Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rochdale v Charlton | Sat 05 May | 5:30pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Options
    SDAddick said:

Sage said:

SDAddick said:

Sage said:

SDAddick said:

Sage said:

SDAddick said:

My guess at the team. Given the results it would take for us to miss out on the playoffs I expect anyone with a niggle to be given a rest so it's hard to predict. My question marks are around those coming back from injury, namely Kashi, Mavididi, and Aribo. It's probably case by case, but do you give them a run out to help keep their fitness levels up, or do you start them on the bench to protect them? Mav hasn't played a whole lot of football in the last three months, so I'd be tempted to start him. Ditto Kashi. With Aribo I think it's a question of whether or not Reeves needs a little breather having played so much football after missing so much time with injury.

........ Amos
    Konsa Bauer Pearce DaSilva
    Aribo Kashi F-Caskey Marshall
    ....... Zyro... Mavididi

Bench: Sarr, Dijksteel, Jackson, Reeves, Kaikai, Ajose, Magennis

To me, despite the fact that two or three of those players aren't first choice at the moment, it looks a very strong team. You could also switch to a 4-2-3-1 if needed, playing Marshall, Aribo, and either Mav or Zyro as the attacking three with the other forward up front.

Thought about Zyro starting as well and I can see that happening, he hasn't played for a while and we will need him to be sharp enough in the play offs.

Also, no keeper on the bench?
    Oops the lack of keeper was an oversight.

I think Zyro is one who would do well with getting 60-70 minutes under his belt. It will be a tough game for him on what I'm going to lazily assume is a shit pitch. But after having a hit of a rest (Bowyer admitted he left him in a game too long, I'd argue it was two games), I think he needs to get back out there.
    Yup, most definitely could do with getting an hour under his belt being ready to be called upon next week if we need him. I agree it was at least two games, but has since not been involved. He sure will be tomorrow.

Their pitch now is actually quite good. It was horrific earlier but new grass was laid and is okay now, it will not cause an issue.
    Oh good for them relaying the pitch. Hopefully that allows us to play better football and reduces the risk of injury.

I know what you mean about needing him potentially three times in a week. The fact that playoff A is Thursday/Sunday is ridiculous. It's two fewer days rest for the first leg, and a day fewer for the second.

Does anyone know why that is? Sorry if I've missed it but is there a reason it's not Saturday/Tuesday for A, Sunday/Wednesday for B? Am I missing something obvious here?
    Because the EFL are stupid basically.

They think supporters will be happy if they put one game on per day for 8 days, and 4 games on Saturday 12th May. One at 12:30pm, one at 3pm, one at 5:15pm, and the final one at 7:30pm (that includes two League Two games). It also spreads out the games throughout the play-offs.

They also have done it because they can't have two games kicking off at the same time in midweek, as in the second legs.

Yes, if we finish 6th (more than likely), we will have a quick turnaround of Thursday-Sunday. But so will all the teams in the Championship play-offs: Friday-Monday and Saturday-Tuesday.

Interestingly, they have given the largest rest period to the League Two sides. Saturday-Thursday and Saturday-Friday. They also then have at least 10 days between their second leg and the final. Whereas, we would get a full two weeks until the final if we finish 6th, but only 11 days if we finish 5th.

They could've done it a lot better I think, but they haven't and ultimately, we have to make sure we get a good result in the home leg on Thursday 10th May to put us in a good position only a 3 days later.
    Cheers for that.

Yeah that's...frustrating. I get that this is their big money spinner and that they can't have the midweek games kicking off at the same time. But as you point out there's a huge layoff from the time of the last semi-final to the time of the final and they could theoretically stetch out the semi-finals into the following weekend (as they do with League Two).

Obviously the ties are set and we'll need to deal with whatever lot we get. But I'd much rather finish 5th, even if Shrewsbury are showing signs of tiring. Those extra days could be the difference between a fit Fosu and not. Plus, if we did make it through to the final, a BIG if, then I'd rather have 11 days than two weeks.
    Completely agree with every point made.

The part about Fosu is interesting as I don’t think the final is the earliest we will see him. I got a feeling he will be part of the squad in the second and away leg fixture.

I would much rather 11 days, two weeks is great for rest and working on extra things for the final but we can lose momentum.

Either way, I think we will do it and get to the final. Will be interesting to see the changes Bowyer makes tomorrow with the play offs in mind.
  • Options
    The scheduling is daft, as it truncates the ticket sale time for the restricted capacity matches at smaller grounds (not us but most L1 grounds are fairly small) but gives masses of time to sell the Wembley tickets, where there will be masses of empty seats!
  • Options
    I've gone 2-1 defeats for the last 3 games..............so I'm going for another 2-1 defeat :smile: Kaikai to finally get off the mark.
  • Options
    5-1 away win.
  • Options
    1:0 to us.
    Mav repeating his famous run from last season, this time with happy ending.
  • Options
    Have a bad feeling about this. Rochdale are in a do or die situation and Gillingham have nothing to play for except ruining our day.

