Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2018 transfer rumours

Comments

• sam3110 said:

thenewbie said:

serious question / when was the last time we signed someone on a deadline day ? Pre Duchâtelet?

It was on deadline day, 31 August 2017, when Robinson pulled a masterstroke in signing Joe Dodoo.

One thing LB has done is to have brought in experienced players in Prately & Ward.....even Cullen has played a few seasons in this league. KR brought in players like Mavidid, Dodoo & Kaikai who hadn't played much at this level & are raw. Even though I still don't think we'll get anywhere near the top 6 this season at least the last couple of weeks has guven me hope that we will finish around mid table - which I'd have bitten your hand off at the start of August.
    The squad with the addition of the injured lads looks good enough to me to make the playoffs this season with 41 games still to play. In fact I would go as far as to say that if we don’t get top six then Bowyer will have had an epic fail. The key is getting those injured players back and having a bit of luck with injuries. We must be due some.

I disagree somewhat. Just don't feel we have enough up front to challenge for a top 6 place.
    Taylor, Grant, Vetokele & Ajose. Not enough up front ?
    Not unless we can start providing quality service to them. Which with Fosu, Clarke and Ward coming in should be doable tbf.
    Taylor already has 3 goals with "no service" and Grant has 2. Vetokele has played about 40 mins of football and Ajose hasn't been played as a striker at all. IMO we won't have the top scorer in the league but we'll score a decent amount of goals. And that's without mentioning Ward.

Bauer, Pearce, Bielik, Sarr, Pratley all bring a lot of height as well and I think we'll get quite a few set piece goals, especially with quality dead ball delivery which Cullen should bring
    In the second half we looked dangerous from corners, which makes a pleasant change. England at the WC showed that even the top teams rely on set pieces
  • sam3110 said:

thenewbie said:

serious question / when was the last time we signed someone on a deadline day ? Pre Duchâtelet?

It was on deadline day, 31 August 2017, when Robinson pulled a masterstroke in signing Joe Dodoo.

One thing LB has done is to have brought in experienced players in Prately & Ward.....even Cullen has played a few seasons in this league. KR brought in players like Mavidid, Dodoo & Kaikai who hadn't played much at this level & are raw. Even though I still don't think we'll get anywhere near the top 6 this season at least the last couple of weeks has guven me hope that we will finish around mid table - which I'd have bitten your hand off at the start of August.
    The squad with the addition of the injured lads looks good enough to me to make the playoffs this season with 41 games still to play. In fact I would go as far as to say that if we don’t get top six then Bowyer will have had an epic fail. The key is getting those injured players back and having a bit of luck with injuries. We must be due some.

I disagree somewhat. Just don't feel we have enough up front to challenge for a top 6 place.
    Not unless we can start providing quality service to them. Which with Fosu, Clarke and Ward coming in should be doable tbf.
    Taylor already has 3 goals with "no service" and Grant has 2. Vetokele has played about 40 mins of football and Ajose hasn't been played as a striker at all. IMO we won't have the top scorer in the league but we'll score a decent amount of goals. And that's without mentioning Ward.

Bauer, Pearce, Bielik, Sarr, Pratley all bring a lot of height as well and I think we'll get quite a few set piece goals, especially with quality dead ball delivery which Cullen should bring
    In the second half we looked dangerous from corners, which makes a pleasant change. England at the WC showed that even the top teams rely on set pieces
    Top team?
  • serious question / when was the last time we signed someone on a deadline day ? Pre Duchâtelet?

If we don’t score enough goals I think it will be more down to the midfield not chipping in enough. We’ve had decent contributions from that area which shamed our strikers in recent times but without Holmes and JFC I’m not sure that who we’ve replaced them with are as prolific in terms of goals. There will however be more chances made for Taylor, Vetokele and Grant. I really don’t see Ajose featuring much once all the injured players are fit.

I'd like to think Aribo and Fosu would match or better Holmes and JFC goals tally.
  • Think Fosu will pay his way in terms of goals.
    If we can keep him on the pitch.
  • Think Fosu will pay his way in terms of goals.
    If we can keep him on the pitch.

