Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Nathan Jones - sacked by Southampton (p12)

Comments

• Bowyer is a man who wants his players (and gets his players) to run through walls for him. Some of the egos at these failed premier league clubs appear to me as so 'un-Bowyer' that he knows he would not get what he expected and in turn would be to his detriment. 

What he, JJ and Gallen have built, with such constrictions is masterful. He must feel such an ownership of this batch that emulating that anywhere else would be near impossible surely? 
  • Jones at Stoke is a prime example of the Peter Principle, a common condition amongst football managers .. but of course, you never know how incompetent you are until you are over-promoted 
  • PopIcon said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Remember, Lee himself says, it's all about "building something here" and "we're on a journey together".

Bowyer won't get given the time to build anything, anywhere else mid-season. 
    Instant results would be expected or he's quickly out on his ear, like anyone else.

He knows that. And he's not going to dump everything he's building here in exchange for a game of roulette.

Of course Bowyer wants to build something while he is with us. However, just like anyone else he wants a decent pound note.

I know for a fact he had an interview with a fellow Championship club during the summer.
    Utter nonsense ! I know for a fact he never did.
  • Jones at Stoke is a prime example of the Peter Principle, a common condition amongst football managers .. but of course, you never know how incompetent you are until you are over-promoted 
    Nathan Jones is not a bad manager by any means, he has a squad that can't finish and a keeper in Jack Butland that's given away tons of points already
  • PopIcon said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Remember, Lee himself says, it's all about "building something here" and "we're on a journey together".

Instant results would be expected or he's quickly out on his ear, like anyone else.

He knows that. And he's not going to dump everything he's building here in exchange for a game of roulette.

Of course Bowyer wants to build something while he is with us. However, just like anyone else he wants a decent pound note.

I know for a fact he had an interview with a fellow Championship club during the summer.
    Ok, I'll bite. Which club? 
  • Bailey said:
    PopIcon said:
    Oggy Red said:

Utter nonsense ! I know for a fact he never did.
    I know for a fact he may or may not of had an interview with a Championship Club over the summer.
  • PopIcon said:
    Oggy Red said:

Imaginationland FC.
  • Good news for Stoke is that Norwich may bid for Butland if the price is right.
  • iaitch said:
    Good news for Stoke is that Norwich may bid for Butland if the price is right.
    Outside the window ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Good point, maybe for the new year then.
  • Before Stoke even think about replacing Nathan Jones they need to work out if it is Jones thats the problem

All too often in Football these days people seem to think that the buck stops with the Management team whilst the players (who remain) get off scott free

We've seen before where (shockingly!!) a Manager gets replaced and performances dont improve because it is the players who cant be arsed!!
  • Uncanny the amount of sides, including ours who drop not once but twice because of Billy Big Bollocks on board that can't be arsed.
  • PopIcon said:
    Oggy Red said:

Wasn't it rumoured that he spoke to Derby? 
  • edited August 2019
    I doubt it is Jones that is the problem. He has players that ought to be amongst the best in the league, but the factors that allowed them to fail before he was appointed will remain. He has probably been guilty of giving them a chance given their levels but probably didn't have much of a choice. I'm sure a lower league club will snap him up and allow him to build a side rather than get the best out of an existing side that is on the slide and hasn't hit the bottom yet. 
  • I doubt it is Jones that is the problem. He has players that ought to be amongst the best in the league, but the factors that allowed them to fail before he was appointed will remain. He has probably been guilty of giving them a chance given their levels but probably didn't have much of a choice. I'm sure a lower league club will snap him up and allow him to build a side rather than get the best out of an existing side that is on the slide and hasn't hit the bottom yet. 
    Don't forget Jones has brought in plenty of players as well, so it's not as if he's got the same squad that went down. Most of his signings were "EFL" type players that you'd expect to be scrapping, e.g. 2 from Barnsley, Powell from Wigan, Gregory from Millwall, Cousins, Duffy from Sheffield United etc

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019%E2%80%9320_Stoke_City_F.C._season#Transfers

One massive blow was the injury to Shawcross. Without him, and the off form Butland, their defensive spine is significantly poorer
  • PopIcon said:
    Oggy Red said:

Swansea City.
  • Derby spoke to Bowyer at least once in the summer. 
  • edited August 2019
    I know how many hate anything statistical, but Stoke currently is under-performing compared to xG more than any other club. They are not doing great, but it may be down partially to bad luck. I say stick with him and let things sort out. PS- Note that we are most over-performing, after Swansea.

• Sponsored links:

• edited August 2019
    I know how many hate anything statistical, but Stoke currently is under-performing compared to xG more than any other club. They are not doing great, but it may be down partially to bad luck. I say stick with him and let things sort out. PS- Note that we are most over-performing, after Swansea.

Totally meaningless twaddle based on some individual's personal projections.
    :D
    Lampard left derby after bowyer signed a contract here. Is it normal for clubs to talk to other managers despite having one under contract? I appreciate that it was obvious lampard was going
  • I know how many hate anything statistical, but Stoke currently is under-performing compared to xG more than any other club. They are not doing great, but it may be down partially to bad luck. I say stick with him and let things sort out. PS- Note that we are most over-performing, after Swansea.

I asked this on another thread but never got a reply.......please can someone explain what "expected goals" means. I see it on MOTD & it completely baffles me.
    Lampard left derby after bowyer signed a contract here. Is it normal for clubs to talk to other managers despite having one under contract? I appreciate that it was obvious lampard was going
    Of course it is. Lampard was under contract at Derby for example

Bowyer could sign a 3 year deal tomorrow, but it wouldn't stop a club coming in for him, any more than say Ben Puttington being targetted in January despite having 2 years on his contract
  • I know how many hate anything statistical, but Stoke currently is under-performing compared to xG more than any other club. They are not doing great, but it may be down partially to bad luck. I say stick with him and let things sort out. PS- Note that we are most over-performing, after Swansea.

I asked this on another thread but never got a reply.......please can someone explain what "expected goals" means. I see it on MOTD & it completely baffles me.
    Expected goals is the chance of scoring. Its out of 1. For example, striker right in front of an open goal, xG will basically be 1. Striker at a dodgy angle 15 yards away, xG will be 0.1

It's calculated by analysing thousands of shots and goals to see the likelyhood of scoring. A striker with a lower xG to goals scored means they are over performing. Pukki last year had an xG lower than his actual tally, meaning he scored more than he should have. 

It's one of these stats (created by OPTA I'd guess) which works out the expected goals a team should score in a match based on the chances you have and the quality of them. If an opposing keeper has a worldy then your expected goals figure will be higher than the actual one. Whereas if your only goal comes from a defensive howler (e.g. the Sarr/Phillips og) then it will be lower.

• Addickted said:
    The only stat that matters though is the ACTUAL number of goals scored.
    That and the number of pages, views and posts on the takeover thread.
  • Jack Butland scored the winning penalty for Stoke tonight

Beating Leeds