Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Another Shooting in LONDON

Comments

• McBobbin said:

Do the kids even think about the consequences of being caught though? Not sure they do

They just don't fear the punishment as it is all too often heavily reduced.
  • Pringle said:

How about anyone convicted of gang violence to be made to serve in the army, in a new regiment set up just to straighten out these types. If prisons aren't the answer, maybe something like that could be.

Not entirely convinced the army will be up for this! Then there's the problem of what happens when they leave - ex military have higher incidence of homelessness etc than the general population... Interested in what effect it will have on gang members
  • Dazzler21 said:

McBobbin said:

Do the kids even think about the consequences of being caught though? Not sure they do

They just don't fear the punishment as it is all too often heavily reduced.
    Possibly, though they may also think that prison is better than being stabbed to death themselves
  • edited May 2018

Danny Pearce who I knew through friends was fatally stabbed last year for his phone and watch. He was a local lad, like me. He went out drinking with friends in Greenwich, like me. He was minding his own business, like me. Now he’s dead because of scummy little rats riding around robbing people, so nobody has any right to tell people how they feel on our streets.

this exactly all for wearing a nice watch that some low life was jealous over cos there a "gangbanger", funny how they don't fancy it when there's a group of you. in this world now you have something nice your afraid to wear/use it or someone will rob it.

the killers of which are still not caught - but lets worry about upsetting people over stop and search.
  • Pringle said:

How about anyone convicted of gang violence to be made to serve in the army, in a new regiment set up just to straighten out these types. If prisons aren't the answer, maybe something like that could be.

Good idea.
  • I think we should have a real life “the running man” for gang related convictions
  • Chizz said:

Pringle said:

Good idea.
    I dont think it should be the Armed Forces responsibility. Unless this new unit is "like" the army, but has no direct link to it and is just a boot camp style set up.
  • .....most of these people wouldn't last 5 minutes in the British Army, specially when the enemy start firing back
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2018

I think we should have a real life “the running man” for gang related convictions

I was thinking that the hunger games might be more appropriate but I'd be prepared to give the running man a go. The two shows could go head to head on Saturday night like Strictly and the X Factor.
  • Danny Pearce who I knew through friends was fatally stabbed last year for his phone and watch. He was a local lad, like me. He went out drinking with friends in Greenwich, like me. He was minding his own business, like me. Now he’s dead because of scummy little rats riding around robbing people, so nobody has any right to tell people how they feel on our streets.

Danny's death was one of the things that started how I feel now about London. I was in Danny's year at school and was in the bar that he was drinking in a month or so earlier, I was fairly merry that night and made that same walk that he made, only he didn't make it to the end of the road.

Wife now worries about me whenever I go out for a beer.

The police charged one person for it was the last I heard.
  • Can’t let these bastards win though, although I would think twice about bringing kids up in schools local to me ( bexleyheath )
  • Lurker said:

Danny Pearce who I knew through friends was fatally stabbed last year for his phone and watch. He was a local lad, like me. He went out drinking with friends in Greenwich, like me. He was minding his own business, like me. Now he’s dead because of scummy little rats riding around robbing people, so nobody has any right to tell people how they feel on our streets.

Danny's death was one of the things that started how I feel now about London. I was in Danny's year at school and was in the bar that he was drinking in a month or so earlier, I was fairly merry that night and made that same walk that he made, only he didn't make it to the end of the road.

Wife now worries about me whenever I go out for a beer.

The police charged one person for it was the last I heard.
    Charged a 25 year old for he’s murder. Theses aren’t even kids ffs, 25 year olds robbing people on mopeds, it’s frightening.
  • Chizz said:

Pringle said:

Good idea.
    I have a couple of mates in the Army, and whenever thing like this surface they always say, 'why should we get them'?
    If you want to employ the army to help, form them into snatch squads and anyone who is a gang member gets picked up and is shot, I reckon within a month it would get sorted. Good training for the army as well....see, a win win....vote for me.
  • And before people say it’s a safer place to live via figures, in 2015 Met Police logged 4647 of these types of crimes. Last year it went to 16,158.
  • And before people say it’s a safer place to live via figures, in 2015 Met Police logged 4647 of these types of crimes. Last year it went to 16,158.

