Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket - Summer of 2018

Comments

• I think just as important as the overseas issue is the England players issue. What the he'll is the point in trying to promote our tournament when our beat 15 players are away playing (or not playing in Sam and Tom's case) with England.

Why take our 15 best players out if the competition. Make them available and not only does it improve the quality but it benefits our own players.

Agree, i'm hoping that the schedule is 'adjusted' so that the England players will be playing most of the games - after all, i want to see 'our' best against the best of the world.
  • Jordan Clark has just taken a hat trick in the roses match. So what you say?

Root, Williamson and Bairstow! That's a high quality hat trick.
  • lolwray said:

re Rashid ...fundamentally he has to be backed if selected and bowled

no point in selecting him for 2 games and shoving him back in the wilderness but id have my concerns about someone who hasnt been playing the longer format anyway

He also has to be backed by the captain. Cook was reluctant to use him in matches and it looks like Root isn't his biggest fan either.
  • Regarding Buttler and Bairstow, I don't think there is much between them as wicket keepers. Neither are outstanding, but both are very good and have improved a lot. They are also both excellent in the outfield.

I would think the main reason Bairstow keeps in tests is for consistency. Buttler has only just come back into the side and isn't guaranteed a place, whereas Bairstow is now established and probably wants to keep (chasing records etc)

The opposite is true in the shorter formats where Buttler is vice captain and almost un-droppable, and it is only recently that Bairstow has got back in.

Regarding tests, if Bairstow's batting suffers, or he makes a couple of mistakes then the calls will get louder for Buttler to keep.

But for now if it ain't broke...
  • Yorkshire beat Lancs in the county match, with Joe Root finishing with figures of 4-5, including the wickets of Anderson and Buttler. I bet he really enjoyed that!
  • Yorkshire beat Lancs in the county match, with Joe Root finishing with figures of 4-5, including the wickets of Anderson and Buttler. I bet he really enjoyed that!

Yes but he won't have enjoyed his batting performances which included being part of a hatrick and then caught behind off Anderson
  • Riviera said:

The best summer weather wise for a generation, school holidays and no England cricket from 17th July - 1st August. Ridiculous.

Totally stupid planning.
  • Sponsored links:

• Sat with his Dad at moment in Rhodes.
    Jamie flew back yesterday.

Big ask to start though.
  • Congratulations Jamie Porter on being called up to the Test squad. Know one poster will be particularly proud and rightly so.

Rashid recalled to a 13 man squad.

Sam Curran too.
  • MrOneLung said:

Sat with his Dad at moment in Rhodes.
    Jamie flew back yesterday.

Big ask to start though.

Wont be long before he does.
  • Rashid also there.
  • Sam is there I think to cover stokes absence for the 2nd test.
  • Rashid is going to get destroyed ffs. Might score some runs though
  • India in the runs agaisnt a second string Essex side, 395 all out. Wish I was watching it! If Paul Walter can get four wickets against them, I'm sure Jamie can cash in
  • Rashid has not played red ball cricket for nearly a year, so it's a gamble that I hope comes off
  • India can play spin all day long, Rashid might get thumped
  • Porter surely has to play?
  • Sponsored links:

• Porter should play, I would leave Malan out.
    Cook, Jennings, Root, Bairstow, Stokes, Butler, Mooen, Rashid, Porter, Broad and Anderson
  • Can you have Porter Broad and Anderson all in same team?

• MrOneLung said:

Can you have Porter Broad and Anderson all in same team?

I can
  • To me it's
    Cook, Jennings, Root, Malan, Bairstow, Stokes, Buttler, ?, ?, Broad, Anderson

2 spinners if the pitch looks like turning, 1 spinner and either Porter or Curran is it doesn't
  • Rashid's inclusion hasn't gone down well with Yorkshire:

Mark Arthur, the chief executive of Yorkshire, said: "We're very surprised that England have called Adil up after not playing red ball cricket this season. Neither has he expressed a desire to do so.

"I hope England know what they're doing to Adil, and the county game."

Ex-England skipper Vaughan posted on social media: "Forget whether he is good enough or not, I find this decision ridiculous."
  • McBobbin said:

India can play spin all day long, Rashid might get thumped

All of the English spinners are likely to get thumped. At least with Rashid we might take some wickets.
  • To me it's

2 spinners if the pitch looks like turning, 1 spinner and either Porter or Curran is it doesn't

If its gonna turn, we have no chance - Indias spinners are far better than ours, and so are their batsmen in facing spin.
  • To me it's

If its gonna turn, we have no chance - Indias spinners are far better than ours, and so are their batsmen in facing spin.

To me it's

Rashid did well in the ODIs, the ball he got Kohli out with probably earned him his Test recall!

I don't think England want a dry turning pitch, but that's with the heatwave, that's what they'll have to deal with

I can't see it being helpful to the seamers
  • To me it's

To me it's

Rashid did well in the ODIs, the ball he got Kohli out with probably earned him his Test recall!

I don't think England want a dry turning pitch, but that's with the heatwave, that's what they'll have to deal with

I can't see it being helpful to the seamers
    The ball he bowled to get Kohli out would have got Bradman - however, how often does he do it ?
  • So what do we think for this?

Will the dry weather play into India's hands or will the recent rain prompt the usual movement with the Dukes ball ?