Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Musical Instruments at Football

edited October 2006 in General Charlton
Whilst watching the diabolical england showing lat night, Was listening to the fantastic noise the croats made in the stands, along with our fans.

Don't get me wrong, the great escape is a fantastic little tune etc, but england fans only appear to make noise when the band start the songs.

This always reminds me of your lot at home with your little brass band and drums.
Just like to know what your thoughts are on them. Do you like having your band to gee the crowd up?

Personally, and i mean this as no disrespect to you lot, I'd hate that at upton park.

Comments

• Options
    my favorite song sung is by you lot.i'm forever blowing bubbles to the chim-chiminy tune,just quality.
  • Options
    I sometimes have the horn...
  • Options
    I prefer singing bubbles to chim-chimeny as we do sing the standard bubbles too often!
    But its not a patch on our song for ludo miklosko is it 04.
  • Options
    We don't really have a band. We have a drum. That's all. I sometimes take my plastic trumpet for a laugh. Anyway, I'm not sure we care to know what you like or not. I could add 'don't mean to be rude' but that sounds as hollow as 'no disrespect!'
  • Options
    Its effectively one of the things that has changed / killed the atmosphere. At first the drum was novel, and was one of the things that helped make the covered end atmosphere what it was. Not the actual drum, but Mark Garvey barecheasted smashing it about 10 thousand times in 90 minutes, walking up and down the stand.

But the trouble with something good is you become reliant on it, and its not been the same when Mark passed it on. It works well in small doses, and its a bit of an art knowing when to introduce it at the right time.

Mortain was right though, there is sometimes a trumpet as well. That should only be played in injury time, when we are at least 2 goals up, and a quick blast of the muppet song.
  • Options
    I would disagree that it is 2 instruments that have dramatically changed the atmosphere. For me it is all seater stadiums, a change in clientele, and ticket prices that make regular attendance very difficult for anyone not on an above average salary.

In addition it is worth noting that as a result of high prices, players earn ridiculously large sums which in turn distances them from the very supporters who would otherwise feel inclined to get behind them in a more vociferous fashion.
  • Options
    then how jimmy did it become that there was a cracking atmosphere in the old covered end, then when the upper tier was built it disintegrated ?

My answer is that in the old stand we had about a thousand who were prepared to sing and chant al game, and they got spread out since the regeneration. Over the time since, these numbers have dwindled, and now we have just a couple of hundred at most, in a much bigger stand.
  • Options
    I agree that they got spread out. With no seats this needn't have happened. However I still stick to my argument. With no seats those already singing would have stuck together but also new recruits would gradually be joining them. Instead new younger supporters learn nothing but to sit down and keep quiet. I've got five great kids behind me who want to sing but get discouraged by the lack of effort by other fans (in the East Stand). When I sing I even get disparaging looks. Good job I don't give a toss. If people boo when I'm next down there because we're doing badly then I'm really going to get annoyed with them.