Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Our fans today

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2018

One of my work colleagues is a pompey season ticket holder, he messaged me last night and said our fans were awesome today, the best and loudest they had seen all season.

That's great hope a few of the knuckleheads that go and prevent others from attending were not there....apart from the idiot with the flares.

Didnt get patted down or anything .
    I was, perhaps he didnt fancy you!
  • Options
    Halix said:

One of my work colleagues is a pompey season ticket holder, he messaged me last night and said our fans were awesome today, the best and loudest they had seen all season.

That's great hope a few of the knuckleheads that go and prevent others from attending were not there....apart from the idiot with the flares.

There was a massive pat down operation when I went in, including the older fans, so I’m amazed people managed to smuggle in flares. A bit worried where they hid them actually!
  • Options
    Uboat said:

Wasnt there but no doubt support was amazing.Every one is now needed at the valley against Blackburn.No excuses,forget RD this game should override everything else,especially as our beloved JJ will hopefully say a few words.

We don’t need everyone, just the two thousand four hundred that were at Portsmouth to be standing together...
    I was thinking that earlier. There was the comment yesterday from a Pompey fan along the lines of 'great support, but where were you at the Valley'. Although I like the Covered End I don't think two tiers helps with the atmosphere. In the cup qf at Bramall Lane I couldn't hear if/ what the top tier was singing, so you lose something.
    No idea what the answer is.
    The problem is those that want to make a noise usually tend to sit together whereas yesterday they were spread out across the stand and the rest of us joined in. When we first got back to the Valley 25 years ago and you basically took what seats were available the atmosphere was cracking but then as the new stands were opened the club had the wheeze of moving the singers together and although in the PL days the atmosphere was generally OK it had lost the extra bit of everybody joining in (except for the we sent the palace down game). Close the upper north next Saturday (tell them it’s got mice or something) and make them fill the gaps in the covered end (lower north to the uninitiated), that should crank up the atmosphere several notches
  • Options

Uboat said:

Wasnt there but no doubt support was amazing.Every one is now needed at the valley against Blackburn.No excuses,forget RD this game should override everything else,especially as our beloved JJ will hopefully say a few words.

We don’t need everyone, just the two thousand four hundred that were at Portsmouth to be standing together...
    I was thinking that earlier. There was the comment yesterday from a Pompey fan along the lines of 'great support, but where were you at the Valley'. Although I like the Covered End I don't think two tiers helps with the atmosphere. In the cup qf at Bramall Lane I couldn't hear if/ what the top tier was singing, so you lose something.
    No idea what the answer is.
    The problem is those that want to make a noise usually tend to sit together whereas yesterday they were spread out across the stand and the rest of us joined in. When we first got back to the Valley 25 years ago and you basically took what seats were available the atmosphere was cracking but then as the new stands were opened the club had the wheeze of moving the singers together and although in the PL days the atmosphere was generally OK it had lost the extra bit of everybody joining in (except for the we sent the palace down game). Close the upper north next Saturday (tell them it’s got mice or something) and make them fill the gaps in the covered end (lower north to the uninitiated), that should crank up the atmosphere several notches
    We should really be filling up the upper and lower north.
  • Options
    I’m thinking of switching to upper north stand next Sat to join in with singing

Which blocks should I buy for again?
  • Options

Halix said:

There was a massive pat down operation when I went in, including the older fans, so I’m amazed people managed to smuggle in flares. A bit worried where they hid them actually!
    We just got a quick pocket pat and we were in, thought it was particularly poor if they were trying to find anything
  • Options

I’m thinking of switching to upper north stand next Sat to join in with singing

Which blocks should I buy for again?

North upper J Block at the back.
  • Options
    The ‘w@nker in the black’ even seemed impressed by our support. Loved it.
  • Options

Halix said:

Went to Wimbledon last year and anyone who went to that game will tell you how many times we had to show our ticket, got searched before we went in. To my amazement a guy next to me drank about 4 cans of fosters during the match. When i asked him how the hell he got them in, he just showed me his jacket which had about 10 pockets in and was adapted to put things in the back of his jacket in the lining..
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    J BLOCK said:

Best atmosphere ever experienced at any game, loved the smoke bombs, keep them up.

Why not do it yourself?