Bloody hell! And I bet theres a fair few that go unreported.
  • edited May 2018
    Leuth said:

I kind of want to leave London at some point but that's owing to a love of nature rather than anything else.

Anyone leaving London because it's unsafe doesn't know they're born tbh

Moved to Auckland 9 months ago for work not because London wasn’t safe, although we did worry about bringing our kids up there.

The change over her is mad. People generally leave their front doors open all day. If the kids take their bikes to the local shops or to school, they don’t bother looking them.

I bloody love London but when you got a family, seeing how they live overseas does make you think

• edited May 2018
    Something has to be done and within that a number of things. Punishment needs to be looked at especially for those at the head of the gangs, but also alternatives and programmes to stop people joining these gangs. Importantly we can't shy away from more Police, including community police.
  • Is it public knowledge that the shot 17 year-old "promising architect and part-time rapper" who was a "good boy" according to his mum was actually on a 7pm curfew and wearing a tag...

There's always a story that doesn't get reported and i'm not sure who it serves to keep that from the public knowledge.

It's sad now that some youngsters see publicity of these things as a badge of honour without realising the consequences of their actions. I have no idea how to get through to these idiots and just wish it could be kept to those involved in gangs and no innocent people get hurt but sadly guns don't discriminate.
  • Sponsored links:

• rananegra said:

rananegra said:

It's tragic. It needs to be stamped out and I say that as someone who does think the police are institutionally racist.

TBH I don't recognise the London I live in from some of the posts above. I worry about my kids going places, but they are both sensible and know to avoid trouble. They both get a lot out of living in London that just wouldn't happen in the suburbs or a country town.

To solve the problem? We need to decriminalise drugs. End prohibition. Of course the gangs will move onto something else, but it won't be anywhere as lucrative.

Use the revenue raised from drugs taxes to fund youth services and things to divert teenager's energies.

Why on earth do you think that today's Police Force - not the one of 20 years ago-
    is institutionally racist?

Coppers I know were all brought up in very diverse areas and don't, as far as I know, have a racist bone in their body. On the contrary, they just want to help everyone irrespective of colour or creed.
    The police have got better over the last 20 years, for sure, and of course there are a lot more individual coppers without a racist bone in their body than in the past. But this isn't about individual cops, institutional racism is about the police as an institution. And if we ask ourselves, do the police as an institution respond differently to different racial groups, the answer is clearly yes. Imagine how many more resources would be put into this if it was mainly white kids being killed.

I'm not suggesting it's easy for the Met - they are damned if they do and damned if they don't on this one. And we as a society are not serious about prohibition of drugs: they're easy to get (it's easier for teenagers to get weed than alcohol), a large swathe of society take them and the law sends out mixed messages about whether it is criminal or not.
    I've asked meself and I couldn't disagree with it more. In fact, it's because the ob are trying to be so unracist, that the problem is as bad as it is imo. A bit like the grooming gangs, they attempted to sweep the problem under the carpet for similar reasons, hoping it will go away, but it didn't and it won't.

Imo - everyone needs to accept that, to tackle the problem, short term, the copper on the street needs to be backed up when he or she decides to stop people and search them. And, as I said before, no matter what colour one is, if one is serious about working towards stopping this problem, short term, one has to accept they might get a tug from the police from time to time.

We can argue about the root cause of the problem until we're blue in the face, but that won't save lives, short term imo
    I'm sure they won't mind that.
  • Leuth said:

I kind of want to leave London at some point but that's owing to a love of nature rather than anything else.

Wait til you've got kids and you have to think of the safety of others.
  • Leuth said:

Fair enough. I think that there are many far worse dangers facing kids than knives or guns, especially if they're not black and male, but I can see how the widespread* nature of gang culture might be unsettling.

