Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sign the Safe Standing petition

2»

Comments

• Options
    castrust said:

Nearly 73,000 now. That is 20k in the last 4 days.

Has anyone let the Massives know? We would be straight past the 100k in an hour!
  • Options

I don’t know what (with safe standing) could possibly go wrong?

It’s restricted to ST holders, so you will always have the correct number of people in there and know who they are. The system has been used for yonks now in different countries (inc Celtic) without problems.

Anything that could possibly go wrong would also go wrong in a seated area, esp as most fans stand in seated areas anyway.

Completely agree. But if it was my decision we would have brought in safe standing years ago. What I was saying is that I can understand from the perspective of a politician who potentially has never actually been to a game of football why they might be hesitant - and again, from their perspective, what's the up side? How many votes is this going to win them?
  • Options

Where would the safe standing area be at the Valley ?

If guess it would be the Covered end (North Lower). Safety committee or whoever agrees to it are unlikely to allow an upper tier area especially in the early days of it being legal. Has to be somewhere in the ground where a bit of an atmosphere can be created so that rules out east or west or family stand.

Gradient of Covered End is a bit shallower so lends itself to being a standing area. Although if rail seats were ever needed to be used it could be not ideal wirh the gradient for those of us who are vertically challenged.
    Plus maybe South Stand Lower for away fans?

If those two areas were done, I wonder if the capacity would get up to 30,000?
  • Options
    Interesting article from a Hillsborough survivor here:

https://theguardian.com/football/2018/apr/22/hillsborough-survivor-football-safe-standing-return

Petition at 86,500 now.
  • Options
    94,850 now.....
  • Options
    99,216 now.....

This should hit the magic 100,000 in the next hour or so.
  • Options
    Fantastic.

I hope they ask clubs to provide both sitting and standing for away fans where possible.
  • Options
  • Options
    A couple of things...

How come Shrewsbury are being allowed to install it for next season? They've just taken delivery of the kit. Is it an authorised pilot scheme?

Just watched the video of The Spirit of Shankly visit to Celtic to talk to their Safety Officers and view the safe standing area. There were people who lost relatives/or survived Hillsborough in the group and they were very positive.

The video can be found on The Liverpool Echo website (I'd upload it but I'm useless at that sort of thing).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Simonsen said:

A couple of things...

How come Shrewsbury are being allowed to install it for next season? They've just taken delivery of the kit. Is it an authorised pilot scheme?

Just watched the video of The Spirit of Shankly visit to Celtic to talk to their Safety Officers and view the safe standing area. There were people who lost relatives/or survived Hillsborough in the group and they were very positive.

The video can be found on The Liverpool Echo website (I'd upload it but I'm useless at that sort of thing).

You're allowed terracing in League One and below, so I don't think safe standing needs any approval.

• Options
    edited April 2018
    Thanks Croydon...I've done a bit more reading on the subject now and you are spot on. Seems Shrews had a whip round and got some money from a sponsor to fund about 560 standing positions.

Also seems that rather than increase capacity, in Celtic's case, it slightly reduced capacity (one seat = one standing position, less a few positions because they needed to increase the gangway widths).
  • Options
    Done.

109,180 now.....
  • Options
    Was the Safe Standing debate held in Parliament yesterday? (I can't find any record of it).
  • Options

I attended the debate yesterday in the grand committee room located on upper level of Westminster Hall.
    What a pleasure it is to revisit this ancient building, built in 1099 i was told. Where King Charles 1st, Guy Fawkes and many others were tried and condemned to death.

Arriving at around 5pm, despite originally told it was full up i luckily got the last public seat. Surprisingly there were only around 30 public seats.
    There were around 30 'speakers' seats all with bum's on seats, most of whom spoke. EVERY SPEAKER WAS IN FAVOR OF SAFE STANDING- EXCEPT THE SPORTS MINISTER.

Around 10 MP's spoke near the end, they were by far the most engaging/forceful speakers. Pointing out the fact that as things stand now we have UNSAFE STANDING. ( I 100% agree with that )

Rail seating was continually mentioned in relation to it's successful use at Celtic and the Bundesliga - Dortmund and it was thought 9 other German Stadia.

An Oxford Utd representative opined that his club had made an interesting/useful adaption of the standard rail seats, but did not go into details.
    The Hillsborough disaster was mentioned regularly of course.

Lastly the Minister spoke, she was apparently a keen footy supporter, her speech was full of phrases like ' We must not be rushed into hasty decisions' ' We need more data/study and clarity on the safety implications'. This despite every speaker had pretty well demolished the Government line.

The motion was carried unanimously, I do not know if this carries much weight though.

Believe this Government has its head in the sand and wants to preserve the status quo.

I doubt whether any government in this country will go against the 'status quo.' In other words they don't like changing the rules - even if it has been proven (in Germany and Scotland) that safe standing works. The legislation needs changing, we're not living in the 1980's now. At my more 'mature' age I prefer to sit - but it's obvious that thousands of others, given the opportunity, would like to stand and as long as it's in a safe, controlled environment I don't see the problem.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    You did well Addictedoldgit. I was there at 4.20pm and was told all seats already taken so I went home.
  • Options
    As a 60 year old suffering with bad knees and cancer, I hope there will be the same drive to enforce sitting in areas designated fir fans who have bought seats.

But, of course, there won't be. The old and infirm aren't welcome at football...
  • Options
    Pico said:

You did well Addictedoldgit. I was there at 4.20pm and was told all seats already taken so I went home.

If you want to see the full debate it is available on this link,it lasts 155 minutes.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0bb09x4/westminster-hall-26062018
  • Options
    FA have now backed safe standing...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45341192
  • Options

FA have now backed safe standing...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45341192

Fuck me, who woke that lot up?
  • Options
    Bring back standing at away games I say!
  • Options
    I'm dreading going to the Millwall game and somebody behind telling me to sit down....
  • Options
    Pico said:
    Ironic