we can start to put this nightmare behind us.
  • Had to work today. Had it on via Sky Go, but switched off as soon as they scored. I should be pissed off and depressed. I feel strangely non-plussed. My enthusiasm wasn't what it should have been on Thursday either. I was more angry about the piss poor crowd TBH.

#therolandeffect

Just fuck off out of our club you stupid old bastard.

I hear you Clem, my son hardly bothered to watch it - that’s what Roland has done to us. Time to reset & win promotion next season under proper ownership - would like to see all the Duchatalatet sycophants swept out of the club from top to bottom, from the head caterer to the fat security guards, to the regime friendly pitchside announcer - the works.

Reset & win it the Charlton way.
  • Boys against men. Powder puff. Clear them all out in the summer and get some men in.

Hope Shrewsbury get hammered in the final the dirty ****s.

Fuck off you sour old Belgian nause, judas Murray and anyone who has siddled up to the clusterfuck of the last 4 years.

Let's draw a line under the complete shambles Charlton have been for his reign and start again with some football ambition and some players with an ounce of bollocks next season.

Whimper of a season. Joyless

Close the thread.

• A new beginning with new owners will be the victorious end to the season we all want. We can get promotion next season and through the front door not the back.
  • I was at the game and despite some fantastic support for the team, it was all a bit disappointing in the end. No complaints about the results in both legs, I thought Shrewsbury deserved to go through. It feels a bit like a missed opportunity, but ultimately my fears at the start of the season became a reality - we just didn't have the strikers or the creativity to score the goals we would need to get promoted. Two legs of football and barely a chance created and no goals scored tells it's own story.

Bowyer and Jackson did an amazing job of giving us hope, so full credit to them, but this squad needs freshening up. We need someone who is going to score regularly. We need players that are able to unlock some tight defences or have the ability to create something from nothing. We need some tougher, more physical players to stand up to many of the teams in this division. In Bowyer we have a manager that the fans want to get behind, and he has managed to get a lot more out of the players than Robinson could manage, so it would be great to get him signed up permanently, but I have a feeling that somehow that's not going to happen.

We can still end this season on a high. With luck we will see new owners very soon and we can start to put this nightmare behind us.

Ricky Holmes would have been a good aquisition for the play offs....
  • Sponsored links:

• We desperately need some decent forwards, that bloke at Gillingham looked useful.
  • LouisMend said:
    Like Lee but concerned about him taking us forward if he thought we were the better team!!
  • BR3red said:

I was at the game and despite some fantastic support for the team, it was all a bit disappointing in the end. No complaints about the results in both legs, I thought Shrewsbury deserved to go through. It feels a bit like a missed opportunity, but ultimately my fears at the start of the season became a reality - we just didn't have the strikers or the creativity to score the goals we would need to get promoted. Two legs of football and barely a chance created and no goals scored tells it's own story.

He could definitely have swung it in our favour had we managed to keep hold of him. Let's hope the next owner understands that building and proper squad and keeping it together is a great way to go about getting promoted, because that's something that Duchatelet has never seemed to grasp.
  • Just home. Never expected to be in the playoffs so the last 2 games were a bonus. They were stronger and had more of a presence than us. There is a reason they were 3rd. Disappointed but hoping for Lee to be confirmed as manager for next season and being champions 2018/19!
  • BR3red said:

I was at the game and despite some fantastic support for the team, it was all a bit disappointing in the end. No complaints about the results in both legs, I thought Shrewsbury deserved to go through. It feels a bit like a missed opportunity, but ultimately my fears at the start of the season became a reality - we just didn't have the strikers or the creativity to score the goals we would need to get promoted. Two legs of football and barely a chance created and no goals scored tells it's own story.

He could definitely have swung it in our favour had we managed to keep hold of him. Let's hope the next owner understands that building and proper squad and keeping it together is a great way to go about getting promoted, because that's something that Duchatelet has never seemed to grasp.
    Completely agree

We have forgotten how good our squad was with Cousins, Stephens, Lookman, Kermi and all... We were challenging for the Prem.

Now we were outgunned by Shrewsbury and most accept it...

Grrrrr
  • Sadly, we were miles away. We need three touches to control the ball – our opponents take just the one. And not only today – apart from a bright start last August and a steeliness under Bowyer, we have been piss-poor all season. We lack basic technical skills.

Amos has been excellent, and made a fantastic save near the end today. Pearce and Bauer have been tough and solid throughout the run-in – but their clearances drop to the yawning emptiness of our midfield. When in possession, our advancing moves are grindingly slow and transparently obvious – dithering around on the wing, then a hospital pass to a man in trouble. Meanwhile, our opponents are all back and ready to defend. We have no fire, no spark, no danger – nothing to surprise or shock the opposition.

Case in point today – Shrews’ goal: acute, quick, incisive. We never even got close. This flaccid weakness has dogged us all season. A team from a small country town has beaten us three times in the last few weeks. Gillingham did the double over us; Wimbledon dumped us out of the Cup – and then beat us again at their crappy little ground in the league. Mid-season, we won just five league games in five months. We can’t score.

We need tackling and creative midfield players who command possession and feed instinctive, ruthless strikers. We need a clear-out. This should be Muir’s urgent priority.

A good assessment.

Charlton this season, have reminded me of the countless England performances where we huff and puff for 90 minutes trying to create a decent opportunity but as soon as the opposition get possession they take 4 touches and it's in the back of the net. Everything always feels so telegraphed.
  • Far too tippy-tappy for this league and not enough good players to play that way and no threat up front whatsoever.

This absolutely.

Without being a route one team, Shrewsbury were hitting balls for people to run onto. We were passing and over hitting balls at one another.
  • I’m looking forward to the Accrington Stanley game