Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Play Off Final 98 - The whole game and Sky Coverage

Comments

• Options

Genius is the right word for Clive. With the ball at his feet in front of goal he was in a class of his own.

Without his injuries he would have played top flight football for years
  • Options

Best day of my life... don't tell the wife.

Me too. I won't tell yours if you don't tell mine :smile: .
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Best day of my life... don't tell the wife.

As long as she can still claim the best night of your life, you're OK.
  • Options
    Does anyone know if the club/players are having a 20 year get together this weekend ?
  • Options
    Is that Andy Gray on the commentary? Whoever it is, he talks a load of bollox. Phillips booking was for scything someone down, Gray talks about dissent. Mendonca doesn't do a dummy for the first goal, it's a bit like a Cruyff turn and he definitely plays the ball.
  • Options
    Listened to it on the radio. Fuck me, what a day that was.
  • Options

Is that Andy Gray on the commentary? Whoever it is, he talks a load of bollox. Phillips booking was for scything someone down, Gray talks about dissent. Mendonca doesn't do a dummy for the first goal, it's a bit like a Cruyff turn and he definitely plays the ball.

From memory I think it was Alan Brazil co-commentating that day
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    clive said:
    Had a good pissed up chat with Michael Gray couple of years ago and he took the banter in a good way , top man
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    ...and just to make you feel even better, I stumbled across this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUowKkMxJ8Q
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:

...and just to make you feel even better, I stumbled across this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUowKkMxJ8Q

Bastard!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Nicky Bailey single handedly losing us that game against Swindon
  • Options
    Clive with his fuck off, FUCK OFFFF goal celebration
  • Options
    Happy 20th anniversary. A day that lives in the memory for those of us that were there. A truly great occasion.
  • Options

There's a journalist who wants to hear from fans who went for a story and it seems like mainly Sunderland fans are replying
  • Options
    Is this true.

I remember the sea of red all around me, cafc were heavily outnumbered by mackems . Both fans came together at the end, a unforgettable experience for both set of fans.

I cant find any team attendences just the match as a whole.

Were we really heavily outnumbered??
  • Options
    Pretty sure Wembley was split down the middle.
  • Options

I don't think I fancied any of them to put one away - even Clive! Such was my dread that we’d blow it!

Clive - “game of his life, he’s bound to undo it all”

Bowen - “a left back, he ain’t got a chance”

Kinsella - “got a bad feeling”

Brown - “He’s gonna sky it”

Newton - “fuck - that’s it, no chance”

Robbo - “has he even got any energy left to kick it”

yep, my thoughts exactly at the time

• Options

Is this true.

I remember the sea of red all around me, cafc were heavily outnumbered by mackems . Both fans came together at the end, a unforgettable experience for both set of fans.

I cant find any team attendences just the match as a whole.

Were we really heavily outnumbered??

It's not true. If I recall correctly, there was a relatively small difference between what we were allocated and what Sunderland were given. I think they had 39,000 and we had 34k or 35k.

Nevertheless, it certainly felt like we were outnumbered before the game. Bear in mind the Mackams were effectively all travelling down together by coach, by train and congregating in the obvious places like Trafalgar Square and Wembley Way. Charlton supporters were travelling from much closer to the ground, there was no need for us to congregate like that - some would have been drinking in pubs in Charlton and Greenwich, some would have been in Central London, some would have been coming from Kent, all arriving at Wembley in dribs and drabs. The consequence of this, presumably for others as well as me, is that upon arriving at Wembley Park and looking down Wembley Way, all I could see was a sea of Mackems, which just made the day and the task in hand seem even more daunting. As I watched the teams coming out, I had a tear in my eye as I contemplated how utterly gutted I was probably going to be by the end of the afternoon.