Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

14,367 (777 away)

Comments

• Options
    kentred2 said:

kentred2 said:

msomerton said:

At least last nights attendance figures put to bed the idea that crowds will pick up when Roland sells. Once people stop attending they get out of the habit and do not return. Roland or no the gates will be around 8,00 or below which ever league we are in except for the premiership.

No. People are boycotting.
    the returning boycotters will account for 500 absolute tops in my opinion
    Vast understatement. I know 20 plus.
    In contrast, I don't know any.

I know my mate, who stopped going because he'd fallen out of love with league football and I know the bloke who used to sit next to me who stopped going because he didn't like the ill feeling between supporters in the last relegation season.
  • Options

777 was a decent turn out from the Shrews on 4 days notice.

Thought it was poor.

Biggest game for ages. They will have London based supporters. Other clubs with similar sized support would have brought more.

Having said that those that came gave their team good backing

think that's a bit unfair. Have you ever met anyone in your life who claimed to support them? Or even comes from there? Not me, even going back to Uni days. I can think of at least one Scunny fan for example (the Guardian reporter who covered the Valley Party). And one of my best mates is Blackpool born and bred. Old boss at the London agency was Plymouth, etc, etc. But Shrewsbury? Nope.

Hats off to them, I say.

I bumped into a cricketing opponent in the curry house pre-match. He was supporting Shrewsbury and we were recalling the days of the early 80's when we'd take about 80-100 to Gay Meadow and they'd bring about 35 to The Valley. And they were bloody difficult to beat then too! The first time I saw us beat them was at Selhurst 4-1.
  • Options
    By my guess, there were 18k there last night.
  • Options

By comparison millsmall had 12,568 for their semi final play off first leg

I'm going to assume that you specifically went to look that up just to try and take a small, and completely irrelevant, crumb of comfort from last nights result.

I hate to break it to you but that stat wont give you any extra impetus for the away leg (where, to save you the time after Sundays game, we took 1200 fans to Scunthorpe for our fixture last year).

You're definitely obsessed, mate :wink:
    I thought it was a pathetically small gate and so wanted to compare it to a pathetically small club with a similar fixture , where better than smallwall for that comparison
    in fact i was disappointed your crowd wasn't bigger so i could slate our numbers (it's what i do)
    and in fact 1200 for a same time similar distance is a poor turn out as well
    ffs millwall you're not helping my point that our away support ,numbers for our touchy fans, is poor

The real tough test in matching them will come if we get to Wembley. When they have been to Wembley, the Diaspora crawls out from the woodwork. The ones who claim to be 'Wall but when you test them by asking who started at centre back last Saturday, will answer "er, I think Barry Kitchener". My Spanner mate, that I've just made up to validate the point I'm about to make, here in Prague is a perfect example. Been to Wembley twice but never to the New Toolbox. Doesn't even know why I call him a "Spanner".

A likely story.
  • Options

I'm going to assume that you specifically went to look that up just to try and take a small, and completely irrelevant, crumb of comfort from last nights result.

I hate to break it to you but that stat wont give you any extra impetus for the away leg (where, to save you the time after Sundays game, we took 1200 fans to Scunthorpe for our fixture last year).

I thought it was a pathetically small gate and so wanted to compare it to a pathetically small club with a similar fixture , where better than smallwall for that comparison
    in fact i was disappointed your crowd wasn't bigger so i could slate our numbers (it's what i do)
    ffs millwall you're not helping my point that our away support ,numbers for our touchy fans, is poor

1200 allocation. 1200 sold

I know of a few people in the life game. They'd give you a discount on one if you're interested.

Either way, we won, were promoted and now find ourselves here today :smiley:
  • Options
    I watched on TV and I would say 14k is about right. The West was 2/3 full at best, only 700 in the South and the East was not full with 2 x complete blocks closed off. The North was busy but plenty of spare seats and the Quads had plenty of room.

I think the figures AFKA posted earlier (below) are fairly close to what the TV cameras showed.

Empty Seats:

2.6k South
    3.5k East
    4K West
    2.5k quads
    250 North
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The game felt much, much busier than the previous reported attendances of around 14k. I presume crowds "look" busier because people don't tend to sit right next to each other, but leave a seat or two in between for a bit of space?

Either way, if that's what 14k feels like, my memories of 20k+ music be severely diminished.
  • Options

Thought it was poor.

Biggest game for ages. They will have London based supporters. Other clubs with similar sized support would have brought more.

Are you one of those fans who chant is that all you take away without realising the irony? I assume you're going to Shrewsbury on Sunday ?
  • Options

1200 allocation. 1200 sold

Loyalty points! :lol:

Do you get 120 for going to Wembley?
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    seth plum said:

@Covered End lol'd me when my guess was around 14k.
    However the official figure does seem a bit out, seemed nearer 17k, except the Shrewsbury attendance was low, and looking across at the West Stand it wasn't exactly throbbing so the near 14k might be right.
    The shortage if time to sell, plus the difficulty some had getting tickets, plus sky TV didn't help, but those who were there were in excellent voice.

Seth, I apologise to you and everyone else for loling their low predictions.
    However, in explanation this was based on the fact that I assumed that they could not possibly be correct.
    On the 9th May, the day before the game, Charlton announced that -

"Home sales have already exceeded the number of Charlton fans that attended our last SE7 game against Blackburn Rovers and it is anticipated that tomorrow’s walk-up (those buying on the day/night) could be three times as many than for a regular league game."

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5af3644ced9f5/reduce-your-queuing-time-before-kick-off-on-thursday-by-purchasing-your-tickets-early-from-the-valley.

