Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ex-commercial hen rescue - new homes needed

Comments

• Options
    N01R4M said:
    I've a friend whose parents farmed chickens free range for their eggs.  She tells me that they would often use ex-battery hens as replacements in the flock as they would lay large eggs straight away, unlike young birds.  The way they farmed, on a relatively small scale, it would probably not have been an issue, but if the chickens you rescued had been housed as you describe and were ex-battery hens, I doubt if they would have gone outside having been habituated to life indoors when they were younger.
    It’s good to hear that hens were rescued by your friend’s parents. Commercial, egg laying, hens are usually deemed ‘spent’ at 72 weeks and sent for slaughter. The farms we rescue from subscribe to this, allow us to clear their barns and then move another lot in. These hens are mass bred for egg laying. So, sadly, it’s luck of the draw, pecking order etc, as to which hens are near enough to the ‘pop holes’ to get out (when they are opened). A sad life - until they are rescued :) There were some lovely families rehoming this weekend. Kids with names already decided for their pet hens. You just know they are going to be loved.
  • Options
    She is certainly looking brighter, Arsene, and is a credit to your t.l.c.
    I hope she will not only provide you with an egg for Christmas breakfast, but also lays you an Easter egg!
  • Options
    That's an amazing number of rescues.

We picked up 6 oven-ready rescue hens from BHWT at Foal Farm about 3 weeks ago.  One sadly passed away within a few days but the other five are pretty much fully feathered and are happy to get out of their house when the pop hole gate opens at dawn.  From only wanting chicken mash when we got them, they now love to try and snatch some of the live mealworms our older girls get.  No eggs from them yet, but that's not surprising.
  • Options
    addix said:

We picked up 6 oven-ready rescue hens from BHWT at Foal Farm about 3 weeks ago.  One sadly passed away within a few days but the other five are pretty much fully feathered and are happy to get out of their house when the pop hole gate opens at dawn.  From only wanting chicken mash when we got them, they now love to try and snatch some of the live mealworms our older girls get.  No eggs from them yet, but that's not surprising.
    Fantastic! I bet they can’t believe their luck 😊
    l love Foal Farm, well run rescue. (Except the narrow lane that leafs up to them!!)
  • Options
    addix said:

Fantastic! I bet they can’t believe their luck 😊
    l love Foal Farm, well run rescue. (Except the narrow lane that leafs up to them!!)

My sister used to volunteer there many years ago.  I don't know why they don't join with the golf course next door and make one wider lane that cars can pass each other on.  There were so many people picking up hens that we had a timeslot allocated by surname, and there were two people on walkie-talkies at either end of the lane controlling the traffic.  We'll probably pick up a few more hens next time they're back at Foal Farm.
  • Options
    I noticed the Mirror ran a story about Mel James who raised £2,400 on social media to rescue 4000 chickens from the her local farmer. 
    https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/uk-news/woman-saves-4000-chickens-death-17477557 

I also note the names she recommends for them.  :neutral:

Amelia Egghart
    Attila the Hen
    Chicken Little
    Cluck Rogers
    Chick Norris
    Goldie Hen
    Hen Solo
    Henneth Paltrow
    Princess Lay-a
    Yolko Ono
  • Options
    It’s such a good cause. Really want to re-home some hens but my Mrs isn’t having any of it, need to keep working on her
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    se9addick said:
    It’s such a good cause. Really want to re-home some hens but my Mrs isn’t having any of it, need to keep working on her

Thanks @se9addick

If you have twitter and would re-tweet the rehoming announcement that would help. We get a lot of enquiries from re-tweets. It's

Fresh Start For Hens - Official

@FSFH_Official

• Options
    kimbo said:
    A couple of pictures of a hen from a recent rescue. This is a ‘free range’ bird.
    the poor thing, i always assumed that free range were "happier" and  i work at an animal charity who campaigns against farming - Change for Chickens. Donated

That’s so kind of you! - thank you.

Some of the free range ones are very healthy. Most from last weekend were fully feathered and a good weight. However, we find that ‘free range’ can vary depending on the size of the flock. There are little holes for the hens to go outside (when opened), but in a flock of 3000 the ones furthest from the doors don’t stand a chance of getting out. 

Your charity sounds good. I’ve not heard of it - will google.
    Oh for fucks sake that is so disappointing. Naieve of me I assumed Free range meant free range. What do you look for if like me you shop at supermarkets?
  • Options
    Around 4000 hens will be rescued in January and are looking for homes. There are two dates - 11th and 25th. If you are able to rehome some hens please have a look at our website www.freshstartforhens.co.uk. There are various collection points around the country and plenty in Kent. Thank you 😊 
    A chicken with attitude.
  • Options
    kimbo said:
    A couple of pictures of a hen from a recent rescue. This is a ‘free range’ bird.
    the poor thing, i always assumed that free range were "happier" and  i work at an animal charity who campaigns against farming - Change for Chickens. Donated

Some of the free range ones are very healthy. Most from last weekend were fully feathered and a good weight. However, we find that ‘free range’ can vary depending on the size of the flock. There are little holes for the hens to go outside (when opened), but in a flock of 3000 the ones furthest from the doors don’t stand a chance of getting out. 

