Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Shrewsbury - Post Match Views

Comments

• Options

Charlton never turned up which is why I don't.

That’s the spirit.
  • Options
    PWR - Watched on TV, first half okish after a flying start, second half mainly poor. So we go there 1-0 down, however they have 2 choices, sit and defend 1-0 or attempt to come at us....strangely because we NEED to win I think we will play better and nick it 2-0 like last time....deflated tonight...but we have 90 minutes left, its only half time!! As for the Muir group being there..that for me is a silver lining!! COYR's
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Reeves played a really poor pass at the start of the second half and then ran into traffic a few minutes later. Consequently everyone is giving him 3 or whatever in Player Marks, even though he

- blocked a near-certain goal
    - did his man and put over a decent cross
    - put over another decent cross that Magennis almost got on the end of
    - played a few slick through-balls to Ajose and Mavididi
    - tackled back well
    - ran for the entire time he was on
    - came as close as anyone to scoring in the second half with a great instinctive snapshot
    - recycled possession pretty well

He just can't win. If anyone deserves your ire it's JFC and Kashi who gave it away for fun

I'm sorry but this is just so incorrect. I saw your player marks too saying JFC gave the ball away 40 times. If JFC gave the ball away 40 times then Reeves must have given it away 100+ times.

And the most infuriating bit is Reeves did the same against Blackburn.
  • Options

Leuth said:

Reeves played a really poor pass at the start of the second half and then ran into traffic a few minutes later. Consequently everyone is giving him 3 or whatever in Player Marks, even though he

- blocked a near-certain goal
    - did his man and put over a decent cross
    - put over another decent cross that Magennis almost got on the end of
    - played a few slick through-balls to Ajose and Mavididi
    - tackled back well
    - ran for the entire time he was on
    - came as close as anyone to scoring in the second half with a great instinctive snapshot
    - recycled possession pretty well

He just can't win. If anyone deserves your ire it's JFC and Kashi who gave it away for fun

I'm sorry but this is just so incorrect. I saw your player marks too saying JFC gave the ball away 40 times. If JFC gave the ball away 40 times then Reeves must have given it away 100+ times.

And the most infuriating bit is Reeves did the same against Blackburn.
    Reeves gave it away about three times in total. I know this because every time he did everyone broke out into booing
  • Options

Dasilva sloppy tonight. Gave the ball away when under no pressure a couple of times, beaten by their winger other times.

Genuinely don't see the hype.

He had a poor game tonight, defensively shaky and gave the ball away. In between though there were still some good runs out of defence but no real end product from them.

The passing in general was very poor though. We moved the ball too slowly, but also tried to force it too much. Credit has to partly go to them though, they got amongst us and broke up any rhythm we had. They did to us what we did to Blackburn.
  • Options

Dasilva sloppy tonight. Gave the ball away when under no pressure a couple of times, beaten by their winger other times.

Thought he was immense tbh

Thought he was immense tbh
    This! He was a class above some of the players out there at times and showed exactly why he deserved the poty
  • Options

Get rid of Reeves
    The difference tonight was that Nolan scored and played well and his opposite number Reeves was a waste of space

We have to take the risk and play Aribo on Sunday he gives us a lot more flexibility in midfield.
  • Options
    Better team won on the night. On Sunday Shrewsbury won’t know whether to stick or twist. It’s not over yet but goals are as has been all season a real problem.

Reeves was not good tonight. Was always available but either gave the ball away or was knocked off it. I would start Marshall ahead of him on Sunday. Fosu for Mavididi if he can last 90 mins.

Thought Shrews were half a yard quicker and without being over physical we’re more powerful than us.

Takeover looks done which in the scheme of things is more important.

Mountain to climb but mountains are climbed every day.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Oakster said:

Maybe LB should bring in some of the players that saw us through the 97/98 play-offs all those years ago - Sasa, Kinsella, Mendonca, Newts (if he isn't in prison), Rufus (see Newts), Hunt - tell them what it means to be Charlton and to make it to Wembley....

They did not lack desire tonight, they lacked quality and composure
    Well said- it wasn’t through lack of effort as some on here are saying. There was commitment there
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Don’t half feel tonight that a lot of our fans like to slag off our players.

Personally think they’re an honest bunch who’ve put a good shift in in recent months and deserve a bit more respect / support. Some of the criticism seems well OTT to me

Your right they have done the last few months.

What people are frustrated about is where was that effort and desire tonight.

Tonight and Sunday are the biggest games in years and the players did not show any of there desire that we have seen in recent weeks.

Thats why fans are irate.

I was at the Rotherham game and it was like 2 different teams.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    The desire was there @paulie8290 do you think the players didn't want to win the game? We just got schooled by their tactics.
  • Options
    I would play Aribo

Here's my team for Sunday

goalie/defence same as before

-------JFC - Reeves

Aribo - Zyro - Mavididi - Fosu

Why, you ask? Because then we have 6 players on the field who can fucking shoot
  • Options
    Well I didn't think it was that bad. Could easily have been 1-0 Charlton. What Shrewsbury are an absolute menace at is pack's of 3 or 4 quickly running into dangerous space when on the break and pulling the 2 defensive lines all over the place. The number 20 and number 7 in particular are superb. And that number 6 is a beast at the back and when up for corners.

Can't fault the effort of Charlton tonight. Hopefully they'll feel a bit less pressure up in Shrewsbury, nick an early goal and then another on the break.

