Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What If Another Club Sniffs Around The Penninsular?

I was reading recently that Newcastle (among other northern clubs) are considering relocating their training grounds to the "London area."

This is because many clubs are realizing that Continental players don't want to really live anywhere else in England and they are having an increasingly hard time attracting players unless they overpay them. To counter this, Newcastle is thinking of building a new training ground in London.

I seriously doubt there are many places to do that in North London at a reasonable price. Which makes me wonder if the Penninsular area (hope I got that name correct) is on other club's radar?

If/when some rich club decides to make the leap with their training ground in that general location or another South London club gets some rich owner and starts sniffing around the area.... what do we do then?

Could we become the next Leyton Orient?

Obviously you all know more about any risk of this than me, but it's on my mind and wanted to see what you all thought about such a possibility.

Comments

• Options
    Chuck off the rugby club and they can train at sparrows.
  • Options
    That's a relief.

Does that also mean there is no way CAFC could ever put a stadium there?
  • Options

I was reading recently that Newcastle (among other northern clubs) are considering relocating their trainings ground to the "London area."

This is because many clubs are realizing that Continental players don't want to really live anywhere else in England and they are having an increasingly hard time attracting players unless they overpay them. To counter this, Newcastle is thinking of building a new training ground in London.

I seriously doubt there are many places to do that in North London at a reasonable price. Which makes me wonder if the Penninsular area (hope I got that name correct) is on other club's radar?

If/when some rich club decides to make the leap with their training ground in that general location or another South London club gets some rich owner and starts sniffing around the area.... what do we do then?

Obviously you all know more about any risk of this than me, but it's on my mind and wanted to see what you all thought about such a possibility.

I doubt there’s not a piece of land left in that area that’s not now been ear-marked for a block of flats/apartments; and if there was, it would probably be too expensive for a training ground now
    Heard Mayor Khan has got an idea for a "Training Bridge", but it's in it's very very early stages at the moment. My guy, ITK, says that it's far from a done deal
  • Options

I was reading recently that Newcastle (among other northern clubs) are considering relocating their training grounds to the "London area."

How can a club have a training ground 200 miles away from its stadium and main training ground? That's bonkers!

The big London clubs generally have their training grounds outside of London anyway, Spurs and Arsenal's are out by the M25
  • Options
    Why would they build a training ground on such expensive land? there's a reason most London clubs training grounds are actually outside of London (i think we're one of the few who's training ground has a London postcode.)
  • Options
    It would have been handy for Robert Lee and Rob Elliott, leave Charlton to join Newcastle, but stay living and training in London!
  • Options
    C_A_F_C said:

Why would they build a training ground on such expensive land? there's a reason most London clubs training grounds are actually outside of London (i think we're one of the few who's training ground has a London postcode.)

I was reading recently that Newcastle (among other northern clubs) are considering relocating their trainings ground to the "London area."

I doubt there’s not a piece of land left in that area that’s not now been ear-marked for a block of flats/apartments; and if there was, it would probably be too expensive for a training ground now
    Not true, the golf driving range has a limited time span with intention for a 'sporting venue'. Not all the land there is designated for housing, and if its not designated for housing then the price becomes more 'affordable', should RBG desire a sporting venue- which, as i understand it, they do.
  • Options

what if they did? It’s a training ground you are talking about not a stadium.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

C_A_F_C said:

Not true, the golf driving range has a limited time span with intention for a 'sporting venue'. Not all the land there is designated for housing, and if its not designated for housing then the price becomes more 'affordable', should RBG desire a sporting venue- which, as i understand it, they do.
    New shopper says going to be a 4,000 capacity music venue !
  • Options

C_A_F_C said:

Why would they have a music venue when you've got the biggest one in Europe along the road?
  • Options
    What If Another Club Sniffs Around The Penninsular?

Doesn't smell too bad since the old tunnel refineries closed, so not much sniffing.
  • Options

C_A_F_C said:

That's going to be on the big patch of concrete just to the north of the driving range. http://www.fromthemurkydepths.co.uk/2018/05/01/new-4400-capacity-music-and-exhibition-venue-proposed-in-greenwich/

The area with the driving range and the new music venue is the most prime plot on the Peninsula. Knight Dragon (the developer) plans to build their most premium apartment blocks there, with the best views over Canary Wharf. But they're not planning to build them until the rest of their land on the Peninsula has been developed, so they've let the plot for other uses for around 10 years.

I would agree with others that there's no chance of a northern club setting up a training facility in the area.
  • Options

How can a club have a training ground 200 miles away from its stadium and main training ground? That's bonkers!

