Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Shrewsbury v Charlton | Sun 13 May | 5:15pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2018
    I would ask for even luck. I think we have more talented players and it is their chance to show that with even luck they can get the result they need.
  • Options
    Valley11 said:

They outmuscled us in midfield. I’d stick Konsa in with Kashi, JFC and Fosu. The Dutch lad at right back.

Bang on and unless we change it today same thing may well happen. Shrews are well set for this league, big, strong and hard working. They simply closed us down early on Thursday and doubled up on Mav and Fosu (who was brought on too late to make a difference). Question is; will the Shrews come at us and try to get a second - which would surely kill us off - or sit deeper and defend their one goal lead? Myself, I don't see this. 0-0 or 1-1 I reckon. Hope I'm wrong!
  • Options

SDAddick said:

So I had something right after the game plus life stuff haven't really had a chance to sit down and reflect. I think AFKA is bang on many did not give Shrews nearly enough credit. They are a tough and ruthless team. They are well organized and they don't give you much.

Second I thought tactically we were poor. We have the likes of JFC and Reeves and Kashi and Mav and our main point of attack in the second half seemed to be lump it to Josh to win flick ons. That's crazy to me. We've gone from one extreme to the other, from too much and too predictable possession to not enough. Some of that is definitely down to how Shrewsbury played us but we have to play football to be successful at this stage. We have players to play far better than we did, but Shrewsbury executed their game plan better. Goal was a bit of a sucker punch but it's not like we created loads of chances.

Flat 4-4-2 needs to go. We get pulled out of position far too easily and eventually, despite excellent work rate, Kashi and JFC were overpowered by the three Shrewsbury had in midfield. It felt like a tactical battle from 2005 4-5-1 vs 4-4-2. So frequently it ends one way and unless the midfield two get control of the ball or the team sit very deep eventually the extra man shows.

I think we'd looke much better with Reeves, JFC, and Kashi all more central with Mav playing in that free role in a diamond, or even a 4-3-3. Both Mav and Reeves were missing for long stretches because we didn't get the ball down and play it. It makes us narrow but Konsa showed he can in fact get forward well, and Jay is Jay. Also, expect them to sit back at times so we'll need to break them down.

To me Sunday is all about what Bowyer does and how he makes tactical adjustments. I am worried it might be too much too soon for him as a manager. No doubt the players will be up for it, and both that and the fact that we're here is to Bowyer's immense credit, but at this stage you need more than just being up for it.

Good to have you posting again, @SDAddick & hope you can enjoy ( if that's the correct word for a Charlton match !) tomorrow's game from across the Pond.

I don't normally make predictions but apart from the opportunity to play for a place in the 2nd tier, our lads will be going hammer & tong for a win for other reasons.

I was told that KM had promised them another trip to Vegas should they gain promotion and that Chris Parkes has since confirmed this following her departure.

So, maybe a rousing chorus of "Viva Las Vegas" might be in order if/when we are victorious tomorrow ?
    Will be flying out to Vegas on Thursday for a week - will I have something to look forward to on my return?
  • Options
    A big mountain to climb against a team who can play conservatively and replicate their time wasting (we would do the same TBF)

Malvidi has struggled to replicate his form from pre injure, this and last season but if he can play off the shoulder of the last defender then maybe, just maybe.
    Need to get 45 minutes from Fosu to have any chance.
    All I know is we were heading to mid table mediocrity under soft lad.
    Lee and JJ have done their upmost to galvanise the players.
    We may well fall short, but if it's means we have a new owner soon and Bow and JJ are allowed to carry on with a half decent budget then the new dawn is still possible all be it in League 1.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Shrewsbury may be 1-0 up but they have to defend that lead no matter what and it changes their game plan, which is sometimes a lot harder because it will restrict them at times and they will have to call it right. 1,500 Charlton fans, especially the persistently noisy ones that have been turning up lately, will make a big difference in a small capacity ground. They’ll take away any nervousness or doubt in the Charlton team and transfer those two dangers across to the Home fans and the Shrewsbury players. Stop Shrewsbury from scoring and push them back into their own half and the Home fans will get on their players backs and they will start to make mistakes.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

We need a little luck today. We've haven't had much all season, so some is well overdue.

The Glikstens, while looking for a new manager, famously asked Jimmy Seed if he was lucky in football. His reply: 'Always!'

Fingers crossed then.

