Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket - Summer of 2018

Comments

• Options
    Root is batting at three Malan four, it has got it on The BBC website. I am a bit sad that Ballance wasn't called up. I like other posters have not seen much of Bess.
  • Options
    I saw some of Bess watching the Lions stream. He has a very nice action and gives it a tweak. Most importantly, he can bat ;)

Wood is not much quicker than the others these days tbh
  • Options
    Quite surprised that Sam Curran hasn't been called up - especially after the grilling he gave Root at the Oval over the weekend, and a ten-fer.
  • Options
    Wood is the quickest bowler we have.
  • Options
    Not any more. Stone of Warks and J Overton when fit are quicker these days
  • Options
    Also, Saqib Mahmood
  • Options
    I like Stone, but he is injury prone.
  • Options

Quite surprised that Sam Curran hasn't been called up - especially after the grilling he gave Root at the Oval over the weekend, and a ten-fer.

He'll get a chance when his form dips. It's the England way :-)
  • Options
    England need to leave our 4 or 5 exceptional 19/20 year olds alone for a year. Let them develop and play a bit more cricket firat then come calling.

Sam is maybe the exception to that as he is in this 3rd season.
  • Options
    edited May 2018

England need to leave our 4 or 5 exceptional 19/20 year olds alone for a year. Let them develop and play a bit more cricket firat then come calling.

Sam is maybe the exception to that as he is in this 3rd season.

Yeah agree with that, however, next year is the Ashes - so imo its either this year or the year after next- personally i think Sam is ready - he has the personality and nous to deal with Test cricket, and once he gets in, he will be there for a long time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Interesting one with Buttler, he batted beautifully in some of the ODIs over here in the Aussie summer, the Aussie bowlers didn't know where to bowl at him.

He is never going to bat all day at seven for a 60 not out, his job will be to go out there and seize the initiative against a tiring attack and turn 150-5 into 300 + by playing his shots and putting the bowlers onto the back foot.

He does have a touch of the Gilchrist's about him and a player like that at number seven could be a game-changer.
  • Options

Interesting one with Buttler, he batted beautifully in some of the ODIs over here in the Aussie summer, the Aussie bowlers didn't know where to bowl at him.

He is never going to bat all day at seven for a 60 not out, his job will be to go out there and seize the initiative against a tiring attack and turn 150-5 into 300 + by playing his shots and putting the bowlers onto the back foot.

He does have a touch of the Gilchrist's about him and a player like that at number seven could be a game-changer.

If he keeps wicket.
    As i said, he isnt going to be batting at 7 if they have brought him in at a batter.
  • Options

If he keeps wicket.
    As i said, he isnt going to be batting at 7 if they have brought him in at a batter.
    I think Buttler isn't going to be keeping and will still bat at 7 simply because Bairstow doesn't want to give the gloves up and England want him to bat at 5.
  • Options

If he keeps wicket.
    He is batting at seven and he has been brought in as a batter. Source Ed Smith.
  • Options

If he keeps wicket.
    Buttler simply can't bat above 7 at test match level. Bairstow might well bat 6 with Stokes at 5, but I think it will be the other way round
  • Options
    If that is the case, then Buttler himself should question it - because you could very well have the scenario that Bairstow found himself in many times in that he will be 20 something no having to bat with the tail. Makes no sense.
  • Options
    Just read that Bess has taken one championship wicket this season.
  • Options
    He can bat though, and Virdi can't

In all seriousness, he's played in lots of seam-heavy games this season. His overall record isn't bad
  • Options

Just read that Bess has taken one championship wicket this season.

overall average of under 23 is impressive though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So, it seems its
    Cook
    Stoneman
    Root
    Malan
    Bairstow
    Stokes
    Buttler
    Woakes or Wood
    Bess
    Jimmy
    Broad

Is that right?
  • Options
    That is how I see it.
  • Options
    It is quite bizarre but any young spinner is likely to learn more about his craft in one season playing for England than probably half a decade playing for his county - wickets with overhead conditions that favour the likes of Stevens, Masters etc mean very little chance of playing let alone bowling. Kent aren't even playing a front line spinner at the moment and before we know it we will have played half the CC matches.
  • Options

So, it seems its
    Cook
    Stoneman
    Root
    Malan
    Bairstow
    Stokes
    Buttler
    Woakes or Wood
    Bess
    Jimmy
    Broad

Is that right?

Stokes ahead of Bairstow
  • Options

So, it seems its
    Cook
    Stoneman
    Root
    Malan
    Bairstow
    Stokes
    Buttler
    Woakes or Wood
    Bess
    Jimmy
    Broad

Is that right?

You got there in the end.
  • Options
    my team would have been

cook
    stoneman
    root
    malan
    bairstow
    stokes
    foakes
    woakes or s curran
    bess or another spin option
    anderson
    broad

Buttlers technique gets found out at test level in my opinion also think wood has a fundamental fault ..short run up means he has to put too much into his delivery resulting in injury ..think the original selection looks too much like a 50 over team
  • Options
    "In the first of our exclusive extracts from his autobiography 'Cut Short', former England batsman James Taylor relives the day in April 2016 a routine pre-season match at Cambridge University ended his career - and left him fighting for his life."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2018/05/18/james-taylor-could-see-heart-stretching-skin-thought-going-die/

In the second of our extracts from James Taylor’s new autobiography, the former England batsman recalls his turbulent relationship with Kevin Pietersen - and how his Test debut in 2012 turned horribly sour.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2018/05/18/james-taylor-lost-respect-kevin-pietersen/
  • Options
    Very insightful stuff above re: KP and I had no idea he was so close to death either.
  • Options
    If possible Callum can you put the KP JT link up again can’t find it on google or your link , cheers
  • Options
    Anyone who has an account with the telegraph wanna post the entire articles?