Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Richard Murray

Comments

• Murray is in an impossible situation,I believe that his main love in life is Charlton and he would be lost without his involvement in the club.This situation has obviously led to some falling in with Rolands way of running the club.He invested a fortune in overseeing the best years this club has had,I dont believe he has ever asked for his money back(I stand to be corrected on this).He is Charlton through and through,I would give him some slack.

Fuck him.
    This ain't a would ya thread.
    Get a grip man
    Standing ovation for that one mate.
  • Not slapping myself on the back, but I started the post with a “ middle way”. It shows what a great bunch us Charlton supporters are as both sides of the picture are shown.
    Well done a good healthy discussion.
  • Am never sat in my seat until a minute or two before kick off so missed the booing.

Don’t know enough about why RM has chosen to portray himself as in favour of the current owner, sometimes the devil is in the detail which we don’t see. As such I will give him the benefit of the doubt for the good times and would welcome his continued attendance at games.

That said, I don’t see a place for him in respect to the boardroom / running of the club, he has become too tainted for that.

• edited May 2018
    BDL said:

Rode on the success of others who had done groundwork, let Pardew get away with murder (which is why he got deposed), blocked PV on too many occasions. Deserves all the stick he now gets in my opinion. He is as culpable as Roland for our plight.

More culpable imo, as we'd never have heard of RD if Murray hadn't completely taken apart the club's successes beforehand.

All about his own ego, couple that with being completely out of his depth/found out from the ridiculous Dowie appointment onwards (arguably before that), then that's a recipe for disaster.

And that's exactly what happened.

Men who are "Charlton through and through" put Charlton first. He has and still to this day puts himself first, with no regard for the club, and he's solely responsible for twelve years of shit (bar the Powell promotion).
  • It’s really not worth letting RM’s general crappery towards the fans ruin the few comforts of joy we are experiencing at the moment, life is too short, it’s a shame his legacy will be tainted by the last 10 years, rather than the beginning of his tenure, quit whilst you’re ahead springs to mind.
  • I’m indifferent to him to be honest. Up until reading this thread I was unaware of the extent of his mismanagement post Curbs and as @Airman Brown and @BDL pointed out he’s made a lot of poor decisions and they’ve probably seen a side to him many of us wouldn’t have a clue about as average punters

I remember his Q&A back in 2009 (I think) when we had Parkinson in charge and I would say that his stock was still very high. I remember one guy getting up and thanking him for all the good work he had done, and the rest of us clapping in agreement. But it has unravelled spectacularly since then.

I wouldn’t boo him, I think his contribution to what was one of the most successful periods in our history will always live long in my memory. However as I have said on here a few times now when his name is mentioned that I hope he chooses the takeover to take a back seat and just be a fan again. There’s nothing more for him to gain by being involved either in an official capacity or a figurehead

• Sponsored links:

• I can’t believe he still has the front to come onto the pitch to do these things . The man is a turncoat and since he decided to bring in Dowie because of a personal feud he’s made mistake after mistake to the detriment of the club .
    The sooner he buggers off the better

E-cafc said:

He has neither said or done anything during the RD era to show that he has the best interests of the club at heart. Also he has distanced himself from the fans in order to look after his own arse.

He must play no future role at the club under new owners.

These. I booed on Saturday as he not once ever, during RD's reign, said what was happening was wrong (multiple foreign managers, network players coming in ahead of more competent English based players etc) & has even said that what's going on is good for the club. The final nail in the coffin is the unwillingness to say anything until forced to by CARD & then releasing a statement that had more fudge & obfuscation than Brexit. He should have bowed out gracefully when the spivs went - the longer he stays the greater the stink.

I can’t believe he still has the front to come onto the pitch to do these things . The man is a turncoat and since he decided to bring in Dowie because of a personal feud he’s made mistake after mistake to the detriment of the club .
    The sooner he buggers off the better

E-cafc said:

He has neither said or done anything during the RD era to show that he has the best interests of the club at heart. Also he has distanced himself from the fans in order to look after his own arse.

