Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Will we win the play offs?

Comments

• Options
    Depends how many games Fosu is available for.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

Lets see where we are next sunday after 10pm

M1/M25.
  • Options
    Nope, have beaten 3 good teams but no wins were convincing imo. Hope we do but just can’t see it.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Seriously, someone points a gun at your head and says "Get this right and you live, get this wrong and you die - will Charlton be promoted?" Would you really say Charlton will get promoted? Of course, I hope we will win, but under those circumstances I would, reluctantly, have to say say - no, as the safer bet.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Nadou said:

Seriously, someone points a gun at your head and says "Get this right and you live, get this wrong and you die - will Charlton be promoted?" Would you really say Charlton will get promoted? Of course, I hope we will win, but under those circumstances I would, reluctantly, have to say say - no, as the safer bet.

or is that just because, being a charlton fan, you’re a pessimist. if you were a neutral, seeing we’d won 3 of our last 4 and one of those being a 2-0 win over our semi final opponent, another one being against the team who finished second, would you still say no?

edit: just a question btw, i still would probably say no
  • Options
    I believe we will turn up big time on thursday and will blow shrewsbury away - no particular logic, lets just say its 'gut feeling' - we will do them 3-0 in front of 23,000 - fosu will be back for the final and will score 2 in a 2-0 win against scunthorpe in front of 50,000 charlton fans. COYR!!!!!
  • Options

One if we are lucky.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:

I believe we will turn up big time on thursday and will blow shrewsbury away - no particular logic, lets just say its 'gut feeling' - we will do them 3-0 in front of 23,000 - fosu will be back for the final and will score 2 in a 2-0 win against scunthorpe in front of 50,000 charlton fans. COYR!!!!!

And then you woke up!

• Options
    Nadou said:

Well, yeah, there's a 25% ish chance we will so there's a 75% chance that we won't!

Hopefully it's our year.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    cafcfan said:

SE23 said:

25% chance. Simple as that.

Not really as only have to win 2 games in theory so higher than a 25% chance.
    Four teams. One makes it. 1/4 = 25%.

I am putting this in your Christmas stocking this year.

PS- I am just teasing you!image
    Okay. But I suspect it's not really a one-in-four chance. Take the UEFA Champions League round of 16 as an example. Their stats show that since the concept started in 2002/03, 72% of teams playing at home in the second leg win the tie. I mention this because the tie is seeded with the group stage winners being at home in the second leg.

That's pretty much the situation for our play-offs. The teams finishing 3rd and 4th get to play at home in the second leg.
    Even though the "away goals count double" thing doesn't apply here, I'd say knowing precisely what you've got to do to win in front of a partisan home crowd brings a significant advantage.

On top of that the teams finishing 3rd and 4th should be better than the teams finishing 5th and 6th. In our case the league table shows that Shrewsbury are significantly better than us: by a hefty 16 points. They've won 4 more games than they've lost or drawn. We've lost or drawn 6 more games than we've won. Their defence is also better than ours, having conceded less than a goal a game all season both home and away. If i was a betting man....

If by some twist of fate we should get past Shrewsbury though, I reckon we'd win at Wembley.
    The big difference though is that the teams in knockout European matches are the best teams AND the form teams, whereas in the playoffs the team who were brilliant for 3/4 of the season, then slump at the end will usually lose against the worse team who keep their form throughout the season. Or the team who hit their best form in the last month of the season.

On recent form (which is what counts, not how well a team played from August to March), Shrewsbury are probably the worst team of the 4.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    No.
  • Options
    Betfair Exchange odds:

Rotherham 28.9%
    Charlton 26.3%
    Scunthorpe 22.4%
    Shrewsbury 22.4%
  • Options
    Will we win the play offs?

At this point, that's like asking How long's a piece of string.

• Options
    Think we will beat Shrewsbury over two legs as long as we go to their place winning or drawing, they'll have to go for it then and not sit back. Would rather not face Scunthorpe in the final, they looked pretty good on Tuesday and have flair players that can tear a game open (not dissimilar to us). Saying that, we really shouldn't be afraid of anybody, and I would put us as favourites to go up at this moment in time.
  • Options
    I have no idea if we will win it or not. I’m just happy to be in the mix.
  • Options

Betfair Exchange odds:

Rotherham 28.9%
    Charlton 26.3%
    Scunthorpe 22.4%
    Shrewsbury 22.4%

Rather surprised Scunthorpe are ranked joint lowest with the bookies, they've hit form at just the right time
  • Options
    Generally speaking the Play-Off games are tight close affairs, with probably not too many goals, don't expect these to be any different. Personally i'd take a win of any sort on Thursday, but it wouldn't surprise me if the tie went to Extra time or even the dreaded Pens. Same for the Wembley final if of course we get there.
  • Options
    Scores in 2016-17 play offs: 0-0, 1-0, 2-3, 0-0, 0-1.

Getting the first goal in any game will be crucial.
  • Options

Scores in 2016-17 play offs: 0-0, 1-0, 2-3, 0-0, 0-1.

Getting the first goal in any game will be crucial.

Totally agree I feel the first goal will be huge.

Even in Bowyer's 10 games in charge we've scored first on 6 occasions and won the lot. On the 4 occasions the opposition have scored first we've drawn 1 and lost 3. It was the same under Robinson as well and this is why being at home first will make or break the tie for me. Score first and i'm confident we'll win the home leg, go to Shrewsbury with an advantage and I think we have it in us to defend a lead there. We simply have to make home advantage count or it'll be a real mountain to climb going to Shrewsbury with the scores level or worse.

I think we have it in us to do it and go on to win at Wembley too with the sizeable crowd advantage we'd have over Rotherham/Scunthorpe.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2018

Yes we are gonna win them.....20 years on, it’s written

Well said! :-D

I say yes....bloody hope so if I'm travelling 15,000 kms to be at the final!
  • Options
    I'm sure Shrewsbury will set out to frustrate us at the Valley - we do better against teams trying to beat us. I think the crowd need to be patient as we could win this tie at their place and we don't need to throw it away at ours. An early goal for us will be much appreciated however.
  • Options
    Daft question I'm afraid. The shot that hits the post, the penalty the referee doesn't give, the injuries, the defender slips, many games if played again would finish differently. What we need to think about is how much noise we can make over the games. COYR
  • Options
    To be completely honest, I tipped us to be relegated at the start of the season.

I haven’t got a Scooby!
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

Lets see where we are next sunday after 10pm

probably in the same place we'll be about 8pm, or even before that

• Options

if he's training now I'll be amazed if he doesn't start Thursday
  • Options

if he's training now I'll be amazed if he doesn't start Thursday

But Fosu, who has scored nine goals this season, could be in contention for the first leg of the semi-final on Thursday.

Bowyer said: “Tariqe is back in training with us today. We have to see how he gets on in the next 48 hours in training.

“But he’s done all his rehab now so we’ll be gently introducing him with us and seeing how he reacts to that.

http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/936834288?-11197:833
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Wonder if they've started to practice some penalties

Its probably going to worth pointing out where the penalty spot is to the majority of the squad (whilst keeping Josh locked in the broom cupboard) seeing that we've not really had any in the League this season
  • Options
    Have we had 2 or 3? Can’t really remember.