Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Who can make the step up?

2»

Comments

• _MrDick said:

I hate threads like this ... counting our chickens before they've hatched

I created this thread out of curiousity to see if people had the same opinion with regards to our squad

i.e. More so if we were to go up to the Championship today would we cope with our squad - Definitely not counting my chickens before they've been hatched as there is no guarantee that we will go up this season
  • If Vetokele is a Charlton player on loan until the end of the season - hasn't his loan ended?

• I'd say yes... Prior to Peeters joining we still had the nucleous of our League One winning team (bar BWP | Kermorgant | Stephens) - The current squad is a lot weaker and would probably get battered by that team we had back then, not to mention they're playing in a weaker League One than the one we won in my opinion
    Taylor, Court, Hamer, Hollands, Hughes and Haynes had already gone hadn't they?

Wiggins, Solly and Jackson for different reasons weren't the same players they were 2 years previous.

Iirc we ended the season with no senior keeper, 1 center half, 1 midfielder and a winger plus Simon Church!!
  • It's obviously very difficult to say, but of the players that have contracts beyond this summer I'm not sure anyone other than Fosu and maybe Clarke (who we obviously haven't seen much of) could step up and play to a decent level on a regular basis.

I love Pearce but worry that his pace would let him down and be a constant liability for us against Championship strikers. I'm not sure Bauer has the technical ability for that level and he's been caught out a few times when Pearce hasn't been playing alongside him.
  • If Vetokele is a Charlton player on loan until the end of the season - hasn't his loan ended?

I don't believe the season has ended in Belgium.

Also I believe the loan would have an end date rather than end of season, probably something like 31st May or 30th June.

But if I am wrong, imagine the story of Igor scoring the winner in the play off final!
  • Can Make The Step Up
    Amos
    Pearce
    Bauer
    JDS
    Konsa
    JFC
    Fosu
    Kashi

Can't
    Sarr
    Lennon
    Solly (Not on this seasons showings)
    Reeves
    Magennis
    Ajose
    Marshall
    Mavididi
    Kaikai

Squad Players that could make the step up
    Aribo
    Dijksteel
    Page
  • Billy Clarke has played the last 6 seasons in L1 (with one season in L2) and is 30 now. I wouldn't be that confident he could be a starter at Championship level now.
  • Can Make The Step Up
    Amos
    Pearce
    Bauer
    JDS
    Konsa
    JFC
    Fosu
    Kashi

Can't
    Sarr
    Lennon
    Reeves
    Magennis
    Ajose
    Marshall
    Mavididi
    Kaikai

Aribo
    Dijksteel
    Page

I do think we would have to be realistic though. As with yours it would mean about 14 new players, and that's with Kashi and Konsa both staying.
  • We should already be in contact with next season's targets but thanks to both buyers and Roland not pulling their finger out and sealing the deal we're not.

Shame.
  • Can Make The Step Up
    Amos
    Pearce
    Bauer
    JDS
    Konsa
    JFC
    Fosu
    Kashi

Can't
    Sarr
    Lennon
    Reeves
    Magennis
    Ajose
    Marshall
    Mavididi
    Kaikai

Aribo
    Dijksteel
    Page

I do think we would have to be realistic though. As with yours it would mean about 14 new players, and that's with Kashi and Konsa both staying.
    Oh i agree, I think a lot of those players would play should we be promoted, i just don't think they're good enough
  • Sponsored links:

• We don’t know yet what division we’re going to be in, who the manager is going to be, and who will be owning the club, it’s virtually impossible to answer this question at the moment.
  • I haven't read all the posts so I may be repeating what others have said, but I would say that we need the following:

1) A first choice RB - Solly was not the player he once was earlier this season so hard to think he'll be better in a higher division.

2) A creative midfielder.

3) 2 decent strikers who can score 30 goals between them. Ajose/Magennis/KAG will be ok for 15/20 mins off the bench/fillers but we will be cannon fodder if we can't score.

