Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Shrewsbury - Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    Lee Bowyer was right to highlight the importance of playing as a team before the - unfortunately the performance of a team that had played together for 40 plus games against one that had played together for only 10 illustrated how right he was. Playing against the curse of Sky and Gobby was just too much tonight - praying for some magic on Sunday.
  • Options

Dasilva sloppy tonight. Gave the ball away when under no pressure a couple of times, beaten by their winger other times.

Genuinely don't see the hype.

He has the best touch in League One and decent tonight - but keep doubling down on your 'Page is better' opinion
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    All this about fans not giving Shrews enough respect. I don't really see that. Their own manager said they were the underdogs, clearly a strategy to encourage us to underestimate them. It is possible our team didn't show enough respect which would explain the great start and then the shutting down and loss of confidence when we found their defence too strong for us.

Obvs we would all take the chance offered to Charlton, but Shrew deserve to go up on their season-long form. They have enough points to send them well clear of the pack in 3rd and we're just lucky beneficiaries of the EFLs desperate attempt to monetize every aspect of the game.

• Options

Dasilva sloppy tonight. Gave the ball away when under no pressure a couple of times, beaten by their winger other times.

Thought he was immense tbh
    Wish I had the replay to hand to point out the errors he made. He was our weakest link at the back tonight.
  • Options

Charlton never turned up which is why I don't.

Zzzzz.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Leuth said:

He has the best touch in League One and decent tonight - but keep doubling down on your 'Page is better' opinion
    Remember when he lumped it across the field to no-one and it rolled out of play into the dugout? Then he did the same thing again 10 minutes later. It was a bit weaker the second time so Konsa was able to run back 15 yards and collect the ball before it rolled out of play again.

What about when the ball sailed over his head and into the feet of Whalley who then had a free run at goal? Poor positioning or just not tall enough?

He's flashy going forward so play him as a left midfielder, if at all.
  • Options

Get rid of Reeves
    The difference tonight was that Nolan scored and played well and his opposite number Reeves was a waste of space

Give over mate. Reeves is not a winger, he has no pace and no strength and basic dribbling skills. He needs to be played through the middle where he has options to pass (something he can do very well) to players on either side of him.

But he's not strong enough to play in the middle in a 4-4-2 so if he's not good enough as a winger then we're restricted to either 4-2-3-1 or 4-1-2-1-2 diamond when he plays.
    But being a play maker in the middle of the park is not about strength. I know this is a somewhat stretch of a point, but your Silva's, Eriksens, or let's be a bit more comparable and say a Will Hughes (because they look similar) are effective at where they play because

A: they can pass the ball, and
    B: they have players around them who make decent runs to receive the ball.

I obviously might be wrong, but I'm a full believer that Reeves is a very good passer of the ball and given the opportunity to play through the middle of the park with two strikers and some movement in front of him he could perform well.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Get rid of Reeves
    The difference tonight was that Nolan scored and played well and his opposite number Reeves was a waste of space

Give over mate. Reeves is not a winger, he has no pace and no strength and basic dribbling skills. He needs to be played through the middle where he has options to pass (something he can do very well) to players on either side of him.

Sorry, not having that. He's at least one level, probably two, below the 3rd Division. Look at him overall throughout the entirety of the season. He isn't really that good at all, honestly. Too lightweight, wants too much time on the ball when he's not good enough to dictate the play, and goes missing when it gets a bit tough.
    Clearly Robinson had a 'thing' for him and that's why he brought him in. But seriously, he's just not very good.
  • Options
    We had the game for first 15, other than that we had no idea. Their plan to slow down and frustrated worked and then they bossed second half and deserved the win.
    They are not too good to be beaten but we need to be commited and believe in ourselves. We are not better than them but can beat them over 90 minutes. Cannot turn up and think we will walk it. Bowyer and Jackie need to lift them
  • Options
    I’d like to see Ajose and Zyro up front on Sunday. Why can’t we get the ball down and actually play some proper football in the final third? All of Ajose’s runs were wasted tonight and I’m sick of seeing Magennis just throwing his weight around. Mav ended on his arse most of the time and Reeves can do nothing about the power Shrewsbury have in midfield. Thought our central defence were really good and kept us in it. Kashi needs to have a word with himself - for someone who lit up the championship when he arrived, he seems to have regressed.
    However, got high hopes for the away leg and trust Bowyer will set us up better.
  • Options
    Agree with most of the above. We huffed and puffed but it’s hard to see how we’ll break them down on Sunday.

Would bring in Fosu and Aribo for Reeves and Kashi and contemplate Marshall for Afjose as despite all the clamour for 4-4-2 he’s been anonymous in the two games I’ve seen (Blackburn & tonight)
  • Options

Had a good first half. Like the rest of them, poor second half but had no support.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The least said about Kashi the better.

Until he gave away a free kick I forgot he was on the pitch, after he gave the free kick away I forgot he was on the pitch.

His 1 and only contribution to that game was giving away a free kick
  • Options

Was it him that tried that cross field pass to nobody I our own half that went out for their throw? Too many times our midfield treated the ball like a hot spud when a bit of composure was needed. It’s not over until it’s over but by jingo we are always junk on TV ( or maybe we just look worse when on the box ).
  • Options

4-4-2, Amos, Dijksteel, Bauer, Pearce, Dasilva, Marshall, Aribo, JFC, Fosu, Zyro, Magennis.

Agree - but apart from Zyro, we need players to put a shift in on Sunday..... he hasn’t got that in his locker
  • Options

The least said about Kashi the better.

Until he gave away a free kick I forgot he was on the pitch, after he gave the free kick away I forgot he was on the pitch.

His 1 and only contribution to that game was giving away a free kick

He gave away about 5 to be fair.
  • Options
    The Da Silva crossfield pass came about because Konsa had literally half the field to himself. It was executed poorly as he got closed down but if he'd hit it properly Konsa was away
  • Options
    Davo55 said:

Watching on sky,thought Reeves and Mavididi were both too wasteful and would drfinitely bring marshall and fosu into the 11 on sunday

Agree.

Plus Djiksteel in for Konsa, and maybe Zyro for Ajose. Lets have two big fellas sorting out that tough Shrews centre back pairing.
    Zyro was poor against physical teams in MK Wimbledon and Rochdale. I wouldn’t have him anywhere near the starting line up for the return leg.

As others have said, all to play for on Sunday and could be a real memorable day for those in attendance.
  • Options

Don’t half feel tonight that a lot of our fans like to slag off our players.

Personally think they’re an honest bunch who’ve put a good shift in in recent months and deserve a bit more respect / support. Some of the criticism seems well OTT to me

THANK YOU