Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Eurovision Song Contest, 2018

Comments

• Options
    Addickted said:

When did they start doing the bullshit at the end. Really ruins the excitement. Made it so obvious Israel would win. Should keep it to the public vote imo

They don't announce the individual countries public votes because the same neighbour countries always vote for each other year after year - although nothing has changed in that respect as the voting public won't change their habits, they think it makes it look like less of a swizz if they do it this way just showing the judges votes and only giving the totals at the end.
    Not sure about that as the top U.K. Public vote went to Lithuania.

The jury votes are the ones that are politically based.

I mean have Greece/Cyprus ever given douze points to anybody else except each other. Ditto the Baltic states, the Scandinavian Countries, The Balkan block, Spain & Portugal etc, etc.

Who cares? It's a fun light hearted evening, which is far less depressing than the news that follows.

Oh I couldn't give less of a shit! lol i'm just explaining why it got changed! People used to complain every year about it back in the day and Wogan used to be able to predict certain countries scores before they were even given. Don't know if it was due to public or the judges TBH since back in the day they used to combine both scores rather than announce the public and the judges separately.

• Options
    Actually back in the day the public didn't get a vote. Don't think we've come anywhere since they opened up the voting system.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    No offence intended Riviera my back in the day must be a bit more recent than yours! I'm talking late 90's. (just looked it up televoting started from 1998)

Interestingly @Addickted having looked it up, 1998- 2009 was exclusively a public vote and from '09 on was when the judges vote came back in with 50% contribution so my original point about the bias being in the public voting was actually correct.

Edit not that it actually matters like you said it's only a bit of fun!
  • Options
    Can't stand it but she likes it so it's on.

As far as I can tell we are the Millwall of Eurovision. No one likes us we don't care!

4 points we had when I turned it over after she went to bed. We were nestling at the bottom of the table like a premiership team after half a season of Pardew.
  • Options
    Israel deserved to win, it was the best song & performance.
    She was an amalgamation of Beth Ditto & Bjork.
    We were far better than 3rd worst, but who gives one.

No one likes us
    No one likes us
    No one likes us
    We don't care
    We are UK Super UK
  • Options
    It's a sad reality that the rest of Europe don't think we are that significant. My wife sadly loves 'Schlager' as they call it in Sweden. It really is a big thing, a bit like our world cup for football. they have events all over the country. It was only recently I found out that they have been televising the knock-out rounds for years over there and the public vote to find the next entry is really involved. they take it very seriously and sad of all sad, my sister-in-law always has always bought the home and winning entries tapes, records, cd's downloads etc. I genuinely thought they were taking the piss, when asked me if I liked it. the reality is we could enter, Ed Sheeran, Adele, Arctic Monkeys, whoever and nobody would vote for us. We weren't popular before Brexit and still won't be after. It's not that Euro's don't like us, it's more they find us insignificant. I think they see us like we see Wednesday. A has-been that still believes it has some Kudos.
  • Options

No one likes us
    No one likes us
    No one likes us
    We don't care
    We are UK Super UK

I used to think you had decent taste in music.
  • Options
    If it is such a big deal in Sweden etc and we are so insignificant perhaps they should pay for it rather than relying on us to put the show on?

Never understood why we pay so much more than others if it's not such a big deal here and it is elsewhere, and there is no chance of us ever getting a fair chance regardless of who we were to enter due to political reasons?
  • Options
    edited May 2018

If it is such a big deal in Sweden etc and we are so insignificant perhaps they should pay for it rather than relying on us to put the show on?

Never understood why we pay so much more than others if it's not such a big deal here and it is elsewhere, and there is no chance of us ever getting a fair chance regardless of who we were to enter due to political reasons?

I'm sure it comes down to pride. Since Europe, the continent and not the EU, expanded after the end of the USSR and Yugoslavia and Czechoslovakia etc there were simply too many countries in Europe to compete in a one night show. So they had to have qualifiers. Also a group of nations were prepared to contribute financially to keep the event going in return for automatic qualification. We are one of those. I don't know the cost or who pays it but I guess the BBC do. We are a permanent member of the governing council like we are on the UN. So our money keeps the whole thing going but we get humiliated every year because everyone hates us, and they have hated us long before the EU referendum.
    It winds me up every year, but if I'm not doing anything the night it's on I'll watch it. I am old enough to remember the old days when it was really exciting and when we won in 1976 and 1981. But other years were exciting too, not just the ones we won. However, and this may be an age thing, I think most (not all) of the winners from the past 20 years have been crap. There's been a lot of box ticking, which of course the BBC love!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think you are probably right - I get that it's seen as a bit of fun and to be fair it's a big ratings winner for BBC every year - but it does feel like an annual reminder of what a bunch of piss-takers our continental neighbours can be - it's like "we ain't ever going to vote for you and you don't matter to us, but please keep funding us every year" and we keep on doing it like a bunch of mugs.

