Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Options
    Can’t possibly decide out of the first 6.
  • Options
    3rd from the top
  • Options
    The roundel
  • Options
    The current one.
  • Options
    Can only see 2?? our current badge
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Not again!,, well be back to talking about whether Johnnie Jackson is past it, safe standing, or the Red Red Robin next.
  • Options
    Current badge. I've never referred to us as the robins.
  • Options
    Current - I'm biased but it's one of the most distinctive and iconic badges in the country
  • Options
    would anyone have curbs back?

the current one
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Current one. It's a pretty decent bit of design really, distinctive and for its time, pretty modern too
  • Options
    Option C
  • Options
    Current one for me. We've got a good badge as badges go
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

The current one. Shouldn't even be discussing the possibility of changing it. Sooner or later we'll end up with an owner who decides that he wants to change it , I'm surprised Roland didn't get round to adding that to his list of cock-ups.

For all we know, the Aussies are already busy drafting a new badge that features a kangaroo fisting a robin. We'll all be up in arms about that. Or maybe we'll be taken over by Arabs, and they'll want to change the Valiant sword into a scimitar. Having discussions like this just encourages the view that we're open to people making changes to historically significant elements of the club.

New owners - Charlton play at The Valley, in red shirts and white shorts, with the Valiant sword on their shirts, with the word "Charlton" above it and "Athletic" underneath. None of these things are open to negotiation.

To be fair the current badge only dates back to the 60s, so it's not only new owners that change things

https://www.castrust.org/2013/06/if-you-know-your-istory-cafcbadge-origins/

It's a good article, but it still doesn't really explain who chose the sword design and why, as it's not as if we're actually in the City of London!
  • Options
    Yes, the current badge looks good. Simple and distinctive but I'm sure I understood the motivation for the sword was to attract fans from the city. Whatever the history -it looks decent and we should keep it.
  • Options
    No change for me... although I guess you could put 1905 somewhere?
  • Options
    The 5th one.
  • Options
    Current one
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Current one, no contest, probably the best badge in the league, simple, distinctive and works equally well across anything, from an embroidered logo on a cap to the side of the stadium. Love it.
  • Options
    Of course the Bukta kit had this .......
  • Options
    And I do like this
  • Options
    Not too bothered really. It's who has the badge on their chest that's more important.
  • Options
    Notwithstanding all the current fuckery that is going on with our club, there are still many things I remain proud of about CAFC and the badge is one of them.
  • Options

And I do like this

Would happily have that on a nice understated shirt.
  • Options
    The shield badge is of its time and high up on the Jimmy Seed stand is an appropriate place for it to be proudly displayed.

Keep the current one and force feed a large replica of one down Roland’s throat.
  • Options
    Current one but with a wallaby or some such antipodean marsupial. Maybe a Tasmanian Devil.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    My understanding was the sword represents Watt Tylers dagger, whilst this also appears on the City of London crest, his revolt started at nearby Blackheath in 1385 before marching on the City

His dagger is often used as symbolism for London, another example would be on the 56th London Division battle flash during the Great War, they consisted of units from across Greater London, for the 1939-45 war it was changed to reflect Dick Whittingtons cat....anyway unlike me to start wittering on about the war.
  • Options
    Amazing really that we've had iterations of this great badge since the 60's yet it still looks in keeping with modern designs.