Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Roy Ayers live

edited April 2018 in Not Sports Related
Obviously a musical legend but have always come away seeing him a little disappointed in the many times I have seen him live in the past 25 years. Any experiences seeing him with acoustic vibes before that?

Comments

• Saw him do the full version of Poo poo lala at Ronnie Scotts was top draw
  • doobey do, run,run, run
  • Like you I have only seen him in recent years....... the band held him up but still glad I got to see him live, Not the same luck with Gil Scott Heron who " now showed" on the gig I turned up for
  • Seen him loads of times (over 20) always puts in a decent show.

Have all his original albums on vinyl (took me ages and cost me a fortune to collect them all).

• holyjo said:

Like you I have only seen him in recent years....... the band held him up but still glad I got to see him live, Not the same luck with Gil Scott Heron who " now showed" on the gig I turned up for

Wasn’t his dad the first black player for Celtic - or similar?
  • SE23 said:

Seen him loads of times (over 20) always puts in a decent show.

Have all his original albums on vinyl (took me ages and cost me a fortune to collect them all).

Have all the vinyl too just need lots of love. Have a reissue but want an original... So many great tunes from the man!
    Took me ages to find his first album (West Coast Vibes) from 1963. The album is about twice as thick as a normal LP and has no flex in it whatsoever. I’ve never even played it, although have it on CD as well.

Have got him to sign loads of stuff over the years, I must get around to framing some of it.

• SE23 said:

Obviously a musical legend but have always come away seeing him a little disappointed in the many times I have seen him live in the past 25 years. Any experiences seeing him with acoustic vibes before that?

Just wondering why you keep seeing him, if you come away disappointed every time.?
  • SE23 said:

SE23 said:

Have all the vinyl too just need lots of love. Have a reissue but want an original... So many great tunes from the man!
    Took me ages to find his first album (West Coast Vibes) from 1963. The album is about twice as thick as a normal LP and has no flex in it whatsoever. I’ve never even played it, although have it on CD as well.

Have got him to sign loads of stuff over the years, I must get around to framing some of it.

Wow never knew there where Roy fans here! Seen him probably over 20 times as well since about 1992.. Just wish I saw him in the 70's or earrly 80's before his best days were behind him! Always found him a bit full of him self the times I got to talk to him... But that's OK cos his his Polydor albums are some of the best records ever!
    I first saw him in ‘85 as part of the New York Jazz Explosion along with Jean Carne, Tom Browne and Lonnie Liston Smith, a cracking night.
  • SE23 said:

SE23 said:

Wow never knew there where Roy fans here! Seen him probably over 20 times as well since about 1992.. Just wish I saw him in the 70's or earrly 80's before his best days were behind him! Always found him a bit full of him self the times I got to talk to him... But that's OK cos his his Polydor albums are some of the best records ever!
    I first saw him in ‘85 as part of the New York Jazz Explosion along with Jean Carne, Tom Browne and Lonnie Liston Smith, a cracking night.
    Now that is a line up .....
  • holyjo said:

SE23 said:

SE23 said:

Now that is a line up .....
    Her silent smile still one of my favourite summer tunes . My wife and I exited the church at our wedding to George Benson’s Breezin
  • Sponsored links:

• Just remembered that my wife fell asleep during his set when we took my Dad to see him at Ronnie Scotts. We were sitting near the front, it was dark, warm and she'd had a couple of drinks. Looked around at her and she had her head back, eyes closed and mouth open. He must have thought "am I that boring" to himself.
  • Just remembered that my wife fell asleep during his set when we took my Dad to see him at Ronnie Scotts. We were sitting near the front, it was dark, warm and she'd had a couple of drinks. Looked around at her and she had her head back, eyes closed and mouth open. He must have thought "am I that boring" to himself.

He probably convinced himself that it was you who was that boring mate :wink:

Very true
  • I saw him when Gilles Peterson sneaked him on with a hired vibraphone at the Sunday afternoon session at Dingwalls (he was doing a residency at Ronnie Scott's at the time and wasn't strictly allowed to play at any other London venue) and it was bloody well ace. This would've been around 89-90.

Tickets there aren't cheap either....
  • Seen him a few times including at Blackheath concert halls quite a few years back.

He is the man, possibly only second to Donald Byrd.
  • Seen him a few times including at Blackheath concert halls quite a few years back.

He is the man, possibly only second to Donald Byrd.

I saw him at Blackheath too, would have been around 94/95. They sometimes have some decent acts on there. Seen Maceo Parker (saxophone player for James Brown’s band the JBs) a couple of times.
  • Seen Maceo a few times, as well as Fred Wesley, who brought on Pee Wee Ellis as a surprise guest. Hashtag jamesbrowntalk

And he would have been right.

And he would have been right.
    I’ve actually just remembered that I took her to Maceo Parker at the Town & Country Club not long after we met in 99. She fell asleep there too towards the end, although we had had a few by then.