Oh for fucks sake that is so disappointing. Naieve of me I assumed Free range meant free range. What do you look for if like me you shop at supermarkets?
    Good question. I’ll try and find out for you
  • Options
    More meat on her than many of the Rate my Plate entries!

@Arsenetatters Do you know the Bromley collection location?  May be able to take a few more.
  • Options
    addix said:
    More meat on her than many of the Rate my Plate entries!

@Arsenetatters Do you know the Bromley collection location?  May be able to take a few more.
    @addix I don't know the exact address but it's on the way to Keston. There is also, however, a superb collection point near Eynsford/Farningham (listed as Swanley) ;). There's usually more collection points in Kent than the ones listed for January. There will be other dates (usually one every month or so). I do hope you can squeeze a few more in :)
  • Options
    kimbo said:

Good question. I’ll try and find out for you

The general consensus seems to be to go for Organic free range eggs that are certificated by the soil association. They have stricter standards than bog-standard free range - for example the maximum number of hens allowed in the barn is lower and the hens are allowed access to the outside from an earlier age (12 weeks). They also don't have their beaks trimmed (an unpleasant process).

Buying processed products containing eggs is another minefield as many companies use eggs from caged hens. This is changing though....

• Options
    This is one of yesterday’s rescue hens. She’s a free range girl. Something I had no idea about is that some farmers reduce the amount of feed by half on the lead up to slaughter time. This can mean that the hens peck each other’s feathers leaving them bald. 

I’ve got 4 poorlies at home and they’ve eaten continually since arriving. They are so thin. Mr Tatters is delighted they’re staying in the spare bedroom. 
  • Options
    Thank you for posting - but I can't bring myself to "like" the pic of this poor hen, and it certainly is not a "lol" matter.  I know cruelty standards for farm animals are less rigorous than for pets, but surely it must be against husbandry rules to deliberately half starve a flock?

I look forward to seeing the "after" pic of @baldybum in a couple of months' time when her parson's nose is decently covered!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    N01R4M said:
    Thank you for posting - but I can't bring myself to "like" the pic of this poor hen, and it certainly is not a "lol" matter.  I know cruelty standards for farm animals are less rigorous than for pets, but surely it must be against husbandry rules to deliberately half starve a flock?

I look forward to seeing the "after" pic of @baldybum in a couple of months' time when her parson's nose is decently covered!
    I was surprised to hear this too. We asked one of the lovely farmers we work with how free range hens can get like this and that’s what she said. Her free range hens are in superb condition when we rescue them, fully feathered and healthy :)
  • Options
    This is one of yesterday’s rescue hens. She’s a free range girl. Something I had no idea about is that some farmers reduce the amount of feed by half on the lead up to slaughter time. This can mean that the hens peck each other’s feathers leaving them bald. 

I’ve got 4 poorlies at home and they’ve eaten continually since arriving. They are so thin. Mr Tatters is delighted they’re staying in the spare bedroom. 
    sorry if this has already been mentioned but what happens to them when slaughtered? are they just discarded?
  • Options
    We’d love to get involved in this, we have a 30’ kennels virtually sitting doing nothing for housing them. But fear the already stressed birds seeing our dogs around the garden would be to much for their little hearts. Thoughts @Arsenetatters
  • Options

• Options
    T_C_E said:
    We’d love to get involved in this, we have a 30’ kennels virtually sitting doing nothing for housing them. But fear the already stressed birds seeing our dogs around the garden would be to much for their little hearts. Thoughts @Arsenetatters
    I’ll get back to you on this- asking others :)
  • Options
    Well our hens live right next to our goats without getting stressed.
    Even the barn cats don’t bother them.
    I personally think they’d be ok.
  • Options

sorry if this has already been mentioned but what happens to them when slaughtered? are they just discarded?
    Sadly the following:
    cheap pies
    pet food
    cheap baby food
    feet and heads to Asia
    anything left as fertiliser 
  • Options

Sadly the following:
    cheap pies
    pet food
    cheap baby food
    feet and heads to Asia
    thanks, it was the farmers reducing the feed by half bit that made me question it.
  • Options
    T_C_E said:
    Chatting to others with dogs it seems it depends on the dog’s temperament (for all types of dog). Some need supervision and others treat them as their own flock and protect them. Introducing them slowly seems to be the way to go. From what you have said about your dogs I’m sure they’d be fine. 
  • Options

Sadly the following:
    cheap pies
    pet food
    cheap baby food
    feet and heads to Asia
    thanks, it was the farmers reducing the feed by half bit that made me question it.
    Having heard that they reduce the feed from another farmer I’m fairly certain it’s not meant to be allowed. It would be used as a cost saving. The farmer gets paid per carcass (I think about a pound) so weight is not a major factor