Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Released List 2017/18

2»

Comments

• Options
    Great to see 6 of our under 18s signing first professional contracts. Personally have great hopes for Morgan, Dempsey and Zemura. Doughty is promising, but I don't know enough about Carey. I haven't been impressed with Birch at all - hopefully any of the regular watchers of the 18s can put me right on him?

Happy to see us persevering with Charles Cook, but starting to fall behind Dijksteel, Dempsey, Maloney and Morgan in the future Charlton midfield engine room. No shame there as these really are 4 excellent, talented and technically excellent individuals.

• Options
    Willis not old enough to have signed a contract?
  • Options

He is, but he's said he's leaving

• Options
    He wasn't on the released list as he is Under 18 & there was no U18 released list!
  • Options

He wasn't on the released list as he is Under 18 & there was no U18 released list!

You can probably assume those not listed as turning pro are leaving. Doesn’t mean we didn’t offer them a deal of course, as seems to be the case with Willis.
  • Options
    Very surprised Regan signed another contract
  • Options

Wilberforce Ocran? I really hope he makes it with us, as that's such a great name!

And a great song for him, The Real Thing's 'Can You Feel the Wilberforce'!
  • Options

Very surprised Regan signed another contract

Always thought he had potential- seemed to have done well at Woking.Now it's his chance to prove he is good enough and push on
  • Options
    Hope young keeper Jordan Beeney gets himself another club......deserves another chance somewhere IMHO.
  • Options

I still think Charles-Cook has a lot to offer. Technically sound, works very hard and has an eye for goal. Easily good enough to cover CM, RM + RB.

Agree, I'm really pleased we've extended his stay. I think he had a lot to offer and think he's been a bit unlucky that he hasn't been given a chance to do so with the first team. There were times in the cups. And preseason where he looked more than good enough. He's just at a tough crossroads where he needs to play regular senior football to develop. Hopefully he'll be given a chance to prove himself in preseason. I believe he wasn't even invited to the original training camp in Ireland last summer, but was eventually brought up for the friendlies.

Other than that no real surprises. It would be a huge coup if we could somehow keep Kashi. I'm not expecting us to, but the fact that he's at least willing to entertain an offer from the club should one be made under new ownership is promising.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2018
    Scoham said:

He is, but he's said he's leaving

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw9oX-kZ_9k
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

I still think Charles-Cook has a lot to offer. Technically sound, works very hard and has an eye for goal. Easily good enough to cover CM, RM + RB.

Agree, I'm really pleased we've extended his stay. I think he had a lot to offer and think he's been a bit unlucky that he hasn't been given a chance to do so with the first team. There were times in the cups. And preseason where he looked more than good enough. He's just at a tough crossroads where he needs to play regular senior football to develop. Hopefully he'll be given a chance to prove himself in preseason. I believe he wasn't even invited to the original training camp in Ireland last summer, but was eventually brought up for the friendlies.

Other than that no real surprises. It would be a huge coup if we could somehow keep Kashi. I'm not expecting us to, but the fact that he's at least willing to entertain an offer from the club should one be made under new ownership is promising.
    Having worked with someone who has personally spoken to Kashi, they’re both Algerian, Ahmed was very disappointed that talks of a new contract was not forthcoming for quite a while. He understands about the takeover but no mention about discussions for a long time has made him feel extremely undervalued in a way.

If we can get this takeover sorted, and quickly, and offer him a contract, there is a chance we can keep him. Otherwise he isn’t going to hang around, if he gets an offer from France or somewhere similar, he will be off I think.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Am I the only one that will be happy to see the back of Kashi? I think that most of our better performances last season were without him. I never thought I would say this as I (as I suspect many do) love to cling onto the QPR and Hull incarnation of him, when he was unbelievable . Sadly that's 3 years ago
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    wmcf123 said:

Am I the only one that will be happy to see the back of Kashi? I think that most of our better performances last season were without him. I never thought I would say this as I (as I suspect many do) love to cling onto the QPR and Hull incarnation of him, when he was unbelievable . Sadly that's 3 years ago

As long as he is replaced. I have to say though, I think that about most of the squad. I wouldn’t actually be that bothered if any of them went.

Would like to see a summer transfer window like the one Powell oversaw when we won League 1.
  • Options

wmcf123 said:

As long as he is replaced. I have to say though, I think that about most of the squad. I wouldn’t actually be that bothered if any of them went.