He must play no future role at the club under new owners.

These. I booed on Saturday as he not once ever, during RD's reign, said what was happening was wrong (multiple foreign managers, network players coming in ahead of more competent English based players etc) & has even said that what's going on is good for the club. The final nail in the coffin is the unwillingness to say anything until forced to by CARD & then releasing a statement that had more fudge & obfuscation than Brexit. He should have bowed out gracefully when the spivs went - the longer he stays the greater the stink.
    What do you think would have happened if he had spoke against RD? I get that people have strong feelings about this but don’t know what world people live in if they think that he had any freedom to say what he really thought.
  • He backed RD. He backed the wrong horse and still seems to back him, acting as the public face of his incompetence.
    I hope to god he gets paid off and has no future role with the club in ANY capacity whatsoever, even if it is in name only. Heck, for all we know, HE might be the reason the deal has not happened yet.
  • what do you think would have happened if he had spoke against RD? I get that people have strong feelings about this but don’t know what world people live in if they think that he had any freedom to say what he really thought
    oh thats ok them, hooray for Richard
  • Rob7Lee said:

...Not sure who else would/could have presented it though, wasn't going to be RD by video conference, suspect Bowyer et all had other things going on at 2:40, one of the ticket office or media team, Chris Parkes? He is still exec chairman or whatever the title is...

Keith Peacock? Would have been quite fitting, one legend to another.

• edited May 2018
    He took a lot of credit for the good decisions he made, and rightly so. So he has to take the blame for the poor ones. And there have been many of these since Curbs left by some weird co-incidence. Poor decision for him to do presentation for JJ after the game - typically selfish. Any of us knowing the low regard we are held in would have got Bowyer to do it or Keith Peacock.
  • Sponsored links:

• Ideally, I want him gone.

If he wants to pitch up at games, he can pay for whatever level of hospitality he so desires, just like a regular punter. (In reality,of course, that won't happen - he'll get made a "life president" or some such and carry on getting free admission, car parking, nosh and booze.)
  • The mans a bare faced liar and not even a good one, he has numerous faces and uses them as and where he deem sthe face to fit

He started to unravel years back at fan events

he has blocked things that would've given us new chairman and demoted himself to Director and that wouldve been some ride with great strong leadership and backing

he shit on those that stood alongside him in that boardroom when him and jordans gang nearly came to blows

he dumped good people during the reign if the spivs

he has aligned himself to the current bunch of cnts and he is now no different ,

All of this after he had every single one of us myself included eating out of the palm of his hand , the respect love and loyalty shown to him by this fan base during some of the most scandalous miss management is astounding and testament to how much he was loved

I still wish him no harm or ill health i still thank him for the part he played in the golden period but i want him gone and gone out of our club for the treason and treachery the has displayed and the absolute contempt of each and every one of his fans and supporters that he has shown and is showing still up until this day

Blimey, sounds like Game of Thrones, but with less tits...

Well there’s one or two...
  • edited May 2018
    rikofold said:

I can't help but think that Richard Murray just got very lucky during the Curbs era.

There were multiple good and talented directors at the club, Varney is just one of them.

I'm sure people know better than me, but I would love to know how much Murray actually contributed to the success as apposed to riding the wave of success provided by others.

The work he has done since, starting with how Curbs left, Dowie was appointed and most recently the Douchbag era suggests that he was and is out of his depth.

That's a bit harsh in my view. He was part of a strong team that came together at the same time, and took a long term view to build slowly, incrementally year on year, which provided the security and foundation for that brilliant 98 season. He was a big part of the success and he deserves credit for it.

Clearly he's made his mistakes, but I think the timing of them has amplified them a bit - one more season in the top flight and we'd have had the new TV deal to rebuild with, for example.

