Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Nathan Jones - sacked by Southampton (p12)

Comments

• Options
    I suspect a loss on Saturday v Leeds could be the end. The fans will be after his blood and Chairman don’t often decide to ride out the storm. 
  • Options
    It doesn't bode well for him, if he's losing the dressing room.

At Luton, he built a tight knit group of players hungry to prove themselves.
    And they have.

With Stoke, many of his squad have already played at the top two levels, no doubt handsomely paid -  and perhaps take for granted their careers and the trappings that go with it.

He needs to once again build a tight knit group of players hungry to prove themselves.
    If he's got a communication problem at Stoke, it may already be too late.

• Options
    That Bananarama song doesn't help either
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    I agree Oggy. It will take a couple of seasons to weed out those players he doesn't want and bring in players that he does. He won’t have the luxury of that while Stoke are languishing in a relegation spot or even near it. Bizarrely a relegation would do the job for him and mean a complete overhaul but that would also bring its own set of problems as we know.  
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    cabbles said:
    Butland looks awful.

Strange situation at Stoke.  Good owners who don't sack managers easily and who I class very much in the decent end of the scale when it comes to custodians of their club, but something seems to be a bit off up there in recent years.  A sort of malaise similar to what we had when we lost Curbs.  Seem to have lost direction 
    They decided Pulis had taken them as far as he could just like we did with Curbs.

'Big Name' Mark Hughes was unable to improve them and if anything they got worse and the wheels came off.

Bournemouth will do it with Eddie Howe before too long as will Burnley with Dyche.

All similar size clubs to Charlton yet they don't learn the lessons of our decline.
    Under Hughes, Stoke finished 9th, 9th, 9th and 13th.

It was only after a poor start in his next season that he was sacked. Yes the wheels came off eventually but it's harsh to say he didn't improve them, as 9th was their highest finish for about 50 years.
    9th should be seen as a bloody good placing in the Premier League

Especially as now you've got Leicester | Wolves | West Ham | Everton who pretty much occupy 6th down to 10th
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    cabbles said:
    Butland looks awful.

Strange situation at Stoke.  Good owners who don't sack managers easily and who I class very much in the decent end of the scale when it comes to custodians of their club, but something seems to be a bit off up there in recent years.  A sort of malaise similar to what we had when we lost Curbs.  Seem to have lost direction 
    They decided Pulis had taken them as far as he could just like we did with Curbs.

'Big Name' Mark Hughes was unable to improve them and if anything they got worse and the wheels came off.

Bournemouth will do it with Eddie Howe before too long as will Burnley with Dyche.

All similar size clubs to Charlton yet they don't learn the lessons of our decline.
    Under Hughes, Stoke finished 9th, 9th, 9th and 13th.

It was only after a poor start in his next season that he was sacked. Yes the wheels came off eventually but it's harsh to say he didn't improve them, as 9th was their highest finish for about 50 years.
    Agree, Hughes tried to make Stoke more attractive by bringing in foreign players with flair plus some hard British players who could stand up and be counted. Hughes has a patchy Management record but bar the last season he was there did a good job at Stoke compared to recent times 

Pulis is the polar opposite to that and plays a very negative brand of football. 

• Options
    Butland dropped today
  • Options
    Stoke 0 Leeds 3. Don't see Jones being given much longer.
  • Options
    Ouch
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    wholesale changes from Jones today .. and another hammering .. he is on very very thin ice
  • Options
    Has 2 away games this week - Leeds in the cup, then Birmingham in the league. 

If i was the Stoke owner i'd probably give him next saturday to try turn it round, then if not get a new man in over the international break.
  • Options
    Butland dropped today
    Understandable
  • Options
    keeper Federici who's no mug had a very good game .. but Leeds on the break ! .. murderous, Stoke were ripped apart .. https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/competitions/championship/11793199/stoke-0-3-leeds
  • Options
    keeper Federici who's no mug had a very good game .. but Leeds on the break ! .. murderous, Stoke were ripped apart .. https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/competitions/championship/11793199/stoke-0-3-leeds
    Shows how good Leeds are when Nketiah is only getting on as a late sub each game. He'd probably be a certain starter for at least 20 sides in our division.
  • Options
    Shows how good Leeds are when Nketiah is only getting on as a late sub each game. He'd probably be a certain starter for at least 20 sides in our division.
    Who are the 4 he wouldnt.

