Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Shrewsbury v Charlton | Sun 13 May | 5:15pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2018
    I suggest being a little more tactically creative with our defence as we stay so deep that our midfield is lost and outnumbered in vast space. We keep complaining that Kashi is too deep but he's forced to cause Pearce and Bauer never push up. Maybe even replace Pearce with Konsa as he's a better ball player..?
  • Options
    Mavididi must play in a free role or leave him out.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

So I had something right after the game plus life stuff haven't really had a chance to sit down and reflect. I think AFKA is bang on many did not give Shrews nearly enough credit. They are a tough and ruthless team. They are well organized and they don't give you much.

Second I thought tactically we were poor. We have the likes of JFC and Reeves and Kashi and Mav and our main point of attack in the second half seemed to be lump it to Josh to win flick ons. That's crazy to me. We've gone from one extreme to the other, from too much and too predictable possession to not enough. Some of that is definitely down to how Shrewsbury played us but we have to play football to be successful at this stage. We have players to play far better than we did, but Shrewsbury executed their game plan better. Goal was a bit of a sucker punch but it's not like we created loads of chances.

Flat 4-4-2 needs to go. We get pulled out of position far too easily and eventually, despite excellent work rate, Kashi and JFC were overpowered by the three Shrewsbury had in midfield. It felt like a tactical battle from 2005 4-5-1 vs 4-4-2. So frequently it ends one way and unless the midfield two get control of the ball or the team sit very deep eventually the extra man shows.

I think we'd looke much better with Reeves, JFC, and Kashi all more central with Mav playing in that free role in a diamond, or even a 4-3-3. Both Mav and Reeves were missing for long stretches because we didn't get the ball down and play it. It makes us narrow but Konsa showed he can in fact get forward well, and Jay is Jay. Also, expect them to sit back at times so we'll need to break them down.

To me Sunday is all about what Bowyer does and how he makes tactical adjustments. I am worried it might be too much too soon for him as a manager. No doubt the players will be up for it, and both that and the fact that we're here is to Bowyer's immense credit, but at this stage you need more than just being up for it.

Good to have you posting again, @SDAddick & hope you can enjoy ( if that's the correct word for a Charlton match !) tomorrow's game from across the Pond.

I don't normally make predictions but apart from the opportunity to play for a place in the 2nd tier, our lads will be going hammer & tong for a win for other reasons.

I was told that KM had promised them another trip to Vegas should they gain promotion and that Chris Parkes has since confirmed this following her departure.

So, maybe a rousing chorus of "Viva Las Vegas" might be in order if/when we are victorious tomorrow ?
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Sage said:

Okay so I’ve had a little think and there’s two things I’ve come up with, one is something to definitely consider, the other is what I would like us to go with but won’t ever happen.

1. Konsa in central midfield has got to be a real option. I know Dijksteel is a central midfielder, but much prefer him at right back than Konsa, plus he can give us that extra energy and bite in the middle, people say he done a great job in that role at Shrewsbury only a few weeks back. Therefore, I would still be happy to see something like this:

Amos
    Dijksteel Bauer Pearce Dasilva
    Kashi
    Konsa Forster-Caskey
    Fosu
    Magennis Ajose

2. Playing a back three with Marshall and Dasilva as wing backs, this will allow us to see Dasilva pushed further forward where his ball control and attacking talents can be used better. It’ll allow Fosu to be in the free role behind the two strikers and he can really hurt teams there.

Amos
    Konsa Bauer Pearce
    Marshall Kashi Forster-Caskey Dasilva
    Fosu
    Magennis Ajose
    I went with your second team on the thread about the team for sunday. We need to go for it and get body’s in midfield, because that’s where we lost the game on thursday
  • Options

4-0

Wembley Wembley

For Shrewsbury!
    Think you meant 0-4!!

• Options
    Hopefully Fosu will play more centrally if he starts. I wondered if he was pushed out wide on Thursday as he was not fit enough to play his usual role?
  • Options

Hopefully Fosu will play more centrally if he starts. I wondered if he was pushed out wide on Thursday as he was not fit enough to play his usual role?

