Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ex-commercial hen rescue - new homes needed

Comments

• Um weren’t they otherwise going in a slaughter lorry to be killed?

Not asked Alison about that but fairly sure that’s what she posted above.

Yes that's right. At 72 weeks most commercial egg-laying big hens are considered 'spent' as they don't lay as many eggs so are sent for slaughter.
  • And the average life of a normal sized hen in someone’s back garden is around 5 years or more so 72 weeks is a bit shorter than that.
  • And the average life of a normal sized hen in someone’s back garden is around 5 years or more so 72 weeks is a bit shorter than that.

And they continue to lay eggs. Maybe 'only' 4 or 5 a week rather than 6 or 7.
  • Brilliant work AT. do you have a link for a donation - can't take any hens.

Thank you, that's very kind of you - much appreciated:)

There is a donation bit at the bottom of the home page on our website www.freshstartforhens.co.uk

Yes that's right. At 72 weeks most commercial egg-laying big hens are considered 'spent' as they don't lay as many eggs so are sent for slaughter.
    Ah, thanks.
  • If someone is thinking of starting out as a "rooky" owner, these certainly look a more realistic prospect than battery hens who need nursing back to health because they have lost their feathers.

I would certainly be tempted if I lived a more settled life than at present, but there are limits to what I can ask my neighbours to do when I'm away from home.

There is a donation bit at the bottom of the home page on our website www.freshstartforhens.co.uk
    Done. Easier than homing a hen.
  • @Arsenetatters there was a bit about the use of caged chickens in egg production for commercial use in the Jamie Oliver show on Channel 4 on Friday night. Might be worth Fresh Start For Hens asking him to retweet an appeal for people to rehome the latest batch, especially if they're going to be easier for a beginner to look after than those that need nursing back to health.
  • Sponsored links:

• aliwibble said:

@Arsenetatters there was a bit about the use of caged chickens in egg production for commercial use in the Jamie Oliver show on Channel 4 on Friday night. Might be worth Fresh Start For Hens asking him to retweet an appeal for people to rehome the latest batch, especially if they're going to be easier for a beginner to look after than those that need nursing back to health.

Thanks @aliwibble!
  • N01R4M said:

If someone is thinking of starting out as a "rooky" owner, these certainly look a more realistic prospect than battery hens who need nursing back to health because they have lost their feathers.

I would certainly be tempted if I lived a more settled life than at present, but there are limits to what I can ask my neighbours to do when I'm away from home.

@N01R4M I agree that some people may be worried about looking after 'featherless' hens. They are actually very resilient creatures and should not need any extra care. Some people knit them jumpers but they can actually cause problems with feather growth. When we are catching and putting the hens into crates we check them for any obvious health problems - very thin, toes missing, blood, prolapse etc etc - and we take these ones to the vets/ our own homes (I've got 2 in our spare bedroom at the moment!). There's further checks at the collections points around the country when the crates are delivered. As soon as you let the hens out you can often tell if there's a poorly one. These ones wont be rehomed.

But this weekend's hens were very well looked after by the farmer and clearly live in much better welfare conditions than the average hen we rehome.

Have made a donation

Have made a donation
    Thank you @Johnnysummers5 - that's really kind of you :smile:

Done. Easier than homing a hen.
    But without the eggs :wink:
    Thank you!
  • Have you got any that look like they might be a bit useful up front?
  • Fumbluff said:

Have you got any that look like they might be a bit useful up front?

Chicksen was a left back wasn't he?
  • A couple of pictures of a hen from a recent rescue. This is a ‘free range’ bird.
  • Sponsored links:

• That’s heartbreaking.. let’s hope she gets a good home 
  • A couple of pictures of a hen from a recent rescue. This is a ‘free range’ bird.
    the poor thing, i always assumed that free range were "happier" and  i work at an animal charity who campaigns against farming - Change for Chickens. Donated

• _MrDick said:
    That’s heartbreaking.. let’s hope she gets a good home 
    She has! At the hen rescues we actually love taking these ones home. All the volunteers go for the poorly ones. There’s something lovely about getting a sick Chook and nursing it back to health, fully feathered. Sadly they don’t always make it.....I’ve got 4 in the spare bedroom from last weekend’s rescue. They’re eating like horses!
  • kimbo said:
    A couple of pictures of a hen from a recent rescue. This is a ‘free range’ bird.
    the poor thing, i always assumed that free range were "happier" and  i work at an animal charity who campaigns against farming - Change for Chickens. Donated

That’s so kind of you! - thank you.

Some of the free range ones are very healthy. Most from last weekend were fully feathered and a good weight. However, we find that ‘free range’ can vary depending on the size of the flock. There are little holes for the hens to go outside (when opened), but in a flock of 3000 the ones furthest from the doors don’t stand a chance of getting out. 

Your charity sounds good. I’ve not heard of it - will google.
  • _MrDick said:
    She has! At the hen rescues we actually love taking these ones home. All the volunteers go for the poorly ones. There’s something lovely about getting a sick Chook and nursing it back to health, fully feathered. Sadly they don’t always make it.....I’ve got 4 in the spare bedroom from last weekend’s rescue. They’re eating like horses!
    Hopefully they’re not sh*****g like them too, for your sake.
  • _MrDick said:
    Hopefully they’re not sh*****g like them too, for your sake.
    Mr Tatters is not best pleased. I promised not to bring any more home. They’re not easy to sneak in. And we live in a two bedroom house. 
  • kimbo said:
    A couple of pictures of a hen from a recent rescue. This is a ‘free range’ bird.

That’s so kind of you! - thank you.

Some of the free range ones are very healthy. Most from last weekend were fully feathered and a good weight. However, we find that ‘free range’ can vary depending on the size of the flock. There are little holes for the hens to go outside (when opened), but in a flock of 3000 the ones furthest from the doors don’t stand a chance of getting out. 

Your charity sounds good. I’ve not heard of it - will google.
    I have seen their stuff! I saw the KFC chicken petition.  Campaigning against all farming, brilliant. 
  • What a great job you are doing
  • I've a friend whose parents farmed chickens free range for their eggs.  She tells me that they would often use ex-battery hens as replacements in the flock as they would lay large eggs straight away, unlike young birds.  The way they farmed, on a relatively small scale, it would probably not have been an issue, but if the chickens you rescued had been housed as you describe and were ex-battery hens, I doubt if they would have gone outside having been habituated to life indoors when they were younger.