Leeds
    Charlton
    And who else
  • Options
    That’s Bielsa all over though. Until he has got up to speed of how he wants them to play and the level of fitness required to play up front on his own, Nketiah won’t be playing until what’s likely to be earliest middle of September. He will play midweek on the cup and probably score, then he waits for his chance in the league. All the while Leeds are top and winning games, Bielsa won’t change the team.
  • Options
    That 2nd Leeds goal was almost the same as our Wembley equaliser.

Watch the build up and their number 9 passing Taylor-esque across the face of the goal.
    Could have been Purrington sweeping the ball into the net! :smile:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2019
    Sage said:
    That’s Bielsa all over though. Until he has got up to speed of how he wants them to play and the level of fitness required to play up front on his own, Nketiah won’t be playing until what’s likely to be earliest middle of September. He will play midweek on the cup and probably score, then he waits for his chance in the league. All the while Leeds are top and winning games, Bielsa won’t change the team.
    also, Bamford after years of 'promise', flattering to deceive and interminable loans, is coming good .. he's matured at last and Bielsa has got him playing just how we wants .. I can't wait for the Leeds game at the Valley .. could be a minor (or even major) classic ((:>)
  • Options

Leeds
    Charlton
    And who else
    If we'd signed him he'd be starting ahead of Leko.

20 was just a rough guess though, but i'd say Leeds (obviously) and Fulham for definite.
  • Options
    I think Birmingham next Saturday will be the decisive game. Lose that and you can see them making the change during the international break period
  • Options

Leeds
    Charlton
    And who else
    If we'd signed him he'd be starting ahead of Leko.

If we had been able to sign Nketiah, we wouldn't have needed to bring in Leko. 

• Options
    Oh dear. Nathan Jones is not in a good place, is he?

Rule One: Don't blame your players in public. 
    Keep it behind walls at the training ground.

"Stoke City boss Nathan Jones questioned the mentality of his players after seeing his side suffer a fourth defeat of the Championship season at home to leaders Leeds United, who continued their unbeaten start to the campaign.

"I'm a brave manager and we believe we will turn it around but the players have to show responsibility as well," said Jones.

"It seems when something goes against them they mentally go. When the first goal went in we seemed to lose all the belief that we tried to instill in them."

"Some are not performing and regardless of stature we have to be fair. I felt I was fair today," said the 46-year-old.

"There's rationale behind everything we do. If anyone disagrees with anything, I would love to hear their reasons."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49378693

You can sense the distance between Nathan Jones and the players. He's lost the dressing room.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

"Stoke City boss Nathan Jones questioned the mentality of his players after seeing his side suffer a fourth defeat of the Championship season at home to leaders Leeds United, who continued their unbeaten start to the campaign.

"I'm a brave manager and we believe we will turn it around but the players have to show responsibility as well," said Jones.

"It seems when something goes against them they mentally go. When the first goal went in we seemed to lose all the belief that we tried to instill in them."

"Some are not performing and regardless of stature we have to be fair. I felt I was fair today," said the 46-year-old.

"There's rationale behind everything we do. If anyone disagrees with anything, I would love to hear their reasons."

You can sense the distance between Nathan Jones and the players. He's lost the dressing room.

It is the players. He is doing everything right, the stats show that. The players aren't doing their part
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Oggy Red said:

It is the players. He is doing everything right, the stats show that. The players aren't doing their part
    Yes, but my observation ...... the players are not playing for him.
    Why not?

Today, amongst others, he dropped his skipper and gave the captain's armband to an 18 year old.

Something is very wrong.

• Options
    If Jones is sacked our manager's going to be at the top of their shortlist. 
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:

Yes, but my observation ...... the players are not playing for him.
    Why not?

Today, amongst others, he dropped his skipper and gave the captain's armband to an 18 year old.

Something is very wrong.

For sure and once they cross that white line you are shafted as a manager if the players won't play for you.
  • Options
    Bowyer won't just dump everyone and everything he's building here at Charlton .... just to go to Stoke.

He won't want to move his family either, settled in Kent.