Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sobering Thought

edited April 2018 in General Charlton
After the great man JJ the next longest serving player involved yesterday in the 18 was Patrick Bauer who joined in August 2015 and was the only other player in yesterday's squad apart from JJ to have played for Charlton in the Championship.

That fact illustrates starkly to me what a rarity players like Jackson and Solly have become and how the days of a nucleus of players over a few seasons have probably disappeared forever.

Kiely, Kishishev, Bartlett, Euell, Johansson and Young were all around together for 5 seasons or so and Chris Powell can probably be added to that list with his comings and goings.

EDIT: And I left out Superkev and Fortune!!

Does continuity breed success?

Comments

• Unfortunately even Bowyer has got it spot on with his comments over the weekend

the amount of time that Jackson has spent at Charlton is unheard of even to him, and he only retired a few years go
  • edited April 2018
    Kashi joined in July 2015, Phillips and Lennon (19 championship apps) have been with us since 2013 but I take your point since they haven't had any long runs in the team in that time. I think Pearce could potentially be our next longer term Jackson-like talisman but a lot will depend on when we get up to the championship again.
  • Kashi joined in July 2015, Phillips and Lennon (19 championship apps) have been with us since 2013 but I take your point since they haven't had any long runs in the team in that time. I think Pearce could potentially be our next longer term Jackson-like talisman but a lot will depend on when we get up to the championship again.

Correction accepted.

Kashi played in the championship too but given his long absence easy to forget as indeed I did!
  • I think it's a good observation about continuity and success, Len but I don't think it's a one way street. Unfortunately in the last few years we've had far too many players that we really wouldn't want to have stuck around any longer. Continuity is great, but only when the quality is sufficient.