Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Scunthorpe 14/4/2018 post-match views

Comments

• Options

Comments from the wife who goes once a year after walking for the Upbeats.
    No energy from the players, ball played around with no skill or desire. Players didnt want to be there. Taking money from the supporters under false pretences. Club should refund admission money. Why can't they show the same enthusiasm as the Upbeats. No respect. Should donate their wages to the Upbeats. Embarrassing.

Well said your wife , sir
  • Options
    clb74 said:

Dont care had a drink
    Love my Charlton

Fking ditto CAFC
  • Options
    Just over 150 comments in a thread like this is actually comparatively low for a loss and disappointing performance.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Can't believe we've gone from the predictability of one system to the predictability of another. It's crazy that average League One teams can suss us out so easily.

I don't know how the average age of our team compares to other teams, but we look like a bunch of kids out there sometimes.

Our best players on current form appear to be Amos, Page/Dasilva, Reeves and Fosu. Maybe Bauer on a good day? And only a couple of weeks ago many of us were hoping we'd sign Zyro. Ok, some of us, at least. What happened to Mavididi, our great saviour. And the return to form of the prodigal son, Ajose, seems to have petered out, before it really got started.

It's driving me, and by the sounds of it, many of you, nuts.

Where's the Prozac....

It is quite a young team tbf
  • Options

JamesSeed said:

Can't believe we've gone from the predictability of one system to the predictability of another. It's crazy that average League One teams can suss us out so easily.

I don't know how the average age of our team compares to other teams, but we look like a bunch of kids out there sometimes.

Our best players on current form appear to be Amos, Page/Dasilva, Reeves and Fosu. Maybe Bauer on a good day? And only a couple of weeks ago many of us were hoping we'd sign Zyro. Ok, some of us, at least. What happened to Mavididi, our great saviour. And the return to form of the prodigal son, Ajose, seems to have petered out, before it really got started.

It's driving me, and by the sounds of it, many of you, nuts.

Where's the Prozac....

It is quite a young team tbf
    Mavididi's attitude is pissing me off, not showing the required impetus in this play off chase.

Anything less than a draw on Tuesday, I personally give up on Playoffs.
  • Options
    Luv you Charlton i do luv Charlton i do
  • Options
    We are Charlton supee Charlton
  • Options

I've been going through a whole range of emotions after this latest defeat. Initially, I wasn't too bothered, accepting the ineptitude of the team, their frailties and the recognition that Scunthorpe did a job on us.
    But as this evening has progressed, the one thing that has been nagging me is that I'm not entirely convinced that the players care as much as I do.
    As fans, we commit our heart and soul to the cause and all I want from my team is that they match that same desire, then as one we can say we win together and we lose together.
    That to me is not evident I'm afraid.
    As LB said in his post match comments, they need to stand up as men for the remaining games but tbh I remain severely pessimistic.

Too late. The last 2 games has told me all I need to know. No heart & no bottle. Too late to start now. If they couldn't "stand up" against the likes of Wimbledon then they're not going to against Pompey or Blackburn.

Out of interest, when was the last time we came back from a losing position to win ?? I don't think we've done it this season & the best I think we've done are draws away to Bury & Bristol Rovers & admittedly 2 goals against Peterborough at home. Shocking situation & a big part of the problem. As soon as we let a goal in the players know the game is up. To put it into context, Wimbledon came from 2 goals down today to WIN. Away from home.
    We've come back in three matches this season to my knowledge. Against Exeter in the League Cup and v Fulham U21/Swansea U21 in the FL Trophy.
    Sums it up really.

• Options
    Knowing my luck, I better not check on Millwall and Nigel
  • Options
    Bowyer putting the poor performance down to fatigue. Whilst there may be some truth to that, it just sounds feeble. This is the business end of the season where so often it comes down to who has the ambition, drive and determination. I am afraid this squad just don't have it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I've been going through a whole range of emotions after this latest defeat. Initially, I wasn't too bothered, accepting the ineptitude of the team, their frailties and the recognition that Scunthorpe did a job on us.
    But as this evening has progressed, the one thing that has been nagging me is that I'm not entirely convinced that the players care as much as I do.
    As fans, we commit our heart and soul to the cause and all I want from my team is that they match that same desire, then as one we can say we win together and we lose together.
    That to me is not evident I'm afraid.
    As LB said in his post match comments, they need to stand up as men for the remaining games but tbh I remain severely pessimistic.

Too late. The last 2 games has told me all I need to know. No heart & no bottle. Too late to start now. If they couldn't "stand up" against the likes of Wimbledon then they're not going to against Pompey or Blackburn.