He often plays out wide and drifts inside.
  • Options
    All about the first goal !!!
  • Options
    I'd love to see Mavididi and Fosu swapping through the game! We are talking league one defenders here and we need to make them uncomfortable.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What will be will be! At the end of the day, 7-8 games ago we all thought we wouldn’t even make it into the playoffs!

The lads have got nothing to lose! As others have said, first goal will be crucial! We are not dead and out yet!

If we don’t make it, fair play to Shrewsbury they throughly deserve promotion this season!
  • Options
    Fosu is unlikely to be able to last 90 mins, so the dilemma for Bowyer is whether to start him, or bring him on later against tiring legs. Personally, I'd like to see him start, as if we were to go 2 down, he may not be able to have any impact anyway.
    Kashi was so poor in the first leg, that I wonder if he was carrying an injury. In any case, I'd like to see Konsa bolstering the midfield. We need to run at them through the middle and Konsa or Aribo are able to do that better than Kashi or JFC.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

Deluded myself into thinking we'd have the tie sewn up by the end of yesterday evening. Idiot.

Back to reality now. 2 early Shrewsbury goals kill the tie-off before the half hour mark, and they get one more with 15 minutes to go to get the party in full swing. There will be no "The Taming of the Shrew"-related headlines in Monday's papers.

Going on holiday at 7am on Monday morning, so undoubtedly either my car will break down on the way home or I'll be beset my some other misfortune that stops me from getting home at a decent time.

Let the train take the strain...
  • Options

Fosu is unlikely to be able to last 90 mins, so the dilemma for Bowyer is whether to start him, or bring him on later against tiring legs. Personally, I'd like to see him start, as if we were to go 2 down, he may not be able to have any impact anyway.
    Kashi was so poor in the first leg, that I wonder if he was carrying an injury. In any case, I'd like to see Konsa bolstering the midfield. We need to run at them through the middle and Konsa or Aribo are able to do that better than Kashi or JFC.

Or will we want Fosu to be on the pitch for penalties if need be?
  • Options

I suggest being a little more tactically creative with our defence as we stay so deep that our midfield is lost and outnumbered in vast space. We keep complaining that Kashi is too deep but he's forced to cause Pearce and Bauer never push up. Maybe even replace Pearce with Konsa as he's a better ball player..?

Thisssssssssssssssssssss.

If I'd suggested it I'd be hung, drawn, and quartered (or like, disagreed with politely). But yes, I think Konsa's pace allows us to play a higher line and have our lines closer together.
  • Options
    Sage said:

Okay so I’ve had a little think and there’s two things I’ve come up with, one is something to definitely consider, the other is what I would like us to go with but won’t ever happen.

1. Konsa in central midfield has got to be a real option. I know Dijksteel is a central midfielder, but much prefer him at right back than Konsa, plus he can give us that extra energy and bite in the middle, people say he done a great job in that role at Shrewsbury only a few weeks back. Therefore, I would still be happy to see something like this:

Amos
    Dijksteel Bauer Pearce Dasilva
    Kashi
    Konsa Forster-Caskey
    Fosu
    Magennis Ajose

2. Playing a back three with Marshall and Dasilva as wing backs, this will allow us to see Dasilva pushed further forward where his ball control and attacking talents can be used better. It’ll allow Fosu to be in the free role behind the two strikers and he can really hurt teams there.

Amos
    Konsa Bauer Pearce
    Fosu
    Magennis Ajose
    So I'm very much in favor of that first team. I think we need to go back to a diamond in midfield. But with that diamond I think we need Konsa's ability to get forward at right back to provide width. I'd personally play Reeves in the middle instead of him in your team, but I think Aribo is also worth a shout. I think Reeves has looked lackluster in recent weeks because he's been played on the right, and as we saw under Robinson he drifts in and out of the game out there. But when he gets the ball, he always looks like he might create something.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    I'd go with
    Amos
    Konsa Bauer Pearce Page
    Fosu Mavididi
    Magennis Ajose

And hope no-one's counting.

Tbh, it may not be our day. But we'll go down fighting. 1-1
  • Options
    No expectations, just happy to be here.
  • Options
    They think they've got it in the bag.
    We know what we've got to do.

0-2
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

They think they've got it in the bag.
    We know what we've got to do.

