Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

CV Template

Anybody got a link to a good CV template TIA.

Comments

• Options

Alan Pardew must have a fucking great one.

Old Dowie used to have a powerpoint CV.
  • Options
    Must be a few recruiters on here who can help you.
  • Options
    Daisy has one.. works for her
  • Options
    Feel free to ignore as I’m not a CV expert....I just employ people from time to time

The first rule of CVs is don’t listen to anything a recruitment agent or HR person tells you about what you should or shouldn’t put on a CV unless you are looking for a job as either a recruitment agent or in HR. Neither of those two know a single thing about the roles that they are recruiting for.

Second rule is forget the bollox about ‘not too many pages’ - if you’ve got the experience, put it all down in your CV

Forget the fancy typeface and other add ons

Forget the coloured paper

Use a spellcheck

Don’t use long sentences

Don’t write in the third person

Don’t make claims you can’t back up

Do have a LinkedIn page that mirrors your CVs claims - it’s the lazy mans way of doing an initial check on you - make sure it’s got a picture (not a holiday photo or you in your once in an. Lifetime appearance in a dinner jacket). These days I never bother interviewing anybody I can’t see a LinkedIn page for it that doesn’t have a photo on it.

I don’t do this but you might want to be aware that among other sneaky things theses days it’s possible to basically run a mouse etc over a building (handy if the person you are looking up says they are still employed and give you the name of the firm) and see who in that building is looking at a social media site. Best to nuke any social media access you have if you are applying to anywhere you think might want to check you out (or has a policy of not using social media at work).
  • Options
    Similar position to letthegoodtimesroll agree wholeheartedly, expect my partner does check out the social media side, and if it’s bad then he will not interview them, ie drinking stories, swearing etc. In my opinion that’s wrong but that what he does.
  • Options
    One tip. Dont use Comic Sans. You're welcome!
  • Options
    Dunno if this helps, but the biggest section in my CV (previous experience) is all done in bullet points, I had help doing this from a recruiter who I knew a good few years back, it’s so clear and concise that way and also easy to add bits and pieces to it as you progress and apparently employers like it because it’s easy to read.

For example:
    (Company name)
    (Job role)
    (Date range)
    • Taxation
    • Management Accounting Reports
    • VAT Returns
    Etc etc
  • Options
    https://www.interview-skills.co.uk/free-information/successful-cv-writing/different-types-of-cvs

It's a good link mate with examples. In particular, it talks about the style of CV writing in relation to the job that you are going for; i.e. a job in the same industry (usually use a Chronological CV), or a job where you want to show off specific skills because you may be changing industry/job type (Functional CV).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    One font throughout (you'd be surprised how many I see in different fonts and colours)
    Don't use motivational quotes from famous people (yes, really)
    Don't lie too much that you catch yourself out
    Keep it functional and straightforward
    Tidy up your online presences - LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter tell prospective employers a lot about you. If I see you pulling gangsta' fingers and swearing like a madman on your FB profile I am unlikely to interview you. Same applies to women - I don't need to know you have loose morals before you come through the door.

A lot of it depends on the role. When I am recruiting for designers it is largely about qualifications and continuity of service - I am not looking for someone to stay for a year and move on. I want stability.
    If it's administrative roles I am a little more relaxed on qualifications but then the presentation of the CV carries more weight

If I see typos I am highly likely to disregard your cv (engineers are often terrible at spelling but there is no excuse nowadays with speelchucker doing the donkey work for you

I would also mention you're a Charlton fan as one of your pastimes. It's got a couple of people a foot in the door with me. It's a talking point. If they are a Palace fan it might just get you a foot in the door so they can take the piss - but it's a bit different so it is well worth including.

Good luck
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

One font throughout (you'd be surprised how many I see in different fonts and colours)
    Tidy up your online presences - LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter tell prospective employers a lot about you. If I see you pulling gangsta' fingers and swearing like a madman on your FB profile I am unlikely to interview you. Same applies to women - I don't need to know you have loose morals before you come through the door.

A lot of it depends on the role. When I am recruiting for designers it is largely about qualifications and continuity of service - I am not looking for someone to stay for a year and move on. I want stability.
    If it's administrative roles I am a little more relaxed on qualifications but then the presentation of the CV carries more weight

If I see typos I am highly likely to disregard your cv (engineers are often terrible at spelling but there is no excuse nowadays with speelchucker doing the donkey work for you

I would also mention you're a Charlton fan as one of your pastimes. It's got a couple of people a foot in the door with me. It's a talking point. If they are a Palace fan it might just get you a foot in the door so they can take the piss - but it's a bit different so it is well worth including.

Good luck

Don't lie - period.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Swisdom said:

Good luck

Don't lie - period.
    I agree but I know i'm in the minority whose cv is true

• Options
    Thanks one and all. I will pass all this on to my daughter.
  • Options
    Tailor it to the job you are applying for, even if that means a brief paragraph that's answers why you fulfil every aspect of the job description (even if you have a covering letter).

I had plough through 300 for a single job once, and those that gave the impression they actually knew about the job has a much better chance (it was a graduate role, so other than a relevant degree, most had little to no relevant experience - so this might not necessarily be too important to you)
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Swisdom said:

Good luck

Don't lie - period.
    Don't outright lie but a little minor exaggeration here and there helps a little.