I wonder if it's most true to suggest his leadership was more suited to the game back then. Football's changed immensely since 98, even since 2007, and you get the feeling he doesn't change easily.

I also think his lack of any real role under Roland was exposed by the Powell sacking. I'm sure many of us hoped Murray would be a positive calming influence in the boardroom, but in truth he had very little to do with the running of the club and undid his well-earned reputation by publicly backing Duchatelet and Meire, when he could have played a much cuter game by providing the advocate the fans desperately needed, to be fair a role they had been used to him providing.

People will form their own opinions of him. For me he will always be the guy who was one of the key factors behind the times I was most proud of the club. Time will be forgiving on subsequent mistakes I'd suggest, although I doubt the Duchatelet years will quickly be forgotten.

So I can't hold anything against him, even the later mistakes, personal battles and backing the wrong horses. It's probably too late for his reputation with the fans to recover, but if I were the new owners I'd give him a life presidency and a few events to honour the positives, then allow him to fade into the background a little and just enjoy his latter years around the club without the hassle.
    Totally agree, hindsight is a wonderful thing.
  • Dry as a bone!
  • cafcfan said:

Ideally, I want him gone.

If he wants to pitch up at games, he can pay for whatever level of hospitality he so desires, just like a regular punter. (In reality,of course, that won't happen - he'll get made a "life president" or some such and carry on getting free admission, car parking, nosh and booze.)

Why not......doesn’t bother me in the slightest.
  • edited May 2018
    All this, "look what good he's done for us in the past" is wearing a little thin now. We plummeted out of the top league years ago and continued to lurch from bad to worse for the next 10 years. Baring one bloody good year and then the wheels came off well and truly.
    If I remember rightly, the good work getting us to being a well respected club was done by quite few people not one. The demise of the club had far, far fewer at the helm. Just because you gain credit by doing great once it doesn't wipe away the monumental crap show that follows.
    I do think Richard Murray has tried over the year to do right by the club but some of his decision making with or without the benefit of hindsight has been wrong to put it mildly.
  • All this, "look what good he's done for us in the past" is wearing a little thin now. We plummeted out of the top league years ago and continued to lurch from bad to worse for the next 10 years. Baring one bloody good year and then the wheels came off well and truly.
    If I remember rightly, the good work getting us to being a well respected club was done by quite few people not one. The demise of the club had far, far fewer at the helm. Just because you gain credit by doing great once it doesn't wipe away the monumental crap show that follows.
    I do think Richard Murray has tried over the year to do right by the club but some of his decision making with or without the benefit of hindsight has been wrong to put it mildly.

in the same way that Murray doesn't deserve much credit for the season we had under Powell, he also doesn't deserve the level of criticism he is getting for some of our recent poor seasons.

Yes he has backed RD and why that is puzzles me too. But the recent failings have been under RD/KM and not Murray.

I do accept he made poor judgement whilst still being in control but IMO, his level of success as chairman fair outweighed the failures.
  • Years ago I remember taking comfort in the fact that Murray was still involved at board level, given his past and his knowledge of CAFC I suppose I thought that would provide some level of stability should it all go wrong, it did go wrong, and you could suggest, at the very least, that he didn't do enough.

Whatever you think of how he handled the KM/RD era the club needs to move forward and I think he would do well to leave (murexit) not only for Charlton but for himself too.

• edited May 2018
    tbh, i dont hate Murray, he oversaw the best period in Charltons recent history, and for that i am thankful to him. The fact he made some dubious decisions during his tenure, well, havnt we all.
    The link with RD is a more sinister thing though, but he's only looking after no 1. Wouldnt you?
  • Spot on Mr.President,I will never forget the day we took 4000 to Port Vale in our promotion year for a vital match,with Murray paying for the coaches.How times change,he came out before the game and was greeted warmly by all who travelled,and I firmly believe that he would be very flexible with RD to retain his involvement with the club.