Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

F.A To sell Wembley Stadium

Comments

• Options
    If this is you ForeverAddickted, that is selling Wembley, why not use the money to buy this club :smiley:
  • Options
    I reckon they'll test the Jags playing a few home games in London and see how that goes. He's not buying a stadium to use it once a year.
  • Options
    Apologies if someone has raised this already. It seems pretty obvious to me that Fulham would move to Wembley freeing up prime real estate at Craven Cottage that will be worth hundreds of millions.
  • Options
    "The Football Association has received an offer, thought to be worth £800m, to sell Wembley Stadium"
    Patently not the same thing as: 'F.A To sell Wembley Stadium'

The halfwit rabble at the FA don't have the grey matter to make a rational decision on the issue and certainly won't allow 'the good of the game' to get in the way of what they do next. The decision will be made by whoever it is usually pays the FA to act.
    Khan is used to getting what he wants and only money talks at the FA. I wonder if he realises they're not allowed to open/close the roof after the crowd has arrived?
  • Options

"The Football Association has received an offer, thought to be worth £800m, to sell Wembley Stadium"
    Patently not the same thing as: 'F.A To sell Wembley Stadium'

The halfwit rabble at the FA don't have the grey matter to make a rational decision on the issue and certainly won't allow 'the good of the game' to get in the way of what they do next. The decision will be made by whoever it is usually pays the FA to act.
    Khan is used to getting what he wants and only money talks at the FA. I wonder if he realises they're not allowed to open/close the roof after the crowd has arrived?

I wonder if he realises that the roof doesn't close?
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

sam3110 said:

Interesting if true.

Not sure the NFL will be sustainable long term here in London, the current deal sees teams coming over for an exhibition of sorts, a Jags team playing here 8 times a year and losing 5 of those games isn't going to rake in capacity crowds

First of all how dare you

Second of all, it won't happen for the time being, at least. Shad is investing in the renovation of Everbank/TIAA Bank Field. Part of his statement to Fulham fans is quoted below:

"As you likely know, in addition to the privilege of serving as Chairman of Fulham Football Club, I am also owner of the Jacksonville Jaguars of the National Football League in the U.S. The Jaguars have played regular season home games at Wembley Stadium in each of the past five NFL seasons and will continue to do so at least through the 2020 season. The games the Jaguars play at Wembley are essential to the financial stability of the Jaguars in Jacksonville, which is one of the smallest markets in the NFL. If my ownership interests were to include Wembley Stadium, it would protect the Jaguars’ position in London at a time when other NFL teams are understandably becoming more interested in this great city. And the stronger the Jaguars are in London, the more stable and promising the Jaguars’ future will be in Jacksonville."

No NFL franchise in London - for a while, anyway.
    I was waiting for that one.
  • Options
    Tough one really, I just don’t trust The FA to utilize the money to warrant selling Wembley.

Honestly, I don’t think having a National stadium is that important. We’ve got 10 grounds already in this country which are world class stadiums.

Overall, I would probably sell it.
  • Options
    edited April 2018

PaddyP17 said:

sam3110 said:

Interesting if true.

Not sure the NFL will be sustainable long term here in London, the current deal sees teams coming over for an exhibition of sorts, a Jags team playing here 8 times a year and losing 5 of those games isn't going to rake in capacity crowds

Second of all, it won't happen for the time being, at least. Shad is investing in the renovation of Everbank/TIAA Bank Field. Part of his statement to Fulham fans is quoted below:

"As you likely know, in addition to the privilege of serving as Chairman of Fulham Football Club, I am also owner of the Jacksonville Jaguars of the National Football League in the U.S. The Jaguars have played regular season home games at Wembley Stadium in each of the past five NFL seasons and will continue to do so at least through the 2020 season. The games the Jaguars play at Wembley are essential to the financial stability of the Jaguars in Jacksonville, which is one of the smallest markets in the NFL. If my ownership interests were to include Wembley Stadium, it would protect the Jaguars’ position in London at a time when other NFL teams are understandably becoming more interested in this great city. And the stronger the Jaguars are in London, the more stable and promising the Jaguars’ future will be in Jacksonville."

I was waiting for that one.
    It was either that or the following (relatively NSFW):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjDeRBwO_7U
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

sam3110 said:

Interesting if true.

£500m on a stadium on another continent is a very expensive way of supporting an NFL team!

Tough one really, I just don’t trust The FA to utilize the money to warrant selling Wembley.

Honestly, I don’t think having a National stadium is that important. We’ve got 10 grounds already in this country which are world class stadiums.

