Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2018 transfer rumours

Comments

• cafc4life said:

Amos gone to shithole down the road . Shame. Best keeper we've had down the Valley in Years

Amos who?
  • So by the looks of things, if Dawkins can prove his fitness to Bowyer, he is someone we are likely to sign. If Pratley chooses to come to us, he is someone we would like to bring in, and we could be working on a deal for Cullen on loan, which would be the two centre midfielders that Bowyer has been speaking about.

That leaves a back up keeper behind Phillips, a left back to support and give competition to Page, and a right sided centre back.

All without losing anyone.

This takeover needs to go through very, very soon because ultimately, we need to sign at least another 6 players without us losing anyone at all.
  • Sage said:

So by the looks of things, if Dawkins can prove his fitness to Bowyer, he is someone we are likely to sign. If Pratley chooses to come to us, he is someone we would like to bring in, and we could be working on a deal for Cullen on loan, which would be the two centre midfielders that Bowyer has been speaking about.

That leaves a back up keeper behind Phillips, a left back to support and give competition to Page, and a right sided centre back.

All without losing anyone.

This takeover needs to go through very, very soon because ultimately, we need to sign at least another 6 players without us losing anyone at all.

You've also got to expect Magennis and Bauer to potentially go

The former might happen a bit quicker now that Bolton have gotten rid of Amos for another season
  • edited July 2018
    sam3110 said:

_____, Phillips
    _____, Solly
    Pearce, Sarr
    Bauer, _____
    Page, _____
    Marshall, _____
    ______, Forster-Caskey
    Aribo, Dijksteel
    Clarke, Reeves
    Fosu, _____
    Magennis, Taylor
    Vetokele, Ajose

By my reckoning, we're short 7 players as it is, amd that doesn't account for departures (or youth players stepping up admittedly but I'd rather have 2 players for every position and them on top)

You are forgetting Karlan Grant, he would probably be classed as one of the wide midfielders you have left blank, Dawkins probably the other.

Realistically, I don't think we will sign another right-back and instead I can see Dijksteel filling in, rightly or wrongly. And with my post above, the squad could look a bit more like this...

Phillips, _____
    Solly, Dijksteel
    Pearce, Sarr
    Bauer, _____
    Page, _____
    Marshall, Dawkins
    Pratley, Forster-Caskey
    Aribo, Cullen
    Clarke, Reeves
    Fosu, Grant
    Magennis, Taylor
    Vetokele, Ajose
  • I think Marshall will be cover for Solly. I called it last season and he did well there vs QPR.
  • I think Marshall will be cover for Solly. I called it last season and he did well there vs QPR.

That could easily be due to a lack of options rather than a permanent move.
  • Reckon we should take a leaf out of England's book

------------Phillips

-----Bauer---Pearce---Sarr

Marshall-------------------Page

-----------JFC/Anfernee

-----Aribo/Reeves-----JFC/Clarke

------------------Fosu

------Taylor

------------Phillips

-----------JFC/Anfernee

------------------Fosu

------Taylor

I actually don't think that's a bad idea at all, would give Sarr less pressure as well with more defenders around him, we also know he's a very decent passer of the ball.

We certainly can't play a 442 or 4231 with the players we have currently so why not
  • edited July 2018

Understand David Martin (Millwall reserve keeper) has been training with us this week

Five people laughed at this post from this morning. Am I missing a joke?
  • think we were hoping it was
  • Sponsored links:

I called it as well.

------------Phillips

-----------JFC/Anfernee

------------------Fosu

------Taylor

Bauer at right centre back with a player who has played most of his career at left wing, playing right wing back. Got disaster written all over it.

No harm in giving different things and systems a try but it still has to suit the personnel we have at the club. Too much in the past we have played square pegs in round holes and it just doesn't work. The other thing is that with playing the system of how England played this World Cup, everyone needs to be comfortable on the ball and need to be extremely fit otherwise you lose the midfield battle. The personnel at the club right now, we would get completely destroyed between the right and left centre backs and the wing backs.
  • KR tried to play his favorite system when he first arrived but we did not have the right players, so he went out and brought in many wingers, that was a real success.
  • Sage said:

Reckon we should take a leaf out of England's book

------------Phillips

-----------JFC/Anfernee

------------------Fosu

------Taylor

Bauer at right centre back with a player who has played most of his career at left wing, playing right wing back. Got disaster written all over it.

