Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Nathan Jones - sacked by Southampton (p12)

Comments

• I expected them to lose to Leeds, but not in that way. It's all gone horribly wrong there, massive issues with the lack of motivation and togetherness.

While the fans and owners will still be expecting promotion, relegation is now far more likely, the owners have a massive decision to make
  • Nathan is finished at Stoke - should have stayed at Luton.
  • se9addick said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Bowyer won't just dump everyone and everything he's building here at Charlton .... just to go to Stoke.

He won't want to move his family either, settled in Kent.

Really? Bowyer has left us before for a bigger club and he’ll leave us again, neither time will he be to blame.
    He will eventually but it’ll be to a better job than Stoke. He’s no doubt made a lot of money as a player, has changed as a person as he’s got older and on a decent wage with us as manager. Completely different situation compared to when he left us as a teenager.
  • As with all managers, as success comes on the pitch so his stock will rise. It will eventually get to a point where a lot of clubs looking for a new manager will run the rule over Bowyer. I think I agree that it will take a club bigger and better placed than Stoke to attract Bowyer away for the time being but unless Charlton can match his ambition long to medium he will at some point be tempted away. Let’s just hope that while we have him he can deliver success and dare I say it get us back in the PL.
  • Bowyer won't go Stoke. He is building something special here and knows his job is safe. The only job that might tempt him would be Leeds if it ever came up. 
  • Rudders22 said:
    Bowyer won't go Stoke. He is building something special here and knows his job is safe. The only job that might tempt him would be Leeds if it ever came up. 
    Leeds would be too tempting for him but to say “only” is at best doubtful.
  • Scoham said:
    se9addick said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Bowyer won't just dump everyone and everything he's building here at Charlton .... just to go to Stoke.

Really? Bowyer has left us before for a bigger club and he’ll leave us again, neither time will he be to blame.
    He will eventually but it’ll be to a better job than Stoke. He’s no doubt made a lot of money as a player, has changed as a person as he’s got older and on a decent wage with us as manager. Completely different situation compared to when he left us as a teenager.
    It’s pretty similar - he’s young and a good prospect but we have a very limited budget compared with other clubs around us and certainly compared to the league above, basically the same scenario as when he left us as a player. 

He’s left us for a better opportunity before and he will do the same again when the time comes, which might not be too far away. 
  • Rudders22 said:
    Bowyer won't go Stoke. He is building something special here and knows his job is safe. The only job that might tempt him would be Leeds if it ever came up. 
    If Bielsa is there, he won't go to Leeds
  • Rudders22 said:
    Only job?

So if a premier league side wanted him you don't think he'd be tempted to go?
  • Sponsored links:

• Rudders22 said:
    Safe? He almost didn’t have a contract for this season a couple of months ago and only has nine months left on his current deal!
  • Rudders22 said:
    The experience of Nathan Jones will surely put off any up and coming managers. Stoke looks like a tough job with a high chance of failure
  • edited August 2019
    se9addick said:
    Rudders22 said:
    Safe? He almost didn’t have a contract for this season a couple of months ago and only has nine months left on his current deal!

I thought he had a 1 year rolling contract, which means tht he has always got 1 year left.

• Thought Bowyer was now on a one year rolling contract.
  • Rudders22 said:
    Leeds, Newcastle or west ham
  • alangee said:
    se9addick said:
    Rudders22 said:

I thought he had a 1 year rolling contract, which means tht he has always got 1 year left.

Thought Bowyer was now on a one year rolling contract.
    Presumably that means it can be terminated on a specified notice period prior to the anniversary of the contract, so the maximum guaranteed term remaining is 9 months?

Nothing like having a “normal” 2 or 3 year deal.
  • CH4RLTON said:
    Rudders22 said:
    Leeds, Newcastle or west ham
    I think there are probably more than three managerial jobs “that might tempt him”.
  • If any Premier League club came calling I think it would be very difficult for Bowyer to say no. Having said that there are probably only a certain number of PL clubs that would do so. Even relegation threatened clubs would offer a huge increase in salary and with the promise of parachute payments. Let’s hope he can work a miracle with us and have a Charlton career something like Curbs did.
  • Contracts are meaningless anyway. Bowyer could be on a 3 year contract, but if a PL (or a rich Championship) club wanted him they'd pay it off
  • edited August 2019
    Premier league job and I think he’d take it 
    Think he would love the Leeds job too.

Apart from that I think we’re pretty safe, if he wasn’t happy here he’d have taken one of the numerous opportunities to do so in the summer. I mean the guy wouldn’t even leave when he was being forced out.
  • Sponsored links:

• CH4RLTON said:
    Rudders22 said:
    Leeds, Newcastle or west ham.

Newcastle fans love him more for keeping Sunderland in L1 than his playing spell at SJP. 
  • se9addick said:
    alangee said:
    se9addick said:
    Rudders22 said:

Presumably that means it can be terminated on a specified notice period prior to the anniversary of the contract, so the maximum guaranteed term remaining is 9 months?

I thought it meant he always has a year left on his contract.
  • I hadn’t realised it was a rolling one year deal.
  • We just have to hope that in the not too distant future, ie while Bowyer is still here, we do get a new owner. Confident that if he saw some ambition he'd be happy to stay and build on it. Imagine there's only so long he'll be content with doing a Del Boy (virtually) every transfer window and having "avoid relegation" as the season's objective. 
  • He’s definitely enjoying it. To be honest I think he relishes the challenge even more cos of Roland. 

Would be very surprised if he leaves this season, but wouldn’t rule it out next summer. I can see Newcastle needing a manager at least once, possibly before Christmas. 
  • Remember, Lee himself says, it's all about "building something here" and "we're on a journey together".

Bowyer won't get given the time to build anything, anywhere else mid-season. 
    Instant results would be expected or he's quickly out on his ear, like anyone else.

He knows that. And he's not going to dump everything he's building here in exchange for a game of roulette.

• edited August 2019
    se9addick said:
    alangee said:
    se9addick said:
    Rudders22 said:

I thought it meant he always has a year left on his contract.
    No, normally a rolling term contrasts with a “guillotine” term which ends on a specific date unless renewed. A rolling term renews for another term (12 months I guess in this case) unless terminated upon a specific date (normally a prior of time prior to the anniversary of the agreement). 

No idea on the specifics of Bowyer’s deal, but if it’s a normal rolling contract then it’s not really accurate to say he always has a year left at any time. 
  • se9addick said:
    Scoham said:
    se9addick said:
    Oggy Red said:

It’s pretty similar - he’s young and a good prospect but we have a very limited budget compared with other clubs around us and certainly compared to the league above, basically the same scenario as when he left us as a player. 

He’s left us for a better opportunity before and he will do the same again when the time comes, which might not be too far away. 
    I agree he’ll leave eventually but I don’t see many Championship clubs being able to tempt him
    away.

As a player they go to bigger clubs and learn from better managers, coaches and train alongside better players. As a manager he’s expected to go and do a good job straight away and if not he’ll be sacked.

I think he’ll at least want to see where we end up this season.

When he left as a player the money probably changed his life, he also didn’t have a young family to think about. There’s no worry about missing your chance to move if you get a bad injury either.
  • Oggy Red said:
    Remember, Lee himself says, it's all about "building something here" and "we're on a journey together".

Bowyer won't get given the time to build anything, anywhere else mid-season. 
    Instant results would be expected or he's quickly out on his ear, like anyone else.

He knows that. And he's not going to dump everything he's building here in exchange for a game of roulette.

Of course Bowyer wants to build something while he is with us. However, just like anyone else he wants a decent pound note.

I know for a fact he had an interview with a fellow Championship club during the summer.