Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Quirky local landmarks

Comments

• In Charlton Cemetery the grave to Tom Murphy with the greyhounds on it. My Dad used to tell us about a monkey band, owned by Murphy that caused havoc when they got loose. We used to think he was pulling our leg. I always go past it when I visit my parents' grave:
    https://runner500.wordpress.com/2014/.../thomas-murphy-and-the-charlton-greyhoun.
  • bobmunro said:

Still visable in Danson Park,a low wall that formed part of the open air swimming pool that was a big part of my youth in the 1960's.

How Bexley Council got away with demolishing that beautiful Art Deco building I'll never know.

Memories! I spent many a happy day there.
    I spent most of the Summer of '76 there, pretty much every day.

"The long hot Summer just passed me by"
  • bobmunro said:

Still visable in Danson Park,a low wall that formed part of the open air swimming pool that was a big part of my youth in the 1960's.

How Bexley Council got away with demolishing that beautiful Art Deco building I'll never know.

Same here, had a couple of lorry tyre inner tubes, that we inflate in the garage down the road and take them in.
  • The canon, Welling!
  • Is Welling even a real place ?

;0)
  • Great thread
    Love local history

Found this whilst looking for info on that Falconwood Hotel

http://e-shootershill.co.uk/tag/past/

Note that there is more than one page at the bottom
  • Anyone remember the part of a Lancaster bomber fuselage that sat in what is now the car park of the TA property in Victoria Way. We used to play inside it. The front bit was hinged on one side so you could swing it in and out whilst you hung on for dear life dangling in mid air 10 feet above the ground.
  • Sponsored links:

• The canon, Welling!

Well I’m desperately trying to erase it from my childhood memories for sure
  • The history of Arsenal over 100 years ago still fascinates me including the original terraces in the back gardens of houses in mineral street Plumstead http://www.thearsenalhistory.com/?p=10713
  • The guy that used to direct the traffic on the ramps of the Blackwall Tunnel south bound

Was that where there used to be a police box (Tardis) and, if so, was it there for him?
  • was there a roundabout with a chinese type building in the middle up near where the world of leather was? or is my memory playing tricks on me?
  • The history of Arsenal over 100 years ago still fascinates me including the original terraces in the back gardens of houses in mineral street Plumstead http://www.thearsenalhistory.com/?p=10713

Thanks @CharltonPete . Found my way to the derelict London site eventually following up on your link about the Arsenal Invicta ground at Hector road. Charlton's old grounds covered first-
    http://www.derelictlondon.com/londons-long-lost-sports-grounds.html
  • bobmunro said:

'74, '75 and '76. I was only 10/11 but was totally mesmerized by the wonderful array of bikinied beauties, you just didn't get such wonders at Eltham Park lido. Me and my mates always spent too much in the Café and never had our bus fare home. Many long hot walks home along the A2.
  • Always used to be a realisation on the A2 on way back from holiday that you were near home when you saw the Woolwich building at Bexleyheath on the A2

Similarly out of character, the ‘Kentucky ‘ house on Danson Rd
  • Always used to be a realisation on the A2 on way back from holiday that you were near home when you saw the Woolwich building at Bexleyheath on the A2

Is that house we used to call the "Gone with the Wind" house, not too far down on the left if you were turning into Danson Road from B'Heath? Seem to recall it was pink or something equally lurid
  • was there a roundabout with a chinese type building in the middle up near where the world of leather was? or is my memory playing tricks on me?

The Chinese garage Beckenham???
  • Sponsored links:

• The guy that used to direct the traffic on the ramps of the Blackwall Tunnel south bound

Was that where there used to be a police box (Tardis) and, if so, was it there for him?
    No mate

He was a massive ginger bloke who hangs around the northern side of the blackwall tunnel wearing a high vis jacket? He's been around since I was a kid in the 80s/90s, he used to hang about round Old St and Shoreditch shouting at cars one minute and trying to direct traffic the next

Is that house we used to call the "Gone with the Wind" house, not too far down on the left if you were turning into Danson Road from B'Heath? Seem to recall it was pink or something equally lurid
    Yes, that’s the one
  • The Tank in Mandela way off the old Kent rd. Always felt it was just missing a sign saying "You are now entering Millwalls Manor" ;)
  • The ‘witches house’ up the hill on the right between Lewisham and New Cross with the weird painting round the door.
  • Blackheath tea hut.
    The brook hospital water tower.

Wasn’t that the old Wadham Stringer garage?
  • The ‘witches house’ up the hill on the right between Lewisham and New Cross with the weird painting round the door.

Yes I remember that - top of Loampit Vale. Creepy looking place.
  • bobmunro said:

The ‘witches house’ up the hill on the right between Lewisham and New Cross with the weird painting round the door.

Yes I remember that - top of Loampit Vale. Creepy looking place.
    Still there and looking the same now as far as I know.
  • Lewisham Pie Stall.

Yes, that’s the one
    Was owned by a local builder called Ben Williams who my late father knew.

In the fifties he built some maisonetts near Bernie Ecclestones car lot in Brunswick Road, the cul de sac is called Robina Close after Ben Williams wife.

Their house in Danson Road was called the Kentuckian.