The ball boys BTW were clearly told to leave post at 85 minutes. I took this as Bowyer wanting to stick at 0-1 and run the clock down.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Get rid of Reeves
    The difference tonight was that Nolan scored and played well and his opposite number Reeves was a waste of space

Give over mate. Reeves is not a winger, he has no pace and no strength and basic dribbling skills. He needs to be played through the middle where he has options to pass (something he can do very well) to players on either side of him.

Sorry, not having that. He's at least one level, probably two, below the 3rd Division. Look at him overall throughout the entirety of the season. He isn't really that good at all, honestly. Too lightweight, wants too much time on the ball when he's not good enough to dictate the play, and goes missing when it gets a bit tough.
    Clearly Robinson had a 'thing' for him and that's why he brought him in. But seriously, he's just not very good.
    Calling Reeves a Conference player is about the most ludicrous call on a post-match thread I can remember
    Really? This may help mate: https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/healthy-aging/in-depth/memory-loss/art-20046518

All about opinions my friend, that's all.
    But let's face up to the reality of facts. Since he's been there, he's had about as much influence on the team/games as Alexander Haig had in trying to avert the Falklands War!
  • Options
    I think what you can draw from this thread is that they pretty much all gave it away - Mav and DaSilva ran down blind alleys, JFC and Kashi constantly under hit or misdirected passes, Reeves got caught in possession, Mag kept flicking on to noone. Ajose didn't get the ball much but lost it when he did. Fosu and Aribo never really got in the game and got crowded out when they got on the ball.

Did they all suddenly lose control of the most basic of skills? Or did Shrewsbury do a job on us? More the latter than the former for my money.
  • Options
    Horrible game to watch. Please rescue us
  • Options
    What was the point in bringing Zyro on in the 90th minute as well.

As soon as they scored
    Kashi should.have gone off for Zyro and gone 4-2-1-3

-------JFC Aribo--------
    -----------Fosu----------
    Magennis Zyro Ajose
  • Options
    Mavididi
    Honestly, what can he do?
  • Options

What was the point in bringing Zyro on in the 90th minute as well.

As soon as they scored
    Kashi should.have gone off for Zyro and gone 4-2-1-3

-------JFC Aribo--------
    -----------Fosu----------
    Magennis Zyro Ajose

Add height for one last set piece.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    In Mavididis defence he was double/triple marked all game
    A championship club will come in for Hurst, he’s played us like a fiddle twice at the Valley
  • Options
    Started well and should have taken one of our chances. They are a decent team very well organised and physically strong thought we looked generally lightweight against them. Kashi and JFC looked out of sorts and Reeves was anonymous. Difference was they took one of their few chances and we didn't which seems to be our biggest problem. Overall could not fault the effort but they have been in form for most of the season. Not over but massive performances from everyone needed now..
  • Options
    PWR.

Very disappointing result, but in my view Shrewsbury thoroughly deserved it. In the second half they bossed it and scored an excellent goal, and through the match we didn't have the firepower, the reasons for that we needn't go into. However Magennis and Ajose didn't buy us respite either, as well as being toothless.
    I am well aware there have been other (fantastic) things going on this evening, but as for the football in many ways despite my bias, the result was a reflection of the overall season both teams have had. They were third for a reason we scraped sixth for a reason, and although it is gutting to take it, and I am also trying to convince myself that 'it is only half time' and all that, I wonder how we can manufacture a response on sunday. Shrewsbury basically only need to be the Shrewsbury of the whole season to win this tie now, we have to produce the totally unexpected.
    We looked a bit better after Fosu came on, and I am not going to be harsh on our players, indeed JFC was once again excellent, as was Amos Pearce and Bauer, but as a team Shrewsbury were superior.
    Had a nice chat with the very decent Shrewsbury CEO before the game, without going into detail he wasn't especially impressed with what he knows of Robinson or Meire.
    The final fundamental and obvious reason we lost was we were kicking the wrong way, a clever and correct call by Shrewsbury who chose ends.

It is all about prayer and hope now.
  • Options
    Had to settle to following on BBC sport text. Trying to remain positive, scoring goals are a big problems, but hopefully we can play like we did in the first 10 mins on Sunday and get an early goal.

At least the maths is very simple, we must win on Sunday. Overall, the table showed that they are a much better team than us throughout the season.

Sunday could be one of those special nights that we talk about for years to come.
  • Options
    The Shrews were the better side. After the first 10 mins they began controlling things and were on top for the majority of the second half. Too many long hopeful balls from our boys tonight. Not out of it but need to change our game plan...
  • Options

Whatever happens, keep Bowyer and Jacko. If we keep this form going over a season with improvements over the summer we'll go up automatically. Weaker division next year too. That said, roll on Sunday.

Yeh. I'll go for that.
  • Options
    Whack Da Silva further up, and plant the ball to his and Fosu's feet in the second leg. Shrewsbury are the type of team who will win the play-offs as they won't give you a yard - we need to dance around them. No use playing ball to feet with our backs to them, nor in the air.

We deserved no more than we got really, a fantastic finish sealed it. A shame.
  • Options
    Better team won.

Started like a house on fire but then they contained us and gave us no room to play.

Kashi wasnt at his usual level, Reeves was.

Mavididi for Marshall seems an even odder decision in hindsight.

Hope Fosu is fit enough to start on Sunday. We missed him.

Great noise from the fans but players win games, not crowds.

We'll take it to extra time. Then who knows?