Out of interest, when was the last time we came back from a losing position to win ?? I don't think we've done it this season & the best I think we've done are draws away to Bury & Bristol Rovers & admittedly 2 goals against Peterborough at home. Shocking situation & a big part of the problem. As soon as we let a goal in the players know the game is up. To put it into context, Wimbledon came from 2 goals down today to WIN. Away from home.
    Think we came back to win 2-1 in an evening match at home before Xmas? Rochdale maybe

• Options
    I was right in line with the final pass that led to their goal but couldn't tell if it was off side. In truth I'd phased out for those few seconds (it could've been minutes). Seems the general malaise around this club has got to me too.

malaise a general feeling of discomfort, illness, or unease whose exact cause is difficult to identify.

synonyms: unhappiness, restlessness, uneasiness, unease, melancholy, depression, despondency, dejection, disquiet, trouble, anxiety, anguish, angst;

• Options
    Results were fortunate again... Despite these players bottling it every time we get in a decent position.
  • Options
    Simply not good enough for the play offs.

The sooner our season is competitively finished and a takeover happens the better. Then, hopefully, the rebuilding of our club can commence.

For the time being we exist in footballing purgatory.
  • Options
    I'd hope our players are embarassed after those last two performances - outplayed and outfought by two supposedly lesser teams.

We look distinctly non-league.
  • Options
    Wife came to prolly her 4th game and said it was like watching the u-18s at Buckhurst Hill , where a few showed a bit of promise but the standard wasn’t great.
  • Options

Wife came to prolly her 4th game and said it was like watching the u-18s at Buckhurst Hill , where a few showed a bit of promise but the standard wasn’t great.

She sounds very astute. We have a few players who have some lovely tricks in their game who are unfortunately pretty ineffectual.

Potential doesn't win games.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Blucher said:

A lamentable performance with no redeeming features. Scunny were nothing special but were sharper, won their individual battles, kept their shape and looked more dangerous going forward than we did with our feeble attacking play. They also showed considerably more desire and fight than our players - and this from a team who had gone 10 games without a win. What an indictment. Regardless of whether or not their player was offside in the build up to their goal, they thoroughly deserved the three points.

We were disjointed in midfield and Scunny always seem to have a man over (which they probably did most of the time). The slow tempo of our play and the lack of movement made it very easy for our opponents to get everyone into position and it felt very much like some of our worst performances under Robinson. Weak performances from Zyro, KaiKai and Ajose compounded matters and, while the introduction of Fosu livened things up, we never really extended their keeper and didn’t, in truth, look like scoring.

With two tough away games coming up next week, only the most cockeyed optimists amongst us will fancy our chances of making the play-offs. Realistically, our chances have gone and it’s time to get out the maps to Accrington and The Stadium of Light.

A pretty joyless afternoon, save for watching the thoroughly admirable and entertaining Upbeats pre-match from the North Stand Bar. A great set of lads with infectious enthusiasm.

Off the field, let’s just hope that we can get ourselves out of current limbo and start to rebuild the club on and off the field. Going into another season under the present owner simply does not bear thinking about and there is much work to be done.

That pretty much sums up my feelings watching that today, but more eloquently than I would have done.
    First game I’ve watched at The Valley this season apart from The Legends game( didn’t get past Curry’s car park in the end for Bowyers first game in charge)
    I know which game I enjoyed more tbh.
    I thought Scunthorpe did a good job on us and fell over a lot, which the ref liked.
    Their front players harried us as we brought the ball out, and we never seemed to get any impetus going apart the last 10 mins and also with Fosu, who threatened to create an opening and make a bit of space most times he got the ball.
    But that would appear to be the season over. But this is Charlton. Cue 3 fantastic wins, now then a screw up in the last game.
  • Options
    Can't think of a single positive.
  • Options
    I cannot name one player today who got the better of their immediate opponent,this was so poor,Scunthorpe chased and got every second ball,their no 9 gave our centre duo a a horrible afternoon,while their central defenders had the easiest game they will have all season.back to reality,Rotherham and Plymouth games consigned to a distant memory,what has happened in 2 weeks to this team.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Need to sort out the back 4, Page and solly back please. Elsewhere Fosu must play Kaikai must not, other than that I'm not really sure, it seems like if we get off on the front foot well at the moment we do well, but the team is fragile and going behind seems to hit our confidence.
  • Options

I cannot name one player today who got the better of their immediate opponent,this was so poor,Scunthorpe chased and got every second ball,their no 9 gave our centre duo a a horrible afternoon,while their central defenders had the easiest game they will have all season.back to reality,Rotherham and Plymouth games consigned to a distant memory,what has happened in 2 weeks to this team.

Just how quickly things change in football I'm afraid, it turns very quickly but it can turn quickly back again.
  • Options
    Taking the season as whole, we don't really deserve promotion. Too many players have gone missing in too many matches, and collectively they are just not as good as we hoped. Yesterday's bench, for example, was very strong on paper, Marshall not even on it. And though Tarique made a difference, Josh & Stephy did not.