That stage invasion for example - that happens to any other country they would have got a significant sympathy vote for that - but for us? I can imagine it now "Oh they deserved it! fuck em"

Maybe we should just not bother entering and just pay for the TV rights to keep the Eurovision fans in this country happy, but let the countries who it matters so much to fund the bulk of it?

Or we could go the other way, keep funding it but just throw our annual entry to the latest X-Factor joke act each year - give them some Cheeky girls/Rylan/Chiko/Wagner types and take the piss out of them back.

I don't know why it's got my dander up all of a sudden I genuinely couldn't give a shit about Eurovision normally - I guess its because our entry this year was born in my home town so i'm just getting all protective lol!

• Options
    Our entry this year was extremely credible; song and performer.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Our entry this year was extremely credible; song and performer.

When I think Eurovision, the first word that comes to mind is 'credible'
  • Options
    edited May 2018

Our popularity stretches way back to when a third of the World map was in the colours of the British Empire. Countries never really bought into being conquered in quite the way they should. It was an honour to be ruled by those posh boys from Eton and Harrow and the little blighters never really understood that.

Some ground was made up with the birth of the Commonwealth, but even then as now every Commonwealth country will support each other when in competition against the English.

It really is nothing new. I recall Dad who would've been 95 if he lived, saying how the world generally hates us, unless there's a war on when they want to be our mates.

I suppose its a price we have to pay for being superior :smile: .

Let’s have a referendum on whether we stay in Eurovision. A comeback opportunity for Nigel :smile:
  • Options
    I didn't watch this year as was out, but I'm not sure our lack of votes was due to the "unpopularity" of the UK, seeing that Israel won...

• Options
    Watched it last night as general matrimonial obligation (although end up enjoying if the songs are comically bad). Too many serious songs for me to get much enjoyment out of but it's just a bit of harmless fun and shouldn't get taken too seriously. Spain did abysmally again but as always it hasn't prompted any kind of 'everyone hates us' national soul searching.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

No one likes us
    No one likes us
    No one likes us
    We don't care
    We are UK Super UK

I used to think you had decent taste in music.
    It's nearly all shite of course. But it was the best of the shite.
    I won't be booking up to see her anytime soon :smile:
  • Options
    Why would anyone spend four hours of their life watching this trash. The voting is political, the songs have got nothing to do with contemporary music. Why are Australia, Israel etc in it. Last time I looked they weren't in Europe. You can put this in Room 101 along with Big Brother and that jungle programme.
  • Options

I didn't watch this year as was out, but I'm not sure our lack of votes was due to the "unpopularity" of the UK, seeing that Israel won...

The Jewish diaspora for you.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I didn't see the bit where they show who the UK gave points to?

Was highly anticipating a moment when it suddenly turns to Clarkson and he says something really sarcastic.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    I predicted the winner as soon as I heard it in the week - was going to put a bet on but didn't get the chance! Felt a bit sorry for the British girl - a special night for her was ruined by some pr*ck! She wouldn't have won though. I liked the Estonia song - she was a great singer.
  • Options
    Ireland and Australia are f*ckers. No points from either of those.

We colonized Australia ...you would have thought they'd be eternally grateful.
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

Why would anyone spend four hours of their life watching this trash. The voting is political, the songs have got nothing to do with contemporary music. Why are Australia, Israel etc in it. Last time I looked they weren't in Europe. You can put this in Room 101 along with Big Brother and that jungle programme.

So many questions! Admit it: you love it really.
  • Options

Corbyn will be livid this morning.
    Grow up.
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

Because its not based on Europe as a Continent rather than Europe as in the European Broadcasting Union.

Australia and Israel are part of this so can enter as can any of the below:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Broadcasting_Union#Members
  • Options
    edited May 2018

dickplumb said:

Because its not based on Europe as a Continent rather than Europe as in the European Broadcasting Union.

Australia and Israel are part of this so can enter as can any of the below:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Broadcasting_Union#Members
    I couldn't give a flying one about the "contest", but why are Australia in this EBU?

Edit. Should have read the wiki page before asking. But they are only associate members.

Of course Israel have also persuaded UEFA that it is in Europe too. I would kick them out, along with all the Asian countries that have sneaked in.
  • Options
    iainment said:

Corbyn will be livid this morning.
    Grow up.
    Haha.