Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Defending under Bowyer and Jacko

I've honestly never seen a Charlton team defend with such confidence as I have these past few games.

Amos has been unbelievable.

And the fearless slide tackling from the likes of Pearce, Bauer and Kashi are phenomenal.

Huge credit to Bowyer and Jacko. They've realised our best asset is our defence and they've not only used that to our advantage but have made it bloody entertaining to watch! Who needs goals to enjoy a game!

Comments

• Pearce and Bauer seem to work well together and Amos has been excellent. Prefer Page to DaSilva and Konsa is getting better at RB.

Amos has been improved massively this season and belongs at a higher level. Good shot stopper and seems to get every cross - only weakness is distribution. Player of the season by a mile for me.
  • The manager 's job is to get the best out of his players.
    Bowyer and JJ are doing just that.
    Robinson on the other hand was tactically inept.

Beat Rochdale yesterday so Bow might be giving him a ring this week.
  • Redrobo said:

The manager 's job is to get the best out of his players.

I hope not. Robinson is the last person to get advice from.
  • edited April 2018
    Redrobo said:

Went behind and only won thanks to two penalties

Thats not being tactically correct - thats the ultimate get out of jail card
  • Sponsored links:

• Redrobo said:

I hope not. Robinson is the last person to get advice from.
    A young manager, in his first job, should not be afraid to ask anybody's advice.

By the same maxim, there is no reason to take it...

• Another point, for which I may be called a blasphemer, and burnt at the stake, is their tenure has also coincided with the season ending injury of Chris Solly. Now, this may be considered unlucky, but it has meant that that option has not been available. Great player that he HAS been, his standard this season has been, at best, average. The (various) youthful legs that have been put in have, generally, added an energy to our game.

Everybody in the squad looks improved under Bowyer and Jacko - no reason to think that Solly wouldn't have followed that trend.
    I just wonder if Solly's injuries are the problem?
  • Redrobo said:

Went behind and only won thanks to two penalties

Thats not being tactically correct - thats the ultimate get out of jail card
    I haven't seen it so wouldn't want to call it one way or the other, but you do have to be attacking the oppositions goal to win a penalty.
  • We are really defending as a team now. Whenever the opposition gets the ball in midfield, they are instantly surrounded and harried by two or three Charlton players, thus making it much harder for them to retain possession and pick a telling forward pass.
  • Redrobo said:

Ring Robinson listen carefully to what he has to say and do the opposite.
  • KR is so predictable Bowyer wouldn't even need to call him to know the advice; "play 4-5-1, piss about with the ball at the back and for gods sake don't take any shots! Make sure you piss off all of your strikers pre-match by saying you don't have any and they are all unfit, make sure you only name 5 subs.. oh and don't forget to have a moan about Roland in the car park before the game"
  • By my reckoning, we have not conceded a goal for 343 minutes - and all against top 6 teams- long may it continue.
  • By my reckoning, we have not conceded a goal for 343 minutes - and all against top 6 teams- long may it continue.

329 minutes (Toney scored in the 31st min for Scunthorpe when the won 1-0) so good maths if you worked it out in our head

329 minutes (Toney scored in the 31st min for Scunthorpe when the won 1-0) so good maths if you worked it out in our head
    Plus 14 minutes added on for stoppages across four games.
  • Sponsored links:

• Uboat said:

By my reckoning, we have not conceded a goal for 343 minutes - and all against top 6 teams- long may it continue.

Plus 14 minutes added on for stoppages across four games.
    I was adding in stoppage time, so it would actully be closer to 350, coz we had 6 mins at Pompey and 7 yesterday.
  • Talking about stoppage time - i thought our game management in both Pompey and Blackburn games was excellent - in neither game did i feel the other side would score.
    2 anecdotes stick out for me - first was Marshall running down the time at Pompey towards the corner flag, waiting to be fouled, and lo-and-behold a little tap from behind, he goes down and we get a free-kick. Second was Pearce yesterday when we had a free-kick 5 yards inside our own half, whilst the ref was talking to the Blackburn player who committed the foul, Pearcey deliberately moves the ball forward 10 yards to be 5 yards inside their half knowing full well the ref would send him back this wasting another 20 seconds.
  • Great defending from the team, and I mean team

I expected Pearce to be immense at the back, but really impressed with Bauer, and how he's really improved, and looks so comfortable now against physical "English style" attackers.
  • Talking about stoppage time - i thought our game management in both Pompey and Blackburn games was excellent - in neither game did i feel the other side would score.
    2 anecdotes stick out for me - first was Marshall running down the time at Pompey towards the corner flag, waiting to be fouled, and lo-and-behold a little tap from behind, he goes down and we get a free-kick. Second was Pearce yesterday when we had a free-kick 5 yards inside our own half, whilst the ref was talking to the Blackburn player who committed the foul, Pearcey deliberately moves the ball forward 10 yards to be 5 yards inside their half knowing full well the ref would send him back this wasting another 20 seconds.

That foul he earned at Pompey was brilliant play by Marshall, you can see he's an experienced pro and knows what the game situation needs.
  • We are really defending as a team now. Whenever the opposition gets the ball in midfield, they are instantly surrounded and harried by two or three Charlton players, thus making it much harder for them to retain possession and pick a telling forward pass. </blockquote

Scunthorpe were really effective in harrying and closing us down whenever we got the ball a couple of weeks ago, so was good to see us doing this against both Portsmouth and Blackburn.