Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bradley Wright-Phillips

2»

Comments

• Always had time for BWP, argubably the last proper goalscorer we've had. However i do think it shows the quality between the MLS and the English leagues, it was clear he wasn't good enough to play in the Championship
  • He often had that lazy tag attached but frankly if someone can get you 20 goals a season then who cares. I chatted to him at the sponsors dinner the promotion year and found him to be a lovely friendly lad, probably the nicest one there to be honest (not including Jacko of course)
  • Really strange one, I was told at the Hartlepool game that Powell was going to get rid of him as he didn't think he would be up to the Championship. But then the money was withdrawn and he had to mend and make do, hence why BWP started the season upfront with Kerms. Was quite soon though that he was dropped and not really seen again.

Wasnt there an article over his time at Charlton which mentioned he was pretty lazy i.e. didnt really do much in training nor did he concentrate on his game and was more interested in playing his Xbox back home, relying on his talent at League One level

I think it went on to say that by moving to the MLS; Wright-Phillips pretty much sorted himself out
    Yep. I believe there was an interview with BWP published last spring where he owned up to all that.
    And Chris Powell eventually ran out of patience with his attitude.

• Another player many of our supporters thought was not good enough, when we learn?
  • edited July 2018
  • ross1 said:

Another player many of our supporters thought was not good enough, when we learn?

He wasn't good enough at the time, which is why Powell dropped him and ended up loaning back to League 1.

I wouldn't say he was hounded out by fans or made a scapegoat. Some always questioned his work rate, but I'd say most liked him after his goals that helped us win the title.
  • Oggy Red said:

Really strange one, I was told at the Hartlepool game that Powell was going to get rid of him as he didn't think he would be up to the Championship. But then the money was withdrawn and he had to mend and make do, hence why BWP started the season upfront with Kerms. Was quite soon though that he was dropped and not really seen again.

Wasnt there an article over his time at Charlton which mentioned he was pretty lazy i.e. didnt really do much in training nor did he concentrate on his game and was more interested in playing his Xbox back home, relying on his talent at League One level

I think it went on to say that by moving to the MLS; Wright-Phillips pretty much sorted himself out
    Yep. I believe there was an interview with BWP published last spring where he owned up to all that.
    And Chris Powell eventually ran out of patience with his attitude.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43879501 This is the article you are referring to in case anyone wants to read
  • ross1 said:

Another player many of our supporters thought was not good enough, when we learn?

Learn what,
    Everyone knew he was good enough for league 1, but when we got promoted he scored 1 goal in 19 games, finished the season on loan at Brentford in League 1.

The following season we were still in the championship were he had failed to prove himself the previous season, so we got rid of him, maybe if we were in league 1 he would of stayed, but its not a case of we never learn like you say it was a case of he wasnt a championship player.
  • Sponsored links:

• Wasn't there an article over his time at Charlton which mentioned he was pretty lazy i.e. didn't really do much in training nor did he concentrate on his game and was more interested in playing his Xbox back home, relying on his talent at League One level

Not necessarily. Maybe a player with some ability can get away with laziness in training and playing with kid's toys in that Mickey Mouse league.
  • MLS Allstars v Juventus
    Game finished 1-1
    Went to a penalty Shootout
    9 Penalties taken
    8 scored
    The 1 missed was BWP

Juventus won shootout 5-3
  • MLS Allstars v Juventus
    Game finished 1-1
    Went to a penalty Shootout
    9 Penalties taken
    8 scored
    The 1 missed was BWP

Juventus won shootout 5-3

odd bump wp
  • BWP vs Rooney in the MLS now, both appear to be the focal point for their teams
  • "Bradley Wright Phillips, he's better than Shrek!"
  • 2 for BWP, 1 for Rooney
    2-2 after 80 mins
  • 3-3
    BWP hat trick
  • Got to hand it to him, he’s been fantastic out in the US, so well done BWP