Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Shrewsbury - Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    Shaded first half
    Didn't shade the second half
    Quite a few chances no luck. They had a chance and got luck- good goal
    It's half time
    Nick a goal up there and they will get jittery- all to play for
    Great support tonight- well done all able to go on Sunday- keep up the support like the last few games and we might just do it
  • Options
    That’s football, folks. Two evenly matched sides who struggled to create clear cut chances. They came with a game plan and they executed it perfectly. A sucker punch right at the end of the contest when there wasn’t much time to respond. But it is only half time and I saw enough to give me a glimmer of hope for Sunday. I would go 442 only bring is Fosu and Marshall for Reeves and mavididi. It ain’t over until the fat lady sings. We can still do it #COYA
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    HandG said:

Also, Magennis won pretty much every header tonight and although nothing came from them

Don’t half feel tonight that a lot of our fans like to slag off our players.

Personally think they’re an honest bunch who’ve put a good shift in in recent months and deserve a bit more respect / support. Some of the criticism seems well OTT to me

Your right they have done the last few months.

What people are frustrated about is where was that effort and desire tonight.

Tonight and Sunday are the biggest games in years and the players did not show any of there desire that we have seen in recent weeks.

Thats why fans are irate.

I was at the Rotherham game and it was like 2 different teams.
    How do you do a head in hands emoji?

No effort? No desire? Christ....

Shrewsbury played a brilliant tactical game as they have done all season hence them being third. The fine margins went our way at their place before but didn’t tonight. Fingers crossed they do on Sunday...
    Have a Star Trek gif instead :wink:
  • Options
    They were the better team today. Even in the first half I thought they looked sharper than us. They were winning most of the 50/59 balls all day.

Funnily enough. I think we’ll do better up there.
  • Options
    Best team won. They showed strength and tactical nous and were set up brilliantly to cope with whatever meagre threat we possessed. Sunday will be a different game entirely. We're not out of this.
  • Options
    Though he was nowhere near as bad as some suggest, but I’ll be interested in Bowyers thought process of moving reeves out wide. He’s been fantastic for Bowyer playing central, and it seemed a mismatch up against that giant.

As said in the match thread, Mavididi for me is an effective impact sub but not an effective 90 minuter unless he’s really on top of his game.

Ajose I like but just isn’t enough of a goal threat for me. I like 442 but we are just not getting him in enough like we did for his Pompey goal.

• Options
    Personally think Mavididi is better up front than out on the wing.
  • Options
    Started well, faded far too early for it to mean anything. Shrews won every header and realised that was a good way to get at us. After that for some reason our central midfield disappeared and they strolled through us. They didn't really have many clear cut chances though and scored a ridiculous goal to win it, so we're still not out of it. Our big issue is a lack of a real goalscorer and that really shone through today
  • Options
    What was so odd was that Reeves seemed to be playing central, yet Mavididi was hugging the touch line. It was allowing Shrewsbury to press our left side without any threat of the quick switch. Really weird and I doubt Bowyer wanted that
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We really are lightweight completely bullied. Mavididi and Reeves useless.

No punch upfront.

Pity we started like a house on fire but burnt out too early.
  • Options
    Appalling midfield tonight, embarrassing in fact completely absent and bullied all evening. Shite.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Utter let down again. Absolutely no width, Reeves always central, mavididi more intent on coming short for da Silva which slows everything down. Why didn’t he ever run into the channel for a ball?? We looked very leggy to me. We had no urgency, even in the 15-20 we were on top. Our centre midfield was bypassed in both defence and attack. How many times did they have a run at us from 30-40 yards without Forster caskey or Kashi In site? We had soooo much “pointless” possession down our left the first half which resulted in throws, yet Magennis still stayed on the right. Get it down the line and move up the pitch, enough of this stupid 2 yard throw straight back to the thrower who’s immeadiately under pressure.

Onto Shrewsbury. I honestly don’t think they were anything special. Yet done a job on us. Changing ends and From the 5th minute they time wasted, to Kill our momentum and atmosphere. It worked if you ask me. They were always gonna have a chance or two but just like the home game in February it took a very good goal to break the deadlock

We’ll have the false positivity for the next 3 days about it only being half time, but we need to seriously up our game if we want any chance of getting to Wembley. As it’s gonna be the same again Sunday with their clever tactics, another thing we lacked tonight. Lots of silly fouls in the wrong places.

