Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Toronto

I couldnt see anything, so thought I'd post.

Sad news to wake up to.

Ten dead and more injured as a van mows down pedestrians. Lives destroyed and damaged because of the actions of an idiot. They, and their families, deserve better.

RIP to those murdered.

While nothing is being ruled out, the suggestion at the moment is that the motivation may be the same as that of a Californian man, who killed 6 last year, complaining that (because he had no success with the ladies) he was forced into involuntary celibacy. He was reported as shouting at the police to shoot him in the head before capture (perhaps similar to suicide by police cases).

Comments

• If that's the case, that is an incredibly stupid reason for murdering and injuring people, not that there's ever a good reason for murder.
  • The same "not getting laid" emotional issue probably accounts for 1/2 or more of ISIS and fundamentalist Islam, globally. Not to mention the priest-molestation issue the last few hundred years. Also witch-burning, The Inquisition, etc. Sexual entitlement, I believe, is the sub-cause of a lot of crap on this planet.

I agree with you on this. It's a serious point, difficult to have discussed publicly.

Could we add the invention of Facebook to your list, though? Half-seriously...

• The same "not getting laid" emotional issue probably accounts for 1/2 or more of ISIS and fundamentalist Islam, globally. Not to mention the priest-molestation issue the last few hundred years. Also witch-burning, The Inquisition, etc. Sexual entitlement, I believe, is the sub-cause of a lot of crap on this planet.

which is why female empowerment and equality is important for all.

And sex robots...
  • edited April 2018

The same "not getting laid" emotional issue probably accounts for 1/2 or more of ISIS and fundamentalist Islam, globally. Not to mention the priest-molestation issue the last few hundred years. Also witch-burning, The Inquisition, etc. Sexual entitlement, I believe, is the sub-cause of a lot of crap on this planet.

And sex robots...
    When sex robots free us from the tyranny of women mankind will be at peace and religious differences will be forgotten. They really are our great hope :-)
  • Mass Murder to sex robots in six comments. That got to be some sort of record.

But on the serious subject, how impressive was it that the police captured him without mowing him down in a hail of bullets.

Proper policing.

like managing to capture the killers of lee rigby alive when they came charging at armed police with knives and what looked like a gun.
    It's weird, it's almost like police in other countries can de-escalate serious, life or death situations. Whereas American police constantly escalate prosaic situation into deadly ones...
  • SDAddick said:

Mass Murder to sex robots in six comments. That got to be some sort of record.

But on the serious subject, how impressive was it that the police captured him without mowing him down in a hail of bullets.

Proper policing.

like managing to capture the killers of lee rigby alive when they came charging at armed police with knives and what looked like a gun.
    It's weird, it's almost like police in other countries can de-escalate serious, life or death situations. Whereas American police constantly escalate prosaic situation into deadly ones...
    Its a different culture and law enforcement face different challenges in different parts of the world. The officers in the Rigby murder and this attack done very well and I'm certain there's been similar situations in the States, where the suspect has been disarmed and arrested.
  • Sponsored links:

• SDAddick said:

Proper policing.

Its a different culture and law enforcement face different challenges in different parts of the world. The officers in the Rigby murder and this attack done very well and I'm certain there's been similar situations in the States, where the suspect has been disarmed and arrested.
    A fair point, and obviously we have guns in this country, a huge difference from Canada and the UK. But, de-escalation and disarming suspects just isn't prioritized here.
  • Would be interesting to see how many suspects are arrested with little to no injuries, compared to those who are killed and make international news.

Going on the theory of probability, I reckon there's gotta be a couple of hundred throughout the US per year, of offenders being apprehended without a shot being fired or injury being inflicted, let alone deaths
  • Interesting that this thread isn't 15 pages long by now. I wonder why that is?
  • SDAddick said:

Proper policing.

Likewise the (famous over here) case of Sammy Yatim in Toronto a few years ago, was the polar opposite of Monday's outcome

https://torontolife.com/city/the-killing-sammy-yatim/

There was even a fatal police shooting in my sleepy old town a few years ago.

I think this guy was lucky, or unlucky given his intentions to run into that particular cop.
  • Uboat said:

Interesting that this thread isn't 15 pages long by now. I wonder why that is?

• PJW can't stop owning himself, can he?
  • Leuth said:

PJW can't stop owning himself, can he?

Which is surprising when you think how much Brain Force Plus he consumes.
  • Would be interesting to see how many suspects are arrested with little to no injuries, compared to those who are killed and make international news.

Going on the theory of probability, I reckon there's gotta be a couple of hundred throughout the US per year, of offenders being apprehended without a shot being fired or injury being inflicted, let alone deaths

Well the recent Waffle House shooter was apprehended without use of force.

As was terrorist Dylan Roof. They even offered to take him him to Burger King on the way to the station.

But then you have Tamir Rice, Eric Garner, Stephon Clark, Philando Castile, Anthony Lamar Smith, Michael Brown.

The former are known killers believed to be armed. The latter were neither. And there's one other difference I can't quite put my finger on...
  • Were black officers involved in any of those shootings?
  • Were black officers involved in any of those shootings?

No.
  • Sponsored links:

• Seems one avenue of investigation is that the van driver is whats known as an "incel"

Involuntarily Celibate

Look it up. I genuinely fear for this world! A dweeb who can't get a date thinks it is better to go kill people than to, you know, fit in with society. It's a lot more detailed than that but my god what is this world coming to.
  • Swisdom said:

Seems one avenue of investigation is that the van driver is whats known as an "incel"

Involuntarily Celibate

Look it up. I genuinely fear for this world! A dweeb who can't get a date thinks it is better to go kill people than to, you know, fit in with society. It's a lot more detailed than that but my god what is this world coming to.

It's normal for inadequates to do terrible things. What's weird with the incels is that they're so open about it. As you say though, the more you find out the stranger it gets.