0-2

Let's hope we do mate.
    After the last few years under Roland a day out at Wembley is the least we deserve.
  • Options
    edited May 2018

I would play him central. Shrewsbury's pitch is narrow and not good for wingers . Fosu had a poor game on the wing when we went there a month ago as he had no space to run into. Try him just behind the front 2.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

I'd go with
    Amos
    Konsa Bauer Pearce Page
    Fosu Mavididi
    Magennis Ajose

And hope no-one's counting.

Tbh, it may not be our day. But we'll go down fighting. 1-1

Is page in contention or out for the season?
  • Options
    We needed an old school Jacko performance in centre midfield to grab the game by the scruff of the neck and take control. We don't have anyone really who does that anymore.
  • Options
    We needed an old school Jacko performance in centre midfield to grab the game by the scruff of the neck and take control. We don't have anyone really who does that anymore.
  • Options
    Pearce and Bauer dropped off because their 5 in midfield took control. We could match their 4-4-1-1 with a 4-2-3-1

Midfield of Kashi and FC holding. Fosu, Aribo and Marshall.
  • Options
    I wasn't as nervous as I thought I was gonna be whilst watching at The Valley the other night...(was on the run up too it tho)...my only thought during that game as it went on was if we were to lose,lose 1-0 then take it to them at there place,where I think there players & fans will be more nervous as we literally know have nothing to lose by going at them from the off...2-0 to Lee Lee Lee Bowyers Red n White Army...

But this time I know il be nervous for sure on waking up tomoz & will defo be biting me fingernails from the warm up till the full time whistle...

Cmon U Addicks...

• Options
    MrLargo said:

Deluded myself into thinking we'd have the tie sewn up by the end of yesterday evening. Idiot.

Back to reality now. 2 early Shrewsbury goals kill the tie-off before the half hour mark, and they get one more with 15 minutes to go to get the party in full swing. There will be no "The Taming of the Shrew"-related headlines in Monday's papers.

Going on holiday at 7am on Monday morning, so undoubtedly either my car will break down on the way home or I'll be beset my some other misfortune that stops me from getting home at a decent time.

At least you are not in the hands of Southeastern.
  • Options

I would play him central. Shrewsbury's pitch is narrow and not good for wingers . Fosu had a poor game on the wing when we went there a month ago as he had no space to run into. Try him just behind the front 2.
    Yeah he was pretty anonymous in the first half against them. Second half he looked an absolute terror when he was either played more central or given more freedom to drift into that 10 position behind the forwards.

That said, I can't see him starting tomorrow. I think it's too much too soon and I think we'd rather have him in the second half especially if we're chasing the game. But Mavididi, on his day and when he's involved, is a very good replacement. But we need to get him on the ball driving at people.

Obviously the turnaround time is short but if I were Bowyer I'd work with the team on setting up in a diamond. This would be the primary formation, and would be used to keep the ball, get close to each other where our midfielders can use their technical skill, and either be able to play through them or set it up so you can get the fullbacks overlapping to get crosses in for JFC, Ajose, and Mag, or get Stephy 1-v-1, or even work chances from distance with Reeves, Kashi, and JFC.
    ................ Amos
    Konsa Bauer Pearce DaSilva
    ....... ........ Kashi
    ..... Aribo/Reeves...JFC
    ............... Mavididi
    .......... Magennis Ajose

I'd then have the team work on dropping in to a 4-1-4-1 when up against it, so it becomes:
    Konsa Bauer Pearce DaSilva
    ................. Kashi
    Ajose Aribo/Reeves JFC Mavididi
    .............Magennis

I expect Shrewsbury will have spells of possession in the game, they clearly look to rest with the ball. In those instances let them have it, have a shape that's hard to break down, and then look to the pace out wide to counter. We let them have a lot of the ball in the league game at theirs and they struggled to break us down. We need to be less open and stretched than we were on Thursday. And when Bowyer has been tactically good this season it's been when he's been able to get the players to make in game adjustments and basically have two plans and change them as needed to fit the game. His first game in charge was an excellent example of that.

I think I'd probably start with Reeves. I think his experience could be very useful. And if played centrally, Aribo can be a live wire coming off the bench. But I think with Joe he blows hot and cold a bit, and though very special on his day I think Reeves' subtlety and nouos will be what is required, at least in the first 60-70 minutes.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!