Just hope we put out a full strength team.

• Options
    As I predicted we would finish 7th on goal difference in August and again when LB and JJ took over I just want to get the job done now with damage limitation. No more injuries and No red cards before Thursday.
    2-2 with a come back from 2 nil down.
  • Options
    1 - 1 Draw, Bauer for us, from a corner.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Seeing as we start the game with the point we already need, it will be down to us to stop what should be a fast start from Dale. Keep the scores level for 15-20 mins and I think we will start to pick them off on the break.
    If it’s level at half time I can see us pinching this one.
    Go 1-0 down early and it could be a tough afternoon.
    Gut feeling is 1-3. Go one up, they square it and while they’re at it we’ll finish their season!
    Fingers crossed
    Can’t go today so I will be watching in the Maxwell Orpington.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I have a good feeling about today, I reckon a comfortable 3-0 win for us. I think Rochdale will put us under immense pressure for the first 10 minutes. If we can get through the initial part of the game I think our class will show through.

I fancy Joe Aribo to have a brilliant performance today showing his class to everyone. Hopefully, he will give Lee Bowyer a selection headache for the plays offs.
  • Options
    Just passed the team coach on the M1, by Luton
  • Options

Just passed the team coach on the M1, by Luton

That's a bad omen. Look what happened to Luton.
  • Options

The scheduling is daft, as it truncates the ticket sale time for the restricted capacity matches at smaller grounds (not us but most L1 grounds are fairly small) but gives masses of time to sell the Wembley tickets, where there will be masses of empty seats!

I'm pretty sure foe the EFL that's a feature not a bug.
  • Options
    On the way up on the 9:34 to Manchester for an overnight.

I think this will be a tough game, especially as The Dale have their 18 goal top scorer, Henderson, back after a 4 game suspension. That ban may ultimately cost them their League 1 status - that plus the penalty miss the other week against Oldham (which Henderson would have taken) and the bucketful of late goals they’ve conceded. Calvin Andrew normally gives us a bit of trouble as well but Pearce and Bauer are in excellent form and can handle anything at this level.

The Dale are a good footballing side, although they are bound to want to test our mettle physically, given players’ natural desire to avoid injury. I don’t believe we will be found wanting in that respect.

Difficult to predict the side that Lee Bowyer is going to put out, although one man I would like to see getting a bit of a breather at some stage of the game is JFC. The return to fitness of Anthony Dijksteel perhaps enhances the prospect of that, with him being introduced from the bench and Konsa moving up into midfield.

The most likely result today must be a draw. I think they’ll give us some trouble but, given their porous defence and penchant for conceding late goals, I think we’re very likely to score ourselves. Indeed, I think I read somewhere that The Dale have only won one of their last 13 home games, drawing about 8 or 9 of them.

If it is a draw, I hope that will be enough to keep them up, although no one would want to be relying upon Northampton.
  • Options
    If things are going ok near the end, hopefully Jacko will get on for a short cameo and his 499th career appearance - within touching distance of the ‘500 Club’ (preferably achieved at Wembley)
  • Options
    Just about to head off to the train. Second visit to Rochdale. Enjoyed the last visit, a very entertaining 3-3 played in a decent stadium.
    Would be surprised to see as many goals today.

1-2 Mavididi & JFC
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    FREE TICKET going spare (courtesy of Linc Addick)- message me if you want it
  • Options
    I’m nervous about this one. Expecting an aerial bombardment from Rochdale so we’ll have to be on our mettle to keep them out. I’m more nervous about picking up injuries. Will probably lose coz we don’t perform in front of the cameras but I don’t think Plymouth will score more than 3 down the M2. So into the play offs and that’s a lottery
  • Options
    1-1
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

1:0 to us.
    Mav repeating his famous run from last season, this time with happy ending.

• Options
    billy clarke

@billyclarke7
    7h7 hours ago
    More
    Big game today for us. Come on boys. Safe trip to all the fans heading up. Get the away end bouncing. #cafc
  • Options
    I’ve heard the M62 is closed leading into Rochdale. Hope everyone makes it in time
  • Options
    Is that Naby Sarr in the first shot to the left?
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Wow they look so happy to be there don't they...!
  • Options

ross1 said:
    Wow they look so happy to be there don't they...!
    Would You? It's nice and sunny day. Why the hell would you wanna be somewhere oop north?