Overall, I would probably sell it.

It'll still effectively be the National (football) Stadium anyway, I'm pretty sure the FA never owned the old Wembley Stadium?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Crown Jewels.
    there was a London Franchise many years ago (30) - and it failed - attendances were good to begin with for the novelty factor and then dwindled to next to nothing - why should it be any different this time around.

Not really a comparison tbh. The Monarchs were in a joke of a league - in comparison to the NFL, the World League and NFL Europe were the equivalent of the SE Counties League
  • Options
    English FA in sell out for the dosh shock
  • Options
    I think they would sell out 8 home games easily....the amount of interest in NFL in the UK is huge compared to 20 years ago.
  • Options
    This could be fantastic for the game though. FA Cup semis returning to league grounds, England on tour for friendlies. Whilst the FA are paying massive amounts for Wembley they have to use it for every conceivable event where the running costs aren't more expensive than renting a smaller venue (hence England age-group games still being played a league grounds).
  • Options
    Wembley has only been owned by the FA since 2000, so it going back into Private hands is the norm
  • Options

Crown Jewels.
    there was a London Franchise many years ago (30) - and it failed - attendances were good to begin with for the novelty factor and then dwindled to next to nothing - why should it be any different this time around.

Not really a comparison tbh. The Monarchs were in a joke of a league - in comparison to the NFL, the World League and NFL Europe were the equivalent of the SE Counties League
    Didn't NFL Europe only have four teams? London, Barcelona, Amsterdam and Frankfurt?
  • Options
    I'd be pissed if I was a Fulham fan, I'd be wanting that money to be spent on the team!
  • Options
    iaitch said:

Crown Jewels.

Didn't NFL Europe only have four teams? London, Barcelona, Amsterdam and Frankfurt?
    9 teams in total and Scotland had a team (I just looked it up)?! Who knew haha
  • Options
    I'm really surprised American sports are catching on in England (even if only slowly). The reason football is growing so fast in the US and everywhere is because its such an exciting sport, every goal matters and as a result every pass, tackle, penalty, corner, etc all matter a lot. In many American sports a goal or point scored means nothing, you'll see loads more that same game.

I'm shocked that making Wembley into a NFL venue on a more regular basis would be worth it for Khan, but I guess it must be! The buisness side of American sports is run very well so it must be a worthy investment?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    bobmunro said:

Apologies if someone has raised this already. It seems pretty obvious to me that Fulham would move to Wembley freeing up prime real estate at Craven Cottage that will be worth hundreds of millions.

He's said Fulham wouldn't be moving. (Just saying).
  • Options

I'm really surprised American sports are catching on in England (even if only slowly). The reason football is growing so fast in the US and everywhere is because its such an exciting sport, every goal matters and as a result every pass, tackle, penalty, corner, etc all matter a lot. In many American sports a goal or point scored means nothing, you'll see loads more that same game.

I'm shocked that making Wembley into a NFL venue on a more regular basis would be worth it for Khan, but I guess it must be! The buisness side of American sports is run very well so it must be a worthy investment?

Wembley hosts multiple events that aren't just the NFL - and that is where a lot of revenue would lie. Concerts, boxing matches, that sort of thing.
  • Options

Every single play, every single yard matters in the NFL a hell of a lot more than a pass or tackle does in football.
  • Options
    And now long have they been trying to 'flog' American Football to Brits ??? I can remember it starting in the 80's when Channel 4 launched - all of a sudden you had American Football teams springing up, and then they disappeared, and the hype died down because the majority of people in this country realised its a load of rubbish - just like Ice Tea (the drink not the rapper !!) they try and re-launch it again and again - but it's total crap as a sport compared to what we have already - if this fella thinks he can buy Wembley and shoe horn an American Football team in there and the masses will come - yeah right !!!
  • Options
    Give me American Football over established 'British' sports like Rugby and Cricket any day of the week
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    I hear Red Bull is gonna buy Wembley for £77.5M, then buy us, and move us there and change the name to Red Bull Wembley Athletic. They will convert The Valley to a larger car park, complete with fresh potholes.
  • Options
    Everything - literally everything - is for sale in the UK.

I thought that Wembley was supposed to be a National Stadium - what about the heritage of the game ?
  • Options
    Typical. First time we look like making Wembley in a squillion years and they go and flog it before we get there!

Bloody Charlton.
  • Options
    Blucher said:

Everything - literally everything - is for sale in the UK.

I thought that Wembley was supposed to be a National Stadium - what about the heritage of the game ?

$$$$£££€€€€