Would like to see a summer transfer window like the one Powell oversaw when we won League 1.
    Yep.
    Can't argue with that.
    This squad needs a major shake up if we are going to be challenging for the top two.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    I would not keep kashi. Decent player but I think a bit over rated based on performances 3 years ago. He may recover that but more likely will pick up another injury and be out for a sustained time, unless we have so much cash his wages are no concern we need more reliable players IMO.
  • Options
    Kashi is still a very decent player, but he likes to have time on the ball, and can be a liability against teams that press him quickly. Most times his skill gets him out of trouble, but not always
  • Options
    I would prefer a new midfielder to come in to compete with Dijksteel, JFC and Aribo. If we can afford to keep 5 then great, but I would prefer to develop Dijksteel then playing Kashi who was decent last year but nothing special.

Certainly need a new CM so if we are only going to have 4 then I would allow Kashi to go.
  • Options
    edited May 2018

wmcf123 said:

Agreed, I think Bauer and Fosu would be the only 2 players I would be gutted to see leave.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

wmcf123 said:

Agreed, I think Bauer and Fosu would be the only 2 players I would be gutted to see leave.
    Good point - I actually forgot about Fosu.
  • Options
    Sage said:

SDAddick said:

Having worked with someone who has personally spoken to Kashi, they’re both Algerian, Ahmed was very disappointed that talks of a new contract was not forthcoming for quite a while. He understands about the takeover but no mention about discussions for a long time has made him feel extremely undervalued in a way.

If we can get this takeover sorted, and quickly, and offer him a contract, there is a chance we can keep him. Otherwise he isn’t going to hang around, if he gets an offer from France or somewhere similar, he will be off I think.
    That's a real shame. Unsurprising, but a real shame.

I remain baffled that people don't rate him, it feels like the standard backlash to when people think a player is good. It's not just what he does on the ball, it's what he does off of it, showing for the ball in possession and helping us build from the back, and then hassling, harrying, stepping into passing lanes and breaking up play when out of possession. He kept our defense from getting exposed many times this season. I'm excited to see what Dijksteel can do in his natural position, but he will be nowhere near where Kashi is given his experience.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Sage said:

SDAddick said:

I remain baffled that people don't rate him, it feels like the standard backlash to when people think a player is good. It's not just what he does on the ball, it's what he does off of it, showing for the ball in possession and helping us build from the back, and then hassling, harrying, stepping into passing lanes and breaking up play when out of possession. He kept our defense from getting exposed many times this season. I'm excited to see what Dijksteel can do in his natural position, but he will be nowhere near where Kashi is given his experience.
    Kashi would no doubt work well with real creativity in front of him. I also think he probably preferred the 4231 formation.

No doubt a decent player but I personally wouldn't be too bothered about giving him a new deal, mainly because of the impact on the budget given his estimated wage.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Sage said:

SDAddick said:

For me it is less about ability and more about reliability. League one clubs just can’t afford to carry wages of crocks and sadly in his time with us that is what we have done. Maybe he is over his injuries but with his track record I would offer nothing but a “pay as you play deal”, but doubt he would accept it.

No matter who owns us, we will like all League One clubs likely run a relatively lean squad so those players need to be likely to stay fit.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Sage said:

SDAddick said:

I think he's a decent player but
    a) I don't think he's entirely suited to L1, and would be better suited in a more technical league up against smaller, skilful midfielders, rather than the big, physical types you find in L1, who give you no time or space
    b) I imagine his wages would be high too (assuming we're not about to destroy the division in a money no object season)
  • Options

SDAddick said:

Sage said:

SDAddick said:

For me it is less about ability and more about reliability. League one clubs just can’t afford to carry wages of crocks and sadly in his time with us that is what we have done. Maybe he is over his injuries but with his track record I would offer nothing but a “pay as you play deal”, but doubt he would accept it.

No matter who owns us, we will like all League One clubs likely run a relatively lean squad so those players need to be likely to stay fit.
    Each and every player is a potential crock. Just one game away from injury.

This season Kashi played in every game until the end of February, when he picked up an injury.
    He was fit and back in the 1st team within 6 weeks.

He's played around 40 League and Cup games this season. Doesn't that prove his fitness and reliability?