Oh, and don't moan if you get a lifetime ban, and a criminal record...
  • Options
    Pompey fans saying it’s the best away support they’ve ever seen, fantastic day even had a pit stop in Havant on way back what a hole that place is, pompey we’re just not up for the game, the smokes I saw one of the blokes that had them and he must of been 40+, great result we go again next Saturday!!! COYR
  • Options
    The flares yep a bit annoying but seriously get over it no one died or was close to because of them
  • Options

The flares yep a bit annoying but seriously get over it no one died or was close to because of them

How about the fact it's illegal and could send the perpetrator to prison for three months without even letting it off.
  • Options

Oh don’t be so bloody stupid, I went to watch Charlton not be choked by acrid smoke, it wasn’t pleasant and wasn’t necessary
  • Options
    I've been following Charlton away since 1975 & seen us at about 100 grounds.
    Yesterday, was without doubt the best vocal support we have ever given the team.
    Literally non stop singing from before the start to after the finish. Truly magnificent.

PS I'd disagree with a few of the posts about the drummer.
    I believe it was so good because there was no drummer for some time and everyone could start their own song, without having to rely on the drummer starting everything. I started "we are Charlton Covered End" and there is no way we would have sung that if the drummer had started it, because you can't start drumming for songs like that.
    Just like Goodbye Horse and many other great songs, we can't really sing these days.

It would be an interesting experiment if the drummer allowed the fans to sing, because we are capable and yesterday for me proved it.
  • Options

Don't believe you would be so blase about them if you had the misfortune to be an asthma sufferer.
  • Options
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jPnYCUOc40o Well done all you lot that went, found this video and sounds very loud especially at the end!

• Options

Halix said:

I got nothing - maybe because there was noone there to pat me down - just walked straight in.
  • Options

Oh don’t be so bloody stupid, I went to watch Charlton not be choked by acrid smoke, it wasn’t pleasant and wasn’t necessary
    Yeah I'm in two minds about it, it looks good and adds to the atmosphere but obviously it's not very safe and can ruin someone's day a bit. All well and good when you are out of the way from it, but if it ruined my coat etc I wouldn't be happy either.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If you're gonna throw flares - dont throw them at our goalkeeper !!
  • Options

At the Gillingham game at Priestfield, they were thrown at the Gills keeper.

Do you think that's better, then?

Personally, I was taught not to throw explosive pyrotechnics at anyone.
  • Options

They took one look at my balding, greying pate and waved me on.
  • Options

I don't think smoke canisters are explosive or pyrotechnic but I agree they shouldn't be thrown. At the Marseille - Leipzig game I was at two weeks ago, there were quite a few actual flares but people held on to them instead of throwing them and no one gave a monkeys.
  • Options

I don't think smoke canisters are explosive or pyrotechnic but I agree they shouldn't be thrown. At the Marseille - Leipzig game I was at two weeks ago, there were quite a few actual flares but people held on to them instead of throwing them and no one gave a monkeys.
    Which means nothing. Maybe it's not illegal in France. It is in England.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

How about the fact it's illegal and could send the perpetrator to prison for three months without even letting it off.

To the 1st comment that’s the idiot that brings them in’s problem, 2nd point complain to the club it’s after every time there let off we have the comments on them, won’t change anything for the record I don’t think there great as the chanting for 90 mins gave us enough of a good atmosphere.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    The fans were brilliant and making points about flares shouldn't take anything away from that. But the point has to be made that somebody could get hurt and that potentially could have taken the shine from a great day. Also, fans wanting to take younger sons or daughters to an away game may think again. Being a football fan doesn't excuse you from having responsibilities to your fellow fans and others.

But only one or two morons threw the flares - the rest of the fans were simply fantastic.
  • Options

The fans were brilliant and making points about flares shouldn't take anything away from that. But the point has to be made that somebody could get hurt and that potentially could have taken the shine from a great day. Also, fans wanting to take younger sons or daughters to an away game may think again. Being a football fan doesn't excuse you from having responsibilities to your fellow fans and others.

But only one or two morons threw the flares - the rest of the fans were simply fantastic.

Except the fan(s) who attacked the female steward...
  • Options

a lot of ifs could of happened but they didn't, the steward being treated is likely on a claim up, Pompey fans were very quiet was expecting more tbh, a lot of us are breaking boycotts this weekend to attend. roll on will be in the swan for 12.
  • Options
    edited April 2018

Except the fan(s) who attacked the female steward...
    I was watching this go on from where I was standing (more central and near the back) and to me this whole incident looked totally unnecessary and was started by what seemed to be an over zealous steward trying to make a point at a charlton fan standing on a seat and celebrating. It then looked like the female steward (who seemed of a size that could handle herself and dish it out) decided to get involved and tried to grab the charlton fan and got pulled back over the fence as he retreated (i May well have totally misread the whole situation but that’s how it looked to me from what I saw and from where I was).