Hard to know what to do next. 1 goal in 3 games says it's clearly in attack where the biggest failing in (though it's only thanks to Amos yesterday that we kept it down to 1 conceded). Yes, Tarique must start on Tues, and I think Aribo has run out of steam (temporarily, hopefully). But after that, I'm as stumped as Bowyer & Jackson appear to be...
  • Options
    Apart from Plymouth, we had the highest published attendance in the division yesterday. Given football is largely finance driven these days, it is ludicrous that we are sitting 2 places outside the play - off spots.

Huge changes needed over the summer.
  • Options
    razil said:

Need to sort out the back 4, Page and solly back please. Elsewhere Fosu must play Kaikai must not, other than that I'm not really sure, it seems like if we get off on the front foot well at the moment we do well, but the team is fragile and going behind seems to hit our confidence.

What we saw with Fosu when he came on yesterday, he tried to change things but each time seemed to have Scunthorpe doubling up on him. Their winger was coming back to help his full back to shut Fosu out.
  • Options
    I’ve never been a fan of the loan system and especially nowadays when higher clubs hoover up all the local kids but it’s part of modern football and therefore I have to except it.
    Kaikai, is everything I dislike about loans. I can only imagine he has a clause in his loan agreement that says he must play. Yesterday his 45 minutes was the worst of a very poor lot.
  • Options
    Observations via IFollow....

Reeves shot at end was going in - camera was right in line with it.

As said before (and others have agreed) the ref did ok, if you are tripped, then its a foul - we did a lot of tripping primarily through desperation to retrieve a mis-controlled ball. Yes, Scunny went down easy, but its hard to stay upright when youve been fouled.

This team clearly has a virus running through it - and requires drastic surgery at end of season - culling the dead wood , hopefully under new ownership. If new ownership isnt forthcoming then we could well be facing a relegation battle next season.
    The performance yesterday was predictable,slow,gutless,unimaginative,leaderless,zero confidence and extremely painful to watch. One of those Robinsonesque performances where you just knew when they scored that we would do eff all for the rest of the game.Scunny always seemed to have more players than us in all areas and certainly more players wanting the ball - and that for a team that hadnt won for 11 ? games. !
    Agree with Fosu in him keeping the ball too long and not releasing to another player, but, then again noone seemed to be making the space to pass to. It was so obvious yesterday that in training most of it must be ball work, and little about team work and making space. So often i saw players maybe beat a Scunny player then look up and think what do i do now? and the ball is passed backwards.
    The tippy-tappy across the back line is annoying me, as is the apparent desire to want to play keep ball in really tight triangles in dangerous areas - and then put ourselves under extreme pressure and lose the ball and end up with oppo team having an attacking opportunity. Unfortunately this style has been ingrained in the team this season and wont change until we have a clear out and a new coach.

tbh i've got to the stage now of thinking even if we did get to the playoffs, it would likely just end up in a gutless display and having total disappointment again. Can you imagine this lot putting together 7 good consecutive performances ??!! Its clear that we are a team with no spine - as soon as go one down the body language is very visible and there is very rarely a comeback - however if we get an early goal , such as what happened v Plymouth,Northampton and Rotherham then we are a different proposition. We wont score first in 7 consecutive games, especially with the opposition teams we have to face.

Amos was brilliant yesterday - a total rock. Maybe if we did miraculously get to playoff final then play for penalties and let Amos be the star he is - tell you what, Boltons first choice must be a bloody good goalie.
  • Options

I’ve never been a fan of the loan system and especially nowadays when higher clubs hoover up all the local kids but it’s part of modern football and therefore I have to except it.
    Kaikai, is everything I dislike about loans. I can only imagine he has a clause in his loan agreement that says he must play. Yesterday his 45 minutes was the worst of a very poor lot.

I genuinely didn't realise he was playing. The invisible man.
  • Options
    The facts are plain to see, and have been for three years now. The club is in a spiral of decline that can only be arrested by radical surgery from top to bottom. If a new owner does come in in the summer, with the exception of a handful of the younger players the rest should be out of the door, along with the coaching staff, directors, ex directors and hangers-on who have turned this club into a laughing stock.
    Really looking forward to the inevitable humiliation at Portsmouth next Saturday!
  • Options

I genuinely didn't realise he was playing. The invisible man.
    You’ve hit the nail on the head. I’d go a bit further and say he didn’t play.
    To be fair to him it was an all round team performance of total kak.
    We have fallen so far now if we drew a championship team in a cup we would be talked as potential giant killers.
    Even my Millwall rooted mother feels sorry for us now.