On Monday morning, Jacko or Bow are going to take Fosu to one side - and have a quiet word. No doubt.

I don't think we'll see that reaction again from him.

• I don’t think anyone would argue with the suggestion that the Mark Marshall we have seen isn’t the Mark Marshall of Bradford’s playoff final defeat to the Scum where he was the best player on the pitch. That season wasn’t he Bradford’s player of the year ? He’s not so old and decrepit that he can’t get back to something like that form. I don’t think playing under Robinson and his strange inflexible system did MM any favours and it’s only since Bowyer took charge that Marshall has looked as if he’s on the comeback trail. The most telling point for me is that Bowyer made the point of saying that he wanted to retain Marshall and was very much in his plans. MM is a winger and by definition inconsistent but I certainly havn’t written him off for having an important contribution to make this season.

Charltonised.
  • Oggy Red said:

I don’t think anyone would argue with the suggestion that the Mark Marshall we have seen isn’t the Mark Marshall of Bradford’s playoff final defeat to the Scum where he was the best player on the pitch. That season wasn’t he Bradford’s player of the year ? He’s not so old and decrepit that he can’t get back to something like that form. I don’t think playing under Robinson and his strange inflexible system did MM any favours and it’s only since Bowyer took charge that Marshall has looked as if he’s on the comeback trail. The most telling point for me is that Bowyer made the point of saying that he wanted to retain Marshall and was very much in his plans. MM is a winger and by definition inconsistent but I certainly havn’t written him off for having an important contribution to make this season.

Didn't Mark Marshall play together with Josh Cullen at Bradford, that season?
    Billy Clarke was also in that team.

Cullen might be just the player to feed Marshall, as he did that season.
    I wouldn't write off Marshall just yet,

We had both Clarke and Marshall last season!
  • uie2 said:

Oggy Red said:

I don’t think anyone would argue with the suggestion that the Mark Marshall we have seen isn’t the Mark Marshall of Bradford’s playoff final defeat to the Scum where he was the best player on the pitch. That season wasn’t he Bradford’s player of the year ? He’s not so old and decrepit that he can’t get back to something like that form. I don’t think playing under Robinson and his strange inflexible system did MM any favours and it’s only since Bowyer took charge that Marshall has looked as if he’s on the comeback trail. The most telling point for me is that Bowyer made the point of saying that he wanted to retain Marshall and was very much in his plans. MM is a winger and by definition inconsistent but I certainly havn’t written him off for having an important contribution to make this season.

They've played barely 100 minutes together in the same lineup, over 2 matches.

Marshall was injured in pre-season and didn't make a 1st team appearance until right at the end of October, when he came on as sub to actually replace Billy Clarke.

Clarke was then injured and didn't return until the Pompey home defeat on December 9th; playing 75 minutes alongside Marshall before being subbed.

The next game, (away at Blackburn, Dec 16th), Clarke did his ACL subbed after 25 minutes - and hasn't played since, of course.

They did well together at Bradford - but we've not really seen them in the same team yet.
  • edited September 2018
    Oggy Red said:

uie2 said:

Oggy Red said:

Marshall was injured in pre-season and didn't make a 1st team appearance until right at the end of October, when he came on as sub to actually replace Billy Clarke.

Clarke was then injured and didn't return until the Pompey home defeat on December 9th; playing 75 minutes alongside Marshall before being subbed.

The next game, (away at Blackburn, Dec 16th), Clarke did his ACL subbed after 25 minutes - and hasn't played since, of course.

They did well together at Bradford - but we've not really seen them in the same team yet.
    Folk on the Bradford forum were not as enthusiastic as many of us. Mostly, their regard for Clarke was so poor that they were incredulous when he commanded a transfer fee. The loss of Marshall was more keenly debated. One Bradford fan said he was "an irritating little shit" - referring to a talent that promised more than it delivered.

• How far away from selection is Billy Clarke ?
  • Sponsored links:

• serious question / when was the last time we signed someone on a deadline day ? Pre Duchâtelet?

