Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Quirky local landmarks

Comments

• Options
    I always get a warm feeling when I see the chimney of Littlebrook Power Station as I know I'm nearly home - will be sad when they pull it down, as it's been part of my since I was little
  • Options
    The water tower at the top of Shooters Hill
  • Options
    SHG....Has the Eagle pub closed up Shooters Hill?
  • Options
    The horse trough in Ha Ha Road.
  • Options

Yes, quite a few years back.
  • Options

Yes. It’s now been converted into housing. Pity as back in the 80’s and 90’s it was a decent family pub. Went downhill at a rate of knots once Roy left.

• Options
    The vintage orange MG on the plinth at ZB’s breakers yard on the road from Ruxley to Swanley.

Some scroat set fire to it a few years ago but the chassis is still up there.
  • Options
    The funny scrap yard place near to the railway station at New Cross with a coffin on the roof and an arm sticking out from the coffin
  • Options
    edited May 2018

I always get a warm feeling when I see the chimney of Littlebrook Power Station as I know I'm nearly home - will be sad when they pull it down, as it's been part of my since I was little

My dad worked on building it, think late 70’s. Remember him coming home after 6 ? men died on site when a hoist when crashing down the shaft of one of water cooling tunnels.
  • Options

The vintage orange MG on the plinth at ZB’s breakers yard on the road from Ruxley to Swanley.

Blimey Dave.
    Haven't been that way for years but remember that MG on the plinth when I was a boy nearly 60 years ago.
    Can't believe its still there.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Blimey Dave.
    Haven't been that way for years but remember that MG on the plinth when I was a boy nearly 60 years ago.
    You have to look for it but the chassis, radiator and wheels are still there.
  • Options

Blimey Dave.
    Thanks Dave. The next time I'm that way I'll have a look.
    Funny how old landmarks however silly or simple bring back memories.
    The MG at ZB breakers reminds me of days out with my dad and uncle Don (both long since past) in Dons sit up and beg Ford car.
    We didn't have a car so it was a treat to go out with dad and Don.
    Thanks for the memory Dave.
  • Options

Blimey Dave.
    The MG at ZB breakers reminds me of days out with my dad and uncle Don (both long since past) in Dons sit up and beg Ford car.
    P.S. I would always look for the MG as we passed in Dons car on our way down the A20.
  • Options
    The tea hut on the road that cuts through the 'heath' in Blackheath.
  • Options
    Gallions Hill in West Thamesmead. It's a quite unique looking manmade hill with great views over London. The planes coming into City Airport feel very low when you are stood on top of it.
  • Options

Blimey Dave.
    My old man had an old sit up and beg Ford Pop. We were coming back from the coast when a half shaft snapped and a back wheel fell off coming down Death Hill at Brands Hatch. I was only about 18 months old so don’t remember it but I apparantly cried all the time they were waiting for the breakdown truck.
  • Options

Blimey Dave.
    My old man had an old sit up and beg Ford Pop. We were coming back from the coast when a half shaft snapped and a back wheel fell off coming down Death Hill at Brands Hatch. I was only about 18 months old so don’t remember it but I apparantly cried all the time they were waiting for the breakdown truck.
    Is death hill the hill going down towards Farningham roundabout?
  • Options

Blimey Dave.
    Is death hill the hill going down towards Farningham roundabout?
    Yes, I think it’s called Gorse Hill now.
  • Options

Yes. It’s now been converted into housing. Pity as back in the 80’s and 90’s it was a decent family pub. Went downhill at a rate of knots once Roy left.

Shame, always liked a mini pub crawl up that way...The Bull, Red Lion and The Eagle. Actually preferred it to going out in Eltham when we lived in Well Hall Road.
  • Options

The bloke who did the conversion currently being prosecuted by Royal Greenwich for not obtaining planning permission.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Riviera said:

The bloke who did the conversion currently being prosecuted by Royal Greenwich for not obtaining planning permission.
    Bit of luck it will revert to a pub...but I doubt it.
  • Options
    As a child there was a coach garage in Eltham, Cliff's coaches I think it was called, somewhere between Westmount Road and Footscray Road I think but I was (believe it or not) young then so maybe getting mixed up.

I always liked looking for the coaches when we went that way for some reason.
  • Options
    The multicoloured house, or junk shop in Loampit Vale.
  • Options
    The cat in catford.
  • Options
    The ford in Eynsford.
  • Options
    The tree in the middle of the road just by Charlton village. Fairfield?
  • Options

The guy that used to direct the traffic on the ramps of the Blackwall Tunnel south bound

Was that where there used to be a police box (Tardis) and, if so, was it there for him?
    Also, there used to be a blue police box on Welling Corner when I was a kid.