I think Aribo, Clarke, Konsa, Pearce, Bauer & Page are good enough for the Championship and I think Dijksteel has a future but not sure what position. marshall & reeves have been let downs this season but I doubt if we'll have much money for wholesale changes to the squad, so if funds are limited then the above 4 players plus a goalkeeper (Amos preferably)
  • Can Make The Step Up
    Amos
    Pearce
    Bauer
    JDS
    Konsa
    JFC
    Fosu
    Kashi

Can't
    Sarr
    Lennon
    Reeves
    Magennis
    Ajose
    Marshall
    Mavididi
    Kaikai

Aribo
    Dijksteel
    Page

Oh i agree, I think a lot of those players would play should we be promoted, i just don't think they're good enough
    yeah agreed, shouldn't hurt too much to have a lot of that players as cover though.

Completely agree that none of those players should be starting more than 10 games though.
  • addick05 said:

Dijksteel is good enough for the Championship, he just needs more games to build his confidence.
    Quality player.

Kashi is more than good enough - but does he want it ?

Konsa is going to be like Cousins, will always step up to the challenge even if he is a bit short on skill.

Magennis is not even good enough for L1, nor is Zyro or Ajose.

Bauer still has it to prove at that level.

Pearce fell a bit short when he went up with Wigan (I think), but that was a while ago.

Clarke is great for L1 - not sure about a step up, same goes for Marshall

Page, Reeves and Aribo could struggle

Fosu and JFC would adapt, but JFC couldn't get into a good Brighton side up there.

Amos and Dasilva would be fine, but Solly probably not.

Mavididi needs to adapt his play to a team game - he is far too individual, like a lot of younger players nowadays tring to prove themselves. He should spend some time with Clarke and see how he positions himself to develop play for others.

Mavididi (as far as I'm aware) is an Arsenal player on loan and Da Silva likewise from Chelsea, so doubt they'll be here next season whatever division we are in.

We said that about Mavididi last season.
    Neither are good enough to play for their parent clubs.
  • Amos - First Choice
    Solly - If back to his normal self
    Bauer
    Pearce
    Page - Will do, would like JDS on perm
    New Winger needed
    JFC
    Kashi
    Fosu
    New Striker

Clarke, Magennis, Marshall, Konsa, Djik, Aribo, Ajose, Reeves I would say are all good enough to be around the squad, the rest I'm not too concerned about.

Ideal signings for next season would be a striker, would love Pitman or Marriott, flashy winger type, Carey will do, Oztumer would be a good addition and then a new right back to back up or replace Solly. Maybe even a new centre mid.

If we go up and have a squad like that we will have a decent season imo
  • Ricky Holmes has struggled to make the step up so on that basis i'm not sure many of our squad could.

However you only need to look at the likes of Millwall and Sheffield utd finishing in the top half, and Bolton staying up without spending anything to show it can be done. It's not just about the quality of your players but also the tactics, squad morale and their desire to play for the shirt.
  • Most of our team are League One as that is their level IMO. Only Amos, DaSilva and Fosu would definitely be up to it IMO. Konsa probably ok, Solly if he recovered to precious heights. Dijsteel and Aribo have a chance.

All the others look like squad fillers rather than starters. If we were lucky enough to go up we would need serious cash investment.

Goalkeepers:
    Amos with Phillips to go on loan.

Defenders:
    Konsa - as utility across defence and mid
    DaSilva
    Pearce - 3rd choice
    Bauer- 4th choice
    Solly as cover if not fully recovered and as first choice if he has
    Page - no idea.

Midfielders:
    Fosu
    Forster-Caskey for the squad
    Aribo for the squad
    Clarke for squad
    Dijksteel for the squad

Forwards:
    Magennis for the squad
    Ahearne-Grant for squad

• How big is this step and how many chances do I get?
  • Dijksteel is good enough for the Championship, he just needs more games to build his confidence.
    Quality player.

Kashi is more than good enough - but does he want it ?

Konsa is going to be like Cousins, will always step up to the challenge even if he is a bit short on skill.

Magennis is not even good enough for L1, nor is Zyro or Ajose.

Bauer still has it to prove at that level.

Pearce fell a bit short when he went up with Wigan (I think), but that was a while ago.

Clarke is great for L1 - not sure about a step up, same goes for Marshall

Page, Reeves and Aribo could struggle

Fosu and JFC would adapt, but JFC couldn't get into a good Brighton side up there.

Amos and Dasilva would be fine, but Solly probably not.

Mavididi needs to adapt his play to a team game - he is far too individual, like a lot of younger players nowadays tring to prove themselves. He should spend some time with Clarke and see how he positions himself to develop play for others.

