Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Quirky local landmarks

Comments

• Options

Still visable in Danson Park,a low wall that formed part of the open air swimming pool that was a big part of my youth in the 1960's.

How Bexley Council got away with demolishing that beautiful Art Deco building I'll never know.

They got away with demolishing the whole of a pleasant little riverside town in Erith.
  • Options
    And of course outside The Blue Anchor pub in Bridgen Road, Bexley there was a real........blue anchor! Is it still there? Both the pub itself and the anchor I mean.
  • Options

Still visable in Danson Park,a low wall that formed part of the open air swimming pool that was a big part of my youth in the 1960's.

How Bexley Council got away with demolishing that beautiful Art Deco building I'll never know.

Yes and I seem to recall they closed it in 1977 exactly a year after that long, hot summer. It was a great example of Art Deco. Didn't it briefly become a skateboard park?
  • Options

And of course outside The Blue Anchor pub in Bridgen Road, Bexley there was a real........blue anchor! Is it still there? Both the pub itself and the anchor I mean.

The pub's there.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

seth plum said:

The multicoloured house, or junk shop in Loampit Vale.

Regarding the house on Loampit Hill, bit of info here:

https://brockleycentral.blogspot.com/2012/09/faces-of-lewisham-pink-house.html

http://lolaisbeauty.blogspot.co.uk/2008/10/happy-voodoo.html

Sadly, I believe Mr Pink passed away last year.

The junk shop is called Aladdin's Cave and is housed in a building that used to be Lewisham Road Railway Station on the Nunhead to Greenwich Park line which closed about a century ago (#proper Charlton). It's worth having a look in the shop, especially if you walk out the back and see how far down it goes. Never found the proprietors particularly friendly though, and their pricing policy seems to be based on flogging junk at antique prices.

On the other side of the road, there's a converted telephone box which now houses Lewisham Micro Library, the smallest library in London (the term "library" is pushing it a bit to be fair).

A little further down the hill, back towards Lewisham, is a fairly ropey looking curry house called Everest Curry King. Most of the clientele are Indian, and the first time I went in there, an Indian bloke who lived in Ealing told me he went there at least once a week and that it was the most authentic Indian food he'd found in London. Nice food, and a lot of stuff that I've never seen on the menu in any other curry houses. Despite the slightly alarming 2/5 hygiene rating from the Food Standards Agency, I've never had any traumatic "morning after" experiences.
    Sadly it seems there are plans afoot to redevelope Aladdin’s Cave:

https://brockleycentral.blogspot.com/2018/01/aladdins-cave-could-be-lost-to-flats.html?m=1
  • Options

Yes and I seem to recall they closed it in 1977 exactly a year after that long, hot summer. It was a great example of Art Deco. Didn't it briefly become a skateboard park?
    Hope thy emptied it first.
  • Options
    The Dutch houses near the standard always fascinated me as a kid.
  • Options

Dutch houses ? I lived near the Standard and don't know of these Dutch houses. Where were they exactly and why were they Dutch ?
  • Options

Dutch houses ? I lived near the Standard and don't know of these Dutch houses. Where were they exactly and why were they Dutch ?
    We knew them as the Noah's Ark Houses, because (I think) especially when viewed from Charlton Road they resembled an ark!

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2018
  • Options
    I've never been up Craigerne Road. Why would you?
  • Options

I've never been up Craigerne Road. Why would you?

It led to the Sun in the Sands.
  • Options
    The stagecoach in Bull and Vic Dartford
  • Options
    clive said:

That mirror shop in the way to the valley by the A2.
    How can such a niche shop survive such a random item of household furniture.

@i-b-b-o-r-g is looking into it
    He'll enjoy that.
  • Options
    iainment said:

clive said:

He'll enjoy that.
    Yikes, how many years bad luck will that be?
    The face that launched a thousand shits...
  • Options
    clive said:

He'll only see his reflection.
  • Options

Iv often thought that as well. But, it's still there. Another thread in that Niche small shops that have been around forever, when you wonder who uses them.
  • Options

Maybe they sell most of their products online and only really need the shop for storage, and perhaps the odd bit of passing trade.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

It's about time they reflected on their business model...
  • Options
    I haven't read the whole thread so someone may have posted this already.

By the exit to the Aske's teachers' car park on Vesta Road, there was, probably still is, a black metal post which says Kent on the east side and Surrey on the west side.
  • Options

I haven't read the whole thread so someone may have posted this already.

By the exit to the Aske's teachers' car park on Vesta Road, there was, probably still is, a black metal post which says Kent on the east side and Surrey on the west side.

A reminder to all Charlton fans as to which county they should be supporting
  • Options
    The old 17c cottage in Charlton road.
  • Options
    We live about a mile away from the giant golf ball at Mundesley, sorry, no pic, have a google
  • Options

We live about a mile away from the giant golf ball at Mundesley, sorry, no pic, have a google

That's an RAF radar station - compared to other military sites, it's always amazed me how small the site and how close to the road it is
  • Options
    Rotunda in Ha Ha Road
  • Options
    The statue of Sir Thomas Waghorn in Chatham. He points towards the river and sits upon a bit of land opposite Wickes.

It's a local rites of passage to put a cone one his head, the weaker among the medway youth claim a cone over his pointing arm as a victory but it has to be head or nothing

• Options
    The "Links Co-op Clock", meeting point for my Sunday League side, Heathland Celtic,(u10-u14) in late 60s early 70s. asked my old brother what did Co-Op stand for, he told me it stood for "Cock out of Pants"!