*I don't know how widespread it is, or how many people it affects, tbh - I would have thought that bringing a kid up to be streetwise and avoidant of danger would basically diminish the risk, but you do get the occasional violent robbery, as above. My issue with this argument is that mugging has surely always been a thing - and often in much greater quantities than now. Would you blithely walk around Hackney with earphones in thirty years ago? Because I certainly would now
  • I doubt you hear the word “blithely” used very often in Hackney
  • These days, everything's totally fucking mexico
  • This is an observation rather than a constructive point but it is something that has always baffled me.

These thugs, gang members and muggers all think of themselves as “hard” yet as far as someone like me is concerned I can’t think of anything more cowardly than mugging someone at the point of a blade, or intimidating someone when you are mob handed.

Perhaps the term coward and cowardly should be used more in relation to these scum or are they so devoid of any decency for it not to matter that they are viewed as cowards.
  • This is an observation rather than a constructive point but it is something that has always baffled me.

These thugs, gang members and muggers all think of themselves as “hard” yet as far as someone like me is concerned I can’t think of anything more cowardly than mugging someone at the point of a blade, or intimidating someone when you are mob handed.

Perhaps the term coward and cowardly should be used more in relation to these scum or are they so devoid of any decency for it not to matter that they are viewed as cowards.

Watching a BBC London news report into this, they had interviews with the muggers (all wearing scary masks). Basically they dont give a fuck. Women, Children, anyone they can nock phones off, send them back to Nigeria and get £50-£200 for them at a time.

Watching a BBC London news report into this, they had interviews with the muggers (all wearing scary masks). Basically they dont give a fuck. Women, Children, anyone they can nock phones off, send them back to Nigeria and get £50-£200 for them at a time.
    The BBC London programme you are referring to.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p05x9kfp/inside-britains-moped-crime-gangs
  • Its the parents abdication of responsibility and in vast % numbers their presence in the kids lives thats the issue

i posted a few years ago of the struggles i had whilst coaching a youth football team to keep the boys in check and the biggest challenge came from a team called RapAid who constantly tapped up the black kids in the team and their guardians (i refuse to call some of them parents) and told me i was a negative influence who didn't understand their culture and the significance of allowing them to talk like a wanna be rapper and wear their trousers around their arses

For the record two of the boys who left are attending a local authority Unit for schooling the 2 that stayed are completing their A levels in a local college they both had no father influence and they and their parent thank me for the effort i put in

The most talented one of all who unfortunately got injured whilst at Chelsea and then again at CAFC i last saw at the end of my road with a gang of lads , he walked away from them to come and say hi and changed his accent when doing so is now missing and has been on the missing kids twitter feed

his mum admits he is lost to the street and shows no regard for returning home

• Leuth said:

Leuth said:

Fair enough. I think that there are many far worse dangers facing kids than knives or guns, especially if they're not black and male, but I can see how the widespread* nature of gang culture might be unsettling.

*I don't know how widespread it is, or how many people it affects, tbh - I would have thought that bringing a kid up to be streetwise and avoidant of danger would basically diminish the risk, but you do get the occasional violent robbery, as above. My issue with this argument is that mugging has surely always been a thing - and often in much greater quantities than now. Would you blithely walk around Hackney with earphones in thirty years ago? Because I certainly would now
    Mugging has always been a thing but I doubt to this extent, surely back in the 70's, 80's and 90's knives weren't as commonly used? I was mugged at knifepoint when I was 16, but I don't remember actually fearing for my life during it, I thought it was just for show (I was a mess as soon as it was over though).

It feels different now, as if stabbing people / acid gives the scumbags credibility, like they think they're being taken for a fool if you don't think they'll use their weapon.

At school I'd say most kids had been "jacked" at some point. I'm 32 now.

I've no idea of schools are as rough or more rough in SE London now compared to when I was at school but looking back at some of the stuff I saw I wouldn't want my kid to go through the same.