Again, pretty well agree 100% but Page is imho good enough. I think he tops the players ratings stats here. Tbh, I'd pick him over Jay for his defensive ability and his height. Good pair of left backs to have though.
    Of course, as in any position, if we can bring in better, then great.
  • edited May 2018
    Ben Amos
    Jay Dasilva
    Lewis Page
    Patrick Bauer
    Ezri Konsa ?
    Anfernee Dijksteel
    Tariqe Fosu-Henry
    Jake Forster-Caskey
    Ahmed Kashi
    Joe Aribo
    Billy Clarke
    Nicky Ajose - But only if our mid-field can supply him with chances
    Igor Vetokele if he's still on our books
    Mag ?

Dillon Phillips - No idea.

All the rest, no.
  • Sponsored links:

• I don't agree that Bauer and Pearce can't step up.

Pearce has played plenty of games in the Championship, and adds priceless experience and leadership which we need with quite a lot of younger players in our team.
    Bauer was signed by us as a Championship player, and while he wasn't perfect in his first season, a lot was down to the it being the first season in England and having a lack of experience alongside him. He's definitely matured since then.

I'm not saying they will be the best defenders in the league, but unless we have vast sums to spend, that's not where I'd be investing the transfer budget, especially as they form an excellent partnership, something we've been lacking in recent years
  • Assuming Amos stays, I would say he can do a job. After that, DaSilva (were he to come back). Possibly Dijksteel (just don’t know). Jury’s still out for me on Konsa and whether or not he will go on to have a career in the higher leagues (I’ve seen little to say he wouldn’t, it’s just too early to tell for me).

Personally I think Bauer and Pearce are at their level in league one

Aribo - yes
    Kashi - yes
    JFC - maybe
    Fosu - yes

Clarke - just don’t know

Marshall - no
    Page - unsure
    Solly - not anymore unfortunately
    Lennon - no
    Sarr - no
    Magennis - no
    Ajose - no
    Reeves - no

So basically, assuming the loanees don’t stay

GK

Dijksteel Konsa CB LB

Fosu Kashi Aribo LW

CF CF
  • Bauer is a championship level defender. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a lunatic.

Sorry @crumbles
  • Most of our team are League One as that is their level IMO. Only Amos, DaSilva and Fosu would definitely be up to it IMO. Konsa probably ok, Solly if he recovered to precious heights. Dijsteel and Aribo have a chance.

All the others look like squad fillers rather than starters. If we were lucky enough to go up we would need serious cash investment.

Goalkeepers:
    Amos with Phillips to go on loan.

Defenders:
    Konsa - as utility across defence and mid
    DaSilva
    Pearce - 3rd choice
    Bauer- 4th choice
    Solly as cover if not fully recovered and as first choice if he has
    Page - no idea.

Midfielders:
    Fosu
    Forster-Caskey for the squad
    Aribo for the squad
    Clarke for squad
    Dijksteel for the squad

Forwards:
    Magennis for the squad
    Ahearne-Grant for squad

Is that 5ft 3?
  • Bauer is a championship level defender. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a lunatic.

Sorry @crumbles

I can’t see it myself. I think he’s good, but I didn’t notice anyone looking at him when we went down 2 years ago.

Perhaps he was too young then and now he’s coming into his peak, but I’m just not convinced
  • that's my only issue with promotion is that with our current squad i would expect us to be in a relegation scrap at best, if we don't go up i would like to see roland sell, bowyer given the job full time and some proper backing, amos id love to see signed on a permanent as i think hes a very good keeper.

and us to smash the league next year in a powellesque manner.

Agree, might just be better off staying in L1 for another season....UNLESS.....we win the PO's, Roland then sells, we get new owners who invest in the squad and we then become competitive enough to at least make a fist of staying in the Championship.
  • that's my only issue with promotion is that with our current squad i would expect us to be in a relegation scrap at best, if we don't go up i would like to see roland sell, bowyer given the job full time and some proper backing, amos id love to see signed on a permanent as i think hes a very good keeper.

and us to smash the league next year in a powellesque manner.

Agree, might just be better off staying in L1 for another season....UNLESS.....we win the PO's, Roland then sells, we get new owners who invest in the squad and we then become competitive enough to at least make a fist of staying in the Championship.
    thats the million dollar question will he sell or just reap the benefits of being a championship club for a season.