So even though it may have been weasel words, as it does say ticket home tickets SALES have exceeded, Charlton fans that ATTENDED the Blackburn game.
    There were allegedly 14,200 Charlton fans at the Blackburn game.
    Therefore, if all ticket holders v Blackburn attended it means we sold 366 home tickets on the last day.

If we sold 2/3,000 on the last day, they are then saying, there were 2/3,000 home fans that didn't attend v Blackburn, even though they had a ticket.

Whatever the situation it is clear that either

1 Charlton are deliberately spinning misleading information.

2 Have miscalculated.

Anyway, it doesn't matter.

FWIW I thought there were about 16,000 home fans there last night.
  • Options
    @Covered End the club doesn’t publish ‘attended’ figures so you’ve no idea if that was true or not.

It deliberately misleads though, that’s for sure
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Swisdom said:

That figure can't be right. North was packed, East was busier than normal. West Lower was ram-jam full.

Definitely a Diane Abbott count going on there

There was virtually no one in blocks H, G and F of the lower west. There were gaps in A. Appreciate it may not have seemed that way if you were sitting in the crowded bit. For the same reason I find it hard to call the east. Only the north was nearly fully, not including the quadrants. Upper west very sparse.
  • Options

The real tough test in matching them will come if we get to Wembley. When they have been to Wembley, the Diaspora crawls out from the woodwork. The ones who claim to be 'Wall but when you test them by asking who started at centre back last Saturday, will answer "er, I think Barry Kitchener". My Spanner mate, that I've just made up to validate the point I'm about to make, here in Prague is a perfect example. Been to Wembley twice but never to the New Toolbox. Doesn't even know why I call him a "Spanner".

A likely story.
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/timhennessy/

His agency had a new office opening bash last night. I made up an excuse. He's none the wiser about the real reason...
  • Options
    Family Quad (NE) was less busy than a normal Saturday game
  • Options
    I’m not sure how it’s possible to guess the attendance by watching it on TV ?
    The fact is , being there , it looked like18k if not more .
  • Options

I was not guessing the attendance however it is easier to "gauge" the attendance when the cameras pan around and show the stands. When you attend a match you get nowhere near the view of the seating that you do on TV and its neigh on impossible to gauge the empty seats of the stand you are sitting in.

Its neither here nor there is it, but as others have said who know more than I do 14k looked about right.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    anyone sitting in the north should be able to 'guess' the attendance better than most, given that we know it was basically full.

personally I thought it looked around the 17k mark
  • Options

quite easily, as you can see from a variety of different, clear, elevated angles and not just from the single perspective of your own seat. Which I know from experience can completely distort, particularly when you are sitting in the North and looking along the other stands rather than face on.

For example, @Swisdom sitting in the West thought the lower west was rammed when it reality the stand was half full. Similar the North was indeed very busy, but it was not full and clear empty bits could be seen in blocks A and B in the lower. The East probably had 2,200 - 2,700 in it. I've sat in the East before and thought it seemed fairly busy only to see a face on pic and realising it was less than 20% full.

My general rule is if something looks 3/4 full the reality is its probably 1/2 full. Its very difficult to spot empty seats in between people, and it becomes especially distorted when people are standing.
    You're the ultimate "glass is half full" guy!
  • Options

Whatever it was, it come across great and supportive on the telly. Well done all those there tonight who backed the team well. Even the West Upper were at it!

Would rather have 14k getting behind the team like that than 25k people who want to see Premier League football

Hmm. Well maybe watching on an illegal stream makes a difference, but I thought the crowd overall sounded a lot less supportive than against Plymouth and Rotherham. For sure I could hear the Covered End chanting all the way through but it sounded disconnected from the rest of the mainly silent crowd. Sorry, but that's how it sounded to me. Believe me I wanted it to be better, I was up for this, and the whole thing was a bit of an anti climax. Kicking the wrong way didn't help, as you said on the match thread.
    I think you need to find a better feed in future mate . The place was buzzing all night and the atmosphere was superb.
    100%, easily best atmosphere this year(Missed Blackburn). To be fair, considering some of our attendances this year, the volume of the support has not been bad.

• Options
    We had purchased our tickets beforehand but the queues at the turnstiles about ten minutes before KO at the Covered End were fairly large - wonder how many got in in time for KO.
  • Options

Thought it was poor.

As their average home gate is around 6,000 it was not a bad turnout. If they get to Wembley though I bet they will sell all their allocation a la Millwall !!

• Options
    If there were 14,000 in the ground last night the premiership can f@ck right off
  • Options
    And so can south eastern
  • Options
    se9addick said:

DA9 said:

For a small bunch they didn’t shut up all game and didn’t half throw a decent mental when they scored.

That was quite impressive
    Those Sweden flags though...
    Great flag.
  • Options

DA9 said:

Was told by a fella at Greenhithe station tonight, whose said his wife runs Valley gold that they had sold just under 20k

Seems an odd attendance figure, covered end almost full and east and west certainly busier than usual, Diane Abbott must have done the count

Well from what I could see on TV 14k looked about right. the south side of the west stand was nearly empty, and the north west quadrant looked like it does when there are 14k. When you get near 20k, that quadrant starts to get populated.

the odd attendance figure was the Blackburn one. Why would over 14,000 Charlton fans have pitched up for that one? ( the crowd was given as 17,300 with Blackburn selling out)

People on here reported yesterday that they could not buy East Stand tickets. It wasn't even 70% full, and some sections were closed, as JFC could tell you.
    Season tickets and complimentaries would have been counted for Blackburn presumably irrespective of attendance. Last night would theoretically be a more 'genuine' count.