Not enough QUALITY up front. Taylor is half decent (of he can decide to stop looking to draw a foul & concentrate on going for the ball), Grant has pace but lacks composure in front of goal & Ajose is unlikely to be used as a striker imo. Vetokele is the only natural striker amongst them but I wonder if he is the player he was 4 years ago. Time will tell but I doubt they will get 40 goals between them........which they need to as the only player in our midfield who will score is Fosu
  • @golfaddick and where does Ward fit into all that? Or Aribo, who has shown he can score a range of goals and will be a prominent part of the first team squad when fit?
  • How far away from selection is Billy Clarke ?

Bowyer has said he expects Clarke to join 1st team training sometime during October.

On that basis, after such a long period out, I doubt if he would be ready to be named in a match day squad until November sometime.
  • edited September 2018

Not enough QUALITY up front. Taylor is half decent (of he can decide to stop looking to draw a foul & concentrate on going for the ball), Grant has pace but lacks composure in front of goal & Ajose is unlikely to be used as a striker imo. Vetokele is the only natural striker amongst them but I wonder if he is the player he was 4 years ago. Time will tell but I doubt they will get 40 goals between them........which they need to as the only player in our midfield who will score is Fosu
    Assuming Taylor, Vetokele and Grant stay fit and if they score thirty goals between them then I’m sure we will be in the top six. Add to that eight from Fosu. Six from Aribo and even 15 from all the others and I don’t think we’ll be struggling to challenge for a playoff.

Assuming Taylor, Vetokele and Grant stay fit and if they score thirty goals between them then I’m sure we will be in the top six. Add to that eight from Fosu. Six from Aribo and even ten from all the others and I don’t think we’ll be struggling to challenge for a playoff.

Agreed. I think Taylor will get at least 15 and Grant has 2 so far but with 40 games to go, he’d have to have a poor rest of the season to not get another 8.

As long as they stay fit, I don’t think we have much to worry about regarding our group of strikers.
  • Marshall was mentioned several times in terms of player recruitment. Wonder if he is getting involved in coaching.
  • Oggy Red said:

uie2 said:

Oggy Red said:

I know that they was both with us last season! But someone on here (can't remember who) was saying that Cullen played with Marshall and Clarke at Bradford last season! Or was he meaning it was the season before!?
  • uie2 said:

Oggy Red said:

uie2 said:

Oggy Red said:

I know that they was both with us last season! But someone on here (can't remember who) was saying that Cullen played with Marshall and Clarke at Bradford last season! Or was he meaning it was the season before!?
    The season before at Bradford ..... 2016-17.

• Sponsored links:

• Elliott Ward has signed for Notts County.
  • Ross Wallace has just signed for Fleetwood, they've got quite a good side there now,i reckon they could be challenging top six this season.
  • Oggy Red said:

uie2 said:

Oggy Red said:

Folk on the Bradford forum were not as enthusiastic as many of us. Mostly, their regard for Clarke was so poor that they were incredulous when he commanded a transfer fee. The loss of Marshall was more keenly debated. One Bradford fan said he was "an irritating little shit" - referring to a talent that promised more than it delivered.

I live near Bradford and the majority like Marshall for his work rate and effort. They really don't rate Clarke and most think he lacked a final ball a lot of the time. He also spent a bit of time out of position for them upfront.
  • Did I hear someone say that Scott golbourne is training with us ??
  • FAVADDICK said:

Did I hear someone say that Scott golbourne is training with us ??

Good call. Not sure what a transfer rumour is doing on the transfer rumour page though.
  • Hopefully he is, we are short on defensive options and he's played at or above this level for most of his career, and is only 30 years old, prime age for a defender
  • Only 30 so isnt too old and if we did sign and call upon him then it would be some more experience at the back

Quite liked him when he was @ Bristol City so would be happy with the signing if it happened
  • Played for nine clubs overall including loans. Hardly a glowing report but he’s also played at our level and above most of it. We do need cover so I would think as long as he’s motivated he should be ok at 30. In LB we trust I guess.
  • With Sarr as the only real cover at left back, we could be in trouble if Page got injured.
  • edited September 2018
    Redrobo said:

With Sarr as the only real cover at left back, we could be in trouble if Page got injured.

Bowyer did mention on Saturday that Page wasn't 100% fit or something, but with Sarr being the LB cover he couldn't rest him.