Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Summer 2018 transfer rumours

Comments

• Options

My view is Magennis is a much better player than what online Charlton fans generally portray, and why clubs in our league and league above have tried to sign him in the last two windows

Yes, I've not seen the same transfer interest around any of our other strikers (Ajose, KAG or even Igor)
  • Options

If Holmes if available on loan AND prepared to come back to L1 it's a no brainer to want to bring him back. At L1 level he's an excellent player, and there would be no problems in settling in etc

A lot depends on how Holmes feels, whether he'd want to come back or not. He might feel it a bit embarrassing to come back 6 months after leaving etc

It doesn't matter what Holmes feels......CL has spoken & thats all that matters. Sign him up....best player in League 1 and all that.

"sigh"
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

CafcSCP said:

Moo said:

Not too fussed about Josh Megennnis maybe going. Lovely guy, works so hard. Just misses so many chances. Anyone notice he almost missed the penalty in the Cambridge friendly?

Not until we have proper replacement. Already short on numbers
    Agree with this. Not particularly fussed on Magennis going but we're already desperately short of numbers, so i don't see how selling a striker to a rival is a good idea.

CafcSCP said:

Moo said:

Not too fussed about Josh Megennnis maybe going. Lovely guy, works so hard. Just misses so many chances. Anyone notice he almost missed the penalty in the Cambridge friendly?

Not until we have proper replacement. Already short on numbers
    Agree with this. Not particularly fussed on Magennis going but we're already desperately short of numbers, so i don't see how selling a striker to a rival is a good idea.
    If it gives you £300/400k to sign Tom Eaves, it would be good business.
    If we sell Magennis there is no chance that money will be reinvested, it's going to cover operating losses.

I'm with you @ross1, I'd be sad to see him go. I quite like him and on his day he's an absolute handful.
    Yes he can be a handful.....but so incredibly inconsistent.
    Gets himself into lots of good scoring positions but sadly, more often than not, fluffs his lines.
    His ‘one on ones’ record with the keeper are pretty dismal too.
  • Options
    I’d keep Magennis. Think he’ll be good this season under a manager who knows what he’s doing
  • Options
    Spot on ^^^^
  • Options

My view is Magennis is a much better player than what online Charlton fans generally portray, and why clubs in our league and league above have tried to sign him in the last two windows

Agree to an extent, I view him as a poor mans Leaburn.

He’s physically strong but his touch can be poor but players like him excel with the right partner up top with him and wingers who can get over decent crosses into the box ala Robinson & Newton.

The way we were set up until the back end of last season doesn’t play to his strengths. In the right set up and with better players around him he’s better than 10 goals a season. Maybe not 20 but high teens, in league 1.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

I’d like to see Magennis alongside Taylor, with Igor out I don’t see a better option at the moment.

Playing as a lone striker doesn’t suit him. He’ll be at his best in a partnership where the other striker is the main goal threat. Robinson’s slow build up play and reliance on wide players to score wonder goals again didn’t help either. Clarke was the only player who had any consistency playing in behind him, so he didn’t have any sort of partnership with the “number 10” after that point.

I’m not making excuses for his poor finishing but if he goes I won’t be surprised if another club gets more out of him.

It feels a bit like when we sold Iwelumo. He was seen as a 10 goal a season striker, not good enough, donkey and so on. Look how that season ended.

The title winning season wouldn’t have happened without Yann either. A decent target man should get 10 goals or so and add strength/height both up front and when defending set pieces. That’s something you won’t get from any other striker in the squad.

I’m not a fan of Magennis, but to back up your argument .... Olivier Giroud. World Cup winning centre forward. Zero World Cup goals. I rest your case.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Big Joshie - Decent for this level, would be hard to replace. Definitely not the main striker and wont get enough goals whatever system, but would be a good partner for Taylor this year if we can keep them together or even as a Wide forward/ Winger where he plays for Northern Ireland would be useful.

Keep but wouldn't be end of world if he leaves and replaced well.
  • Options
    edited July 2018

Big Joshie - Decent for this level, would be hard to replace. Definitely not the main striker and wont get enough goals whatever system, but would be a good partner for Taylor this year if we can keep them together or even as a Wide forward/ Winger where he plays for Northern Ireland would be useful.

So that’s keep then, as he wouldn’t be replaced well if he left
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

So that’s keep then, as he wouldn’t be replaced well if he left
    Pretty much sir :smiley:
  • Options

If Magennis was to leave then he simply has to be replaced. Taylor, Ajose and Grant won’t be strong enough in depth and who knows when Igor will play again, if he even does.

Replacing him with someone of equal ability won’t be cheap or easy. For me it makes far more sense to hold onto him.

I would still like to see a decent Prem loan up front as well.
  • Options
    I think the club will sell him. We can use the wages elsewhere
  • Options
    Moo said:

Taylor and Ajose then. I hope not.

• Options
    Taylor and KG ? We also have Clarke and Igor to come back.
  • Options
    Moo said:

Oh yeah international strikers are queuing round the block to play for disfunational, in takeover limbo, low paying Charlton Athletic.
  • Options
    Moo said:

Taylor and KG ? We also have Clarke and Igor to come back.

Vetokele wont play for us again. The “injury” will stretch out until the January Transfer window. He will end up on loan in Belgium until the end of the season and then leave at the end of his contract.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Series of tweets from kit launch Q&A with LB

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think he is the guy on the charlton FB group who seems to make up a far few rumours.
  • Options
    a mate of jonathan and colin
  • Options
    We tried to buy Dasilva? Can't believe that.