No harm in giving different things and systems a try but it still has to suit the personnel we have at the club. Too much in the past we have played square pegs in round holes and it just doesn't work. The other thing is that with playing the system of how England played this World Cup, everyone needs to be comfortable on the ball and need to be extremely fit otherwise you lose the midfield battle. The personnel at the club right now, we would get completely destroyed between the right and left centre backs and the wing backs.
    That's a 3 at the back not Bauer right back
  • uie2 said:

Sage said:

------------Phillips

-----------JFC/Anfernee

------------------Fosu

------Taylor

That's a 3 at the back not Bauer right back
    I know that, hence if you read my post it clearly say at right centre back. It also says about we would get destroyed between right and left centre backs and the wing backs with that specific personnel.
  • just getting the BFG et al fit to flog off

------------Phillips

-----------JFC/Anfernee

------------------Fosu

------Taylor

Like it. Would also ike to see that LB has more to him than 442.
  • Redrobo said:

I think Marshall will be cover for Solly. I called it last season and he did well there vs QPR.

I called it as well.
    I might have hinted at it. Or did I just think it?
  • JamesSeed said:

Redrobo said:

I think Marshall will be cover for Solly. I called it last season and he did well there vs QPR.

I called it as well.
    I might have hinted at it. Or did I just think it?
    He had a great game on the right wing under Bows and his tracking back was first class. Really impressed me with his defending. He then returned to the bench.

Page on one side and Marshall on the right would be good with three at the back IMO. Think he has the making of a good right back in his own right.
  • Sage said:

------------Phillips

-----------JFC/Anfernee

------------------Fosu

------Taylor

Good job it's a hypothetical post on a message board by someone with absolutely no sway over actual team selection and tactics then ;)

Bauer plays right in a centre back pairing so not that bigger stretch for him to play right in a 3. He's not too bad on the ball and is a bit quicker than he;s given credit for imo. Think he'd do okay.

Marshall has played wide right plenty for us and showed his defensive responsibility in that Blackburn game. He's right footed too so would balance things out. Whether we can pass the ball well enough is a fair question, but it's league 1 so no one is exactly Pirlo.

It seems we're going to be stuck with a small squad so won't be able to vary the personnel so I think we maybe need to be a bit more creative with our tactics and style of play if we're going to find a a way to mix it up and keep the opposition guessing. This is just one idea.

• Sponsored links:

• JamesSeed said:

------------Phillips

-----------JFC/Anfernee

------------------Fosu

------Taylor

Need 3 ball playing centre halves for that formation. I'm afriad none of them fit that criteria
  • JamesSeed said:

------------Phillips

-----------JFC/Anfernee

------------------Fosu

------Taylor

Need 3 ball playing centre halves for that formation. I'm afriad none of them fit that criteria
    You're joking! Sarr would be a Prem CB if not for defensive inconsistencies, due partly to lack of games in the right position with a settled back four. Good on both feet, quick so ideal for middle of a three. Bauer not too shabby either and has made some great forays forward. OK Pearce is row Z but brings other attributes to table. Marshall makes more tackles than some past full backs so I'd be happy as 1st choice RB tbh.
    He's poor even at our level. Premier League? He couldn't even get in our team.
  • edited July 2018

JamesSeed said:

------------Phillips

-----------JFC/Anfernee

------------------Fosu

------Taylor

Exactly this, they may be fairly comfortable on the ball but they’re not what you would really call proper ball playing centre backs. They’re first ball defenders, not more athletic, comfortable second ball defenders who would fit better in a 3 at the back.

However, this is all hypothetical and we wouldn’t be playing a back 3 when they’re the only senior centre backs we have.
  • edited July 2018

------------Phillips

-----------JFC/Anfernee

------------------Fosu

------Taylor

You're joking! Sarr would be a Prem CB if not for defensive inconsistencies, due partly to lack of games in the right position with a settled back four. Good on both feet, quick so ideal for middle of a three. Hoddle like passing. Bauer not too shabby either and has made some great forays forward. OK Pearce is row Z but brings other attributes to table. Marshall makes more tackles than some past full backs so I'd be happy as 1st choice RB/RWB tbh.

Agreed. Sarr would be a Prem CB if he wasn't so poor. NB so would I.

Is there a competition going for the most cretinous post?
  • Rhoys Wiggins has been released by Bournemouth. Would be ideal competition for page at LB

He’s retired due to his injury problems.