Jimmy Seed's Red & White Army!

The Pearce goal with his arse to beat Blackburn was a bit lucky!
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

We need a little luck today. We've haven't had much all season, so some is well overdue.

The Glikstens, while looking for a new manager, famously asked Jimmy Seed if he was lucky in football. His reply: 'Always!'

Fingers crossed then.

Like it!
  • Options

Woke up this morning feeling tired
    I hope Bowyer's men are more inspired
    I'm taking the train as a proper Charlton fan should, oh yeah.
    Something tells me I'm into something good

I detest this song and all of its iterations! It's purely because it was 'penned' in Mancunia and we have copied/adopted it! Stop it! Now!

Phew! Glad that's off my chest!!
  • Options
    Didn't feel at all optimistic after Thursday but woke up this morning feeling we can get a result today. I'd love another trip to Wembley
  • Options
    All the best songs were penned in mancunia!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don't know where the goals are coming from. Can see a 3-0 defeat.
  • Options
    Feel Bowyer deserves great credit to get us in the play offs and the match at Portsmouth really brought the pride back to supporting Charlton. Sadly without Fosu we are not the same team and we lack a cutting edge. Shrewsbury looked way too good for us on Thursday, just as they did back in Februrary. I can see today being the same sadly, 2-0 to Shrewsbury but on with the takeover.
  • Options
    JUST PUT A BLOODY SHIFT IN!!!

NO HIDING IS ALL WE ASK

UP THE ADDICKS.
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

I don't know where the goals are coming from. Can see a 3-0 defeat.

Well, that's because you haven't woken up this morning yet...
  • Options
    Most nervous I have been in years
  • Options
    Got no hope, and I have absolutely no idea why i’m going.

3-0 Shrewsbury
  • Options
    Early goal for us and it might happen but I think they'll go ahead just before half-time and the game will end up 1-1.
  • Options

Got no hope, and I have absolutely no idea why i’m going.

3-0 Shrewsbury

Nug said:

Early goal for us and it might happen but I think they'll go ahead just before half-time and the game will end up 1-1.

Nothing there a pint or two before the game won’t cure...
  • Options

A big mountain to climb against a team who can play conservatively and replicate their time wasting (we would do the same TBF)

Malvidi has struggled to replicate his form from pre injure, this and last season but if he can play off the shoulder of the last defender then maybe, just maybe.
    Need to get 45 minutes from Fosu to have any chance.
    All I know is we were heading to mid table mediocrity under soft lad.
    Lee and JJ have done their upmost to galvanise the players.
    We may well fall short, but if it's means we have a new owner soon and Bow and JJ are allowed to carry on with a half decent budget then the new dawn is still possible all be it in League 1.

Malvidi? Poor fella, normally gets misspelled as Mavidi.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bought little fella this as a hopefully good luck omen for today.

2 nil Charlton, Magennis and Bauer.
  • Options

Hopefully Fosu will play more centrally if he starts. I wondered if he was pushed out wide on Thursday as he was not fit enough to play his usual role?

As JamesSeed said he often starts out wide and drifts in. I think it was more the case that he took up the role Mav was playing which was left midfield when defending and then having freedom to roam when attacking. The problem was that Reeves wants to do something similar on the other side, and in both instances it seemed a case of not quite one thing or the other. I think both of the wide players looked isolated and drifted in and out, Reeves being more conservative, but because we were outnumbered in midfield we struggled to be able get Stephy the ball deep and let him run at them.
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Id say 99 out of 100 footballers nowadays would have gone down from the tackle before the shot, in fact Id go 100 out of 100
  • Options

JamesSeed said:

Fingers crossed then.

The Pearce goal with his arse to beat Blackburn was a bit lucky!
    Yeah we got a bit of luck in the run in. The goal coming off Pearce's shoulder against Shrewsbury was also pretty lucky. But with both goals, they were set up by moments of quality, JFC's service and Kashi's volley.

But yeah, I think we'll need a bit of luck and we've just not had it this season. That's not necessarily why we are where we are, I just hope we're do something flukey.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Im going today, but the way shrews did a job on us on thurs gives me very little confidence. I think it will end up a damp squib 0-0 or 1-1 and that will see them through. Just cant see us being able to put them under the sort of sustained pressure that would yield a couple of goals.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    In the words of Alan Curbishely “shots, let’s ‘ave plenty of shots”
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!