Probably more on the interview side. You've done something? Play up your role in that project. One I often do and would recommend to anyone in interview situations is around examples of when you've done something. It's much better if your examples come from a range of sources e.g. different work environments, something you do in your free time, studies etc. Well of you have an example that fits a question perfectly but you've already used that workplace in a couple of previous examples - don't ditch the example but simply say you did it at a different workplace. You know the detail of the project so they'll never know you're lying. One small sentence and it makes you seem wayy better.

Back on CV I found the best way to do this is to create a table in word and put everything in different boxes. It allows you to make sure everything lines up perfectly and all your bullet points are straight. Then right at the end you can turn the table lines colour to white and no one will ever know it's there.
  • Options
    If you're sending the cv to an agency, ensure you use 'buzzwords' scattered appropriately throughout, because often the agency will scan the cv, possibly electronically, and will then use that to pluck out your cv when a job comes in. Suitable buzzwords can be gleaned from existing job specs/ads/descriptions from the sector you want to go into.

Do make sure your CV matches your linkedin profile, if you have one (I was sent a cv once where the linkedin said they were a qualified accountant but the cv admitted they still had their finals to do - and I'd ask for certificates so I'd find out anyway - er, so you're dishonest, why would I want you in my finance department handling money?). And do get someone who understands grammar and spelling to check the cv through.

Don't agree with the photos thing - I think it risks leading to uninentional bias and possible discrimination. And, even if you are religious, please don't ask your god to guide me to selecting your cv. He won't.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    TeslaGirl said:

If you're sending the cv to an agency, ensure you use 'buzzwords' scattered appropriately throughout, because often the agency will scan the cv, possibly electronically, and will then use that to pluck out your cv when a job comes in. Suitable buzzwords can be gleaned from existing job specs/ads/descriptions from the sector you want to go into.

Do make sure your CV matches your linkedin profile, if you have one (I was sent a cv once where the linkedin said they were a qualified accountant but the cv admitted they still had their finals to do - and I'd ask for certificates so I'd find out anyway - er, so you're dishonest, why would I want you in my finance department handling money?). And do get someone who understands grammar and spelling to check the cv through.

Don't agree with the photos thing - I think it risks leading to uninentional bias and possible discrimination. And, even if you are religious, please don't ask your god to guide me to selecting your cv. He won't.

The ‘normal’, not posed, non-naff photo on the LinkedIn page is a must. If there isnt a photo that friends, colleagues etc will recognise then you have consider whether you need to suspect that the page is a false one set up for scamming etc and that’s one unnecessary extra background check you might have to do if you did want to interview/hire them.
  • Options
    Anybody else got a 'My perfect CV' advert on this page?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Anybody else got a 'My perfect CV' advert on this page?

I’ve got a ‘find IT jobs’ ad...Fck knows why the ‘S’and ‘H’ aren’t showing in it
  • Options
    I got 5 cv's sent to me by a random agency this morning. One of the CVs is of one of my current staff!

Surely the golden rule rule of recruitment is not to send the cv of a prospective employee to it's current employer

• Options

bobmunro said:

Swisdom said:

Good luck

Don't lie - period.
    Don't outright lie but a little minor exaggeration here and there helps a little.

Probably more on the interview side. You've done something? Play up your role in that project. One I often do and would recommend to anyone in interview situations is around examples of when you've done something. It's much better if your examples come from a range of sources e.g. different work environments, something you do in your free time, studies etc. Well of you have an example that fits a question perfectly but you've already used that workplace in a couple of previous examples - don't ditch the example but simply say you did it at a different workplace. You know the detail of the project so they'll never know you're lying. One small sentence and it makes you seem wayy better.

Back on CV I found the best way to do this is to create a table in word and put everything in different boxes. It allows you to make sure everything lines up perfectly and all your bullet points are straight. Then right at the end you can turn the table lines colour to white and no one will ever know it's there.
    Interests

Travelling (except on those fucking shitcunty SE Trains)

Values

Unequivocal equality (except for that fucking disabled woman who keeps taking my seat on the fucking shitcunty SE Train)
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

I got 5 cv's sent to me by a random agency this morning. One of the CVs is of one of my current staff!

Surely the golden rule rule of recruitment is not to send the cv of a prospective employee to it's current employer

You fired them yet for having recently updated their CV and obviously looking to move on?
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Swisdom said:

Good luck

So for women only you don’t need to know they have loose morals before they come through the door?

Gotta say that has to go down as one fucked up comment.
  • Options

Swisdom said:

Good luck

So for women only you don’t need to know they have loose morals before they come through the door?

Gotta day that has to go down as one fucked up comment.
    I thought that too.

That’s exactly the sort of woman I wanted my boss to employ.

Killjoy.
  • Options

Swisdom said:

Good luck

Men seldom walk around with their tits hanging out & snogging their mates.
  • Options
    WSS said:

Swisdom said:

You fired them yet for having recently updated their CV and obviously looking to move on?
    Don’t know what you mean. Never heard of him. He’s definitely not buried in the car park

• Options
    Swisdom said:

Swisdom said:

Good luck

Men seldom walk around with their tits hanging out & snogging their mates.
    Ok. Just keep digging sunshine.