I feel like yet again a HUGE chance to get to Wembley is passing us by.

Roll on Sunday....
  • Options
    We simply didn't turn up second half as a team. I'm struggling to remember Kashi actually being there 2nd half.

That said it was tight margins, we had a couple of similar shots to theirs, ours went just over theirs went in off the bar.

Reeves for me just doesn't cut it in these sort of games, i'd start Marshall and assuming he can start then Fosu for Mavididi who would make more impact late on.

I had a bad feeling as soon as I realised we were kicking the wrong way first half, when we d that it more often than not doesn't end well.

Postive for Sunday, common lads!!
  • Options

Though he was nowhere near as bad as some suggest, but I’ll be interested in Bowyers thought process of moving reeves out wide. He’s been fantastic for Bowyer playing central, and it seemed a mismatch up against that giant.

As said in the match thread, Mavididi for me is an effective impact sub but not an effective 90 minuter unless he’s really on top of his game.

Ajose I like but just isn’t enough of a goal threat for me. I like 442 but we are just not getting him in enough like we did for his Pompey goal.

Mav didn't want the ball, move into space, have a first touch, ability to cross and doesnt shoot.

Either he's been winging it for 4 years or he just doesn't want to be here putting a shift in.

Shit tonight.
  • Options
    Remind me of the result last time we played Shrewsbury away ? A repeat of that will do us. Chill. It’s not over.
  • Options
    Re Mavididi - I think Shrews were worried about his pace- they covered him well and when tackling him always took him out, getting the balk first so they weren't penalized for it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We are Charlton. We never do anything easy. Onwards to Shrewsbury we go..
  • Options
    Those who have watched him enough this season will know that Mavididi is a hell of a player on his day (and when used properly!)

Reeves has never really showed us that.
  • Options
    Bag of shite. Shrewsbury deserved it. Sunday's another day, so we're still in it.
  • Options

We really are lightweight completely bullied. Mavididi and Reeves useless.

No punch upfront.

Pity we started like a house on fire but burnt out too early.

Nailed it. We haven't had a striker all season and if you don't score you don't win football matches. Simples. Just can't see us getting much at their place but you never know.
  • Options
    Gives me the right hump when we lose.
  • Options

Re Mavididi - I think Shrews were worried about his pace- they covered him well and when tackling him always took him out, getting the balk first so they weren't penalized for it.

I'd like to agree with you, but I think he was too ready to go down. I never saw him last season but those on the match thread who did, said that he is a shadow of that player, physically. It may be that mentally he hasn't recovered from his injury. In which case, I am not sure he should have started in a game like this. But then if Fosu had been match fit, he would not have started anyway.
  • Options

why was marshall dropped? worked his socks off in the last few games

Bowyer had already said that he's treating the 2 semi-final games together.

Expect Marshall to start the away leg. That was probably always Bowyer's intention.

• Options
    edited May 2018

Don’t half feel tonight that a lot of our fans like to slag off our players.

Personally think they’re an honest bunch who’ve put a good shift in in recent months and deserve a bit more respect / support. Some of the criticism seems well OTT to me

And also:

Why do some people always highlight the 1 or 2 mistakes a player makes - but ignore the many more things he does right?

• Options
    Under the old system we use to have 1 isolated forward, now we've got 2..
    Until we learn how to push our 'great' defence and link up with some one touch football through the center we will remain at the mercy of luck/opposition errors/individual magic.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Pwr

A good team exposed some of the weaknesses in our team and squad depth. We miss an in form fit Solly and Page fit, plus rue the loss of Holmes, them and Bowyer as coach, and we’d be a much more complete team

Konsa limited going forward, altho did defend

Mav and JDS couldn’t get it going, the latter much better after Mav replaced, he shouldn’t start matches particulalry not on the wing, he’s an impact sub striker for me.

Reeves just didn’t rise to the occasion, does he want to be a championship player?

Fosu a cut above with a start might make all the difference in the second leg. Him and Marshall pls to supply the forwards.

One goal is all we need to get level (obviously) then it’s game on