The big London clubs generally have their training grounds outside of London anyway, Spurs and Arsenal's are out by the M25
    Some of the teams in the Russian top flight train in Moscow despite their home stadiums being thousands of miles away for pretty much the reasons @NapaAddick states.

I doubt it would happen in England, but football is so mental here that nothing would surprise me.
  • Options
    edited May 2018

what if they did? It’s a training ground you are talking about not a stadium.

But maybe it's just the start, training ground today - shift the whole club tomorrow.

Any other professional team, particularly a team in the PL, having a presence in LBG is a potential threat to us and we should nip it in the bud.
  • Options
    No need to worry about this Napa.
  • Options

No need to worry about this Napa.

Are you mad? What if someone builds a training ground where our fantastic new Red Bull Stadium is supposed to go. We’ll have to share with Ebbsfleet
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Did you read this on April 1st by any chance, Napa?
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Nope. Articles about clubs sniffing around London have been written up since 2016. It's not just Newcastle considering moving it's training ground to London, but Sunderland too. Sunderland is apparently considering taking over QPR's old training ground once QPR moves to their new one. Articles can be found about even ManC and Liverpool starting to realize London is going to be the only city in England that really matters for foreign players pretty soon.
  • Options

Nope. Articles about clubs sniffing around London have been written up since 2016. It's not just Newcastle considering moving it's training ground to London, but Sunderland too. Sunderland is apparently considering taking over QPR's old training ground once QPR moves to their new one. Articles can be found about even ManC and Liverpool starting to realize London is going to be the only city in England that really matters for foreign players pretty soon.

It was for ever thus.

And then they built roads, trains and aeroplanes. Then they paid players thousands of pounds a week and foreign players saw the light and realised that they had always supported Newcastle as small glassey eyed boys, and that the land of geordies was good. They kissed the badge, swore allegiance and were happy.
  • Options
    Its a ridiculous idea...and of course, totally impractical.

Take your example of Newcastle. First things first....the whole squad has to train together yes? So Newcastle build a new training ground in London and over the close season instruct all their playing squad, management team and any relevant support staff that they need to relocate to London and all the logistical hell/problems that would induce. And for every home game the squad would then have to be coached 200+ miles there and the same back. I'm sure they'd enjoy that for home Saturday and Tuesday games.

You're also not thinking about what the actual players/management/staff would think about such a dramatic upheaval. They would have their respective worlds turned upside down for the sake of potential future foreign players that don't even belong to the club yet! They're gonna love that....and last but not least, what do you think the supporters would think of such a move? My guess is that they'd be collectively royally pissed off. It would be seen as a slap in the face. The club would be effectively saying, the area you live in, the town/city we represent, who's name we wear, isn't good enough for our own players to live in.
  • Options

Might be some truth in this, one of the Newcastle papers has the headline “howay lads, cockneys not content with streets paved with gold steal wor toon”
  • Options
    Hold on Draizetrain, that last paragraph is winning me over.
  • Options
    We've got enough problems to worry about but this ain't one of them.
  • Options
    Just checked and I think we are the only club with a training ground with a London postcode. Spurs and Arsenal are in Herts, Chelsea in Surrey, Palace in Beckenham, Spanners are very near but just in Bromley, QPR in Uxbridge, Brentford in Hounslow, Fulham and Wombles in New Malden, Orient in Chigwell, West Ham in Romford.

Given the cost of land in London, I'd be surprised if this idea has wings at all. If a club from the north was to establish a base in the SE, it would be somewhere that was accessible from London and wherever the northerners came from, somewhere like Milton Keynes or Northampton would probably work.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    I was out that way a couple of years ago and fuck me, i do remember seeing an empty discarded can of Newquay Brown Ale laying in the gutter. It's all coming together now Napps!
  • Options
    rananegra said:

Just checked and I think we are the only club with a training ground with a London postcode. Spurs and Arsenal are in Herts, Chelsea in Surrey, Palace in Beckenham, Spanners are very near but just in Bromley, QPR in Uxbridge, Brentford in Hounslow, Fulham and Wombles in New Malden, Orient in Chigwell, West Ham in Romford.

Given the cost of land in London, I'd be surprised if this idea has wings at all. If a club from the north was to establish a base in the SE, it would be somewhere that was accessible from London and wherever the northerners came from, somewhere like Milton Keynes or Northampton would probably work.

There you have it. Red Bull